Marshall Plexi Super 100JH

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Marshall Plexi Super 100JH

Post by Roe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:36 am

_ben wrote:
Roe wrote:the 40th anniv 45/100 I tried doesn't compare with my metros
I can't talk for the JIMI but my JTM45/100 40th anniversary works great and has no problem to be compare to a metro...or a metro to be compare to it.

What kind of metropoulos do you compare to the JTM45/100. Did it use mustard or sozo. (If sozo what kind of sozo?)
a jtm45 with RS ot and sozo regulars and a jtm45/100 with marstrans and mustards
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

windjamma

Post by windjamma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 am

Awesome pic that austintx

Was not looking to get into whats best metro or marshall, i bought this long before i knew of metroamps and i have no doubt they are awesome amps and maybe more historically correct.

I myself have not built any amps yet but do one day hope to build a jtm45 from a metro kit. This a great forum and george is doing fantastic work keep up the good work.

best wishes
windjamma

_ben

Post by _ben » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:06 am

Roe wrote:
_ben wrote:
Roe wrote:the 40th anniv 45/100 I tried doesn't compare with my metros
I can't talk for the JIMI but my JTM45/100 40th anniversary works great and has no problem to be compare to a metro...or a metro to be compare to it.

What kind of metropoulos do you compare to the JTM45/100. Did it use mustard or sozo. (If sozo what kind of sozo?)
a jtm45 with RS ot and sozo regulars and a jtm45/100 with marstrans and mustards
So it's probably a matter of taste but i'm wondering how you compare the JTM45 with RS and sozo standards to the marstran with mustards because the sozo standard are far from the real mustard. They are not clear and didn't produce detailed overdrive like the mustards. The sozo vintage are the ones to get in place of mustard and there is a huge difference between standard and vintage sozo. I have compared the 1813 standard 400v (which are not the ones in the 40th anniversary) to the sozos and the mustard. For me they are closer than the sozo standard. They produce more detailed overdrive, almost the same than a mustard and they are sligthly clearer than sozo standard. They miss chime and sozo and mustard have more chime. The sozo vintage is better than the 1813 i have tested in all aspect, more clear and more chime.
But as i said the 40th anniversary use 1813 630v with a special code. I don't know what means this code so i have to remove one and compare to the 1813 standard that i have to check if they are the same or sound more close to mustards.

So as i said it's probably a matter of taste than an objectiv appreciation. Of course you could find something else to argue than caps and OT/PT but from this point of view and considering what is used the 40th is probably as close or more to the original spec than your JTM45 with RS and sozo standard.
The 1813 standard are closer to mustard than sozo standards. The RS PT for the 40th anniversary is a replica build by drake after taking measure of originals. It's not an original i agree. The OT are made following the exact datasheet of the original made by Drake(the original double OT JTM45/100 didn't use RS OT but Drake). Drake always own the original datasheet. The conceptor of mastran argue that they are not the same because the selector output was originally on the OT and it is deported now. It's not really important, i have asked to Marshall the explanation of this architecture and they answer me that due to security standards they are not allowed to put the selector today on the OT. So OT's are exactly the same appart 10cm cables to go to the selectors.

For the Marstran it should have an advantage about replica due to the mustard inside. But if you consider the PT and OT who tell us that they are more accurate than the replica of the RS Deluxe made by Drake and the OT following the original datasheet. Personally i doubt.

I have to compare 1813 standard and 1813 of my 40th to check if they are different or not and if they are different compare them to mustard to see how close is the 40th. Considering the OT and PT there is for me only one question concerning the replica of the RS deluxe PT.

I have tested all the caps with my RM50 thru the plexi module. I have tested them many times and compare them to xicon, mallory 150, wima, orange drop and more and always get to the same conclusion concerning sozo mustard and mallory.
mustard -> sozo vintage -> 1813 -> sozo standard -> mallory 150

Just my 2 cents, sorry no to go in the same way than the hype. By the way my conclusion only apply to the 40th anniversary and i will finish my work when i will have compare the 1813s, but for me it sounds great and it's a musical amp.
(i have a superlead replica with mustards build with all metropoulos components)

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm glad you're happy withh your amp.
I'm not sure why the 40th anniv I tried didn't sound that good, there can be all kinds of reasons. soldering was very sloppy. one of the wires from the cab just fell out
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

windjamma

Post by windjamma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 am

Hi,
A question regarding the 40th anniversary heads as this amp has two impedance selectors is it possibe to have one 16 ohm 4x12 and 0ne 16 ohm dummy load so as the amp see's the correct two cabinet operation by virtue of the feedback configuration an reflected impedances when properly loaded.

thanks in advance

antosimoni

Post by antosimoni » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

I own a Super 100 JH and a Metro 12000 replica they are different animals and both very very good... the S100JH is the best Marshall of last 20 years... great tone I like it a lot is 99% the '66 JTM45 I owned, great amp
in loudspeakers we trust

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:53 am

Update: I have one of these tube eaters on my bench. voltages are 555v, 605 before standby. one of the kt66s had shortened. I'm trying to find a new kt66 that can handle this amp, will try genelex "RI"

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 am

Roe wrote:Update: I have one of these tube eaters on my bench. voltages are 555v, 605 before standby. one of the kt66s had shortened. I'm trying to find a new kt66 that can handle this amp, will try genelex "RI"
Gold lions work great

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Gold Lions have been perfect in my JH.
I regulate the AC keep it at 110v and have had 3 years without a hiccup.
If you get a power spike or run it above 120v AC...kiss the tubes goodbye.

As far as tone comparisons go...My JH with CComps, Sozo Vintage caps and lead dress cleanup
sits right next to my 60's plexs and metals perfectly. Marshall certainly changed
some of the layout from the original, at least they came close and created a great amp.
It definitely sounds different than the original 45/100s but has a great fat warm clean
tone that rivals any amp I have ever heard.

Gotta give them credit for the attempt, you don't see Ford reissuing the Model T
just because it was awesome and we like it. Marshall had to lose money on the
high end reissues, small runs and production costs must have been thru the roof.
Last edited by AustinTx on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Texas
http://www.doug-morrison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:58 pm

_ben wrote: So it's probably a matter of taste but i'm wondering how you compare the JTM45 with RS and sozo standards to the marstran with mustards because the sozo standard are far from the real mustard. They are not clear and didn't produce detailed overdrive like the mustards. The sozo vintage are the ones to get in place of mustard and there is a huge difference between standard and vintage sozo.
I agree completely, I was never happy with the sound of my amp with sozo standards, I haven't tried sozo vintage, but the standards sound muddy in the low end. Not clear or defined, at least not under overdrive conditions. Very loose, fuzzy and blatty.

I used some CDE DME caps and I know they're not historically correct but they get me closer to the sound I hear in my head. Very clear and defined in the bass without harshness.

I might order a few sozo vintage and try them out in a few spots.

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:46 pm

I agree completely, I was never happy with the sound of my amp with sozo standards, I haven't tried sozo vintage, but the standards sound muddy in the low end. Not clear or defined, at least not under overdrive conditions. Very loose, fuzzy and blatty.

Might want to check out a couple NOS Phillips / Mullard Chicklets.
Seems bring out the top end and drive a bit more Mustards.
A bit easier to find and the price is usally pretty good, $5.00 a pop or so..
Austin Texas

antosimoni

Post by antosimoni » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:57 am

why not leave stock ones?? they sound very good far away better than sozos, Im also sorry to hear yours had lead dress re-done mine is perfect
in loudspeakers we trust

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:35 pm

antosimoni wrote:why not leave stock ones?? they sound very good far away better than sozos, Im also sorry to hear yours had lead dress re-done mine is perfect

I agree...the stock MKT caps are not farty or blatty at all.
I just tried a few things until I found someting to give the amp
a unique sound. Sozo Vintage was it..even over vintage mustards.
Just worked out that way...I know I am amp crazy...I love MKT
caps used as the tone cap in stratocasters..so I stole them out of the amp.
I have a 68 100 watt that came stock with Chickets and man o man
it just rips...clear and gainy all at once..also have some in a 71 50 watt
and my 4 holer has more thick gain than my friends JCM800.

The lead dress sucked from the factory...wires were way too long, presence
wire went under the power board (and hummed like mad), cut insulation on
a wire to the standby switch caused by the edge of the power board, ground
buss made a bit of hum and preamp socket soldering was no good. Made it
right and sounds awesome, quiet and takes a fuzz really well.
Austin Texas

antosimoni

Post by antosimoni » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm

good glad youre fine now... however a little bit of humming is normal for this amp as it has the 1st kind of trannies layout
in loudspeakers we trust