Fender Twin

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Fender Twin

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:23 pm

for the organ first voodoo child version, i can reach it easyly with a 69 shared cathode, even if it wasn't such later amp. i'm not sure about the fender amp type for this one, but you know more than me.

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:24 pm

I think most of Hendrix cleaner tones can be found in shared cathode marshalls as well

I wrote
"for the Organ Trio & R&B stuff no doubt Hendrix was using Fender type amps "

There are a few reports of hendrix using a "little blond fender" in the studio

I should correct this... I have my doubts about how attached Hendrix was to amps

other than Marshalls and don't think that chasing some mystery Fender amp is a Hendrix

"tone secret"

I've noticed that a lot of people who have only ever heard the 70's style superlead circuit

assume that the clean tones are NON - Marshall amps.

Having owned many early shared cathode type marshalls over the years as well as many other cool old amps

I don't find Hendrix tones that mysterious.

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:31 pm

yes i understand. but i'm not searching for a secret there. a nice fender would be great for me, and this particular fender, with this vibrato would be great. then, why not an early blonde showman, exactly what i need : a head, a nice vibrato, a clean fender, vintage, and that's cool ! ; )
but i think that hendrix used some marshalls also for some clean tones, cause you still can get some nice clean tones even with a marshall. i wouldn't be so partial like : jimi : clean tones = only other amps, some fenders, no marshalls.

i've found some nice infos on the fenders i'd search for here :

http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

according to this site and you, for my taste,, i may go for some blonde :

bandmaster
concert
showman
superamp
tremolux
twin amp
vibroverb

the showman or the bandmaster, head, would be my quest i think.

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:41 pm

parkhead wrote:Don't forget there are two Voodoo Chile cuts

Voodoo Chile:
(the organ Jam)

and Voodoo Chile (slight Return)
Slight Return is a Marshall mic'ed from about 8 different points
with an absolutly killer mix of all of those tracks
to give the guitar its incredible surround sound motion

for the Organ Trio & R&B stuff no doubt Hendrix was using Fender type amps

p
no doubt? that is a bold claim
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:45 pm

a old KT66 marshall is a Fender type amp

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:32 pm

I should have written

"no doubt a Fender amp would have worked"

lets not forget eddie Kramer is the source of the

"little blonde showman was used on electric lady land" quote

since I was not there and have not quizzed anyone present, seen or found good pictures

or heard anything more than that particular quote I will steer clear of being sure of anything

other than Hendrix was a real good guitar player

p ;>

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 am

Alot of the 1st and second Experience albums give you that 'early type Marshall tone', like the shared cathode kt-66 type tone, STILL, these amps were not Fender. The preamp circuit may have been straight up '59 Fender bassman, but alot of changes were happening to give that amp more oomph. The cleans werent as bold and interesting as a Fender's, though they still had 'chime'. The plate voltage was different, as well as different speaker wiring (series/parralel,etc) Giving ANY MARSHALL,period a different tone as compared to the Fenders of the day.

Hendrix used at least 3 different type Fender amps, those being, Dual Showmans, twins and 4/10 bassmans. The reverb that I'm hearing on alot of Electric Ladyland stuff was Super Reverb, I actually think alot of that stuff ('Rainy Day') was tracked with the amp sounding about like the final track with maybe a little post production .

I think the Winwood/cassidy Voodoo chile jam was Hendrix using a Fender (probably a Showman). I say this because the bottom end was WAY big, bordering on flubby. This is a natural part to how alot of those black faced era Fenders sounded when being played this way.

It's funny, but most people immediatly register 'MARSHALL' when they think of Hendrix, but Fender was a large part of it.

People may disagree, but, I think the '70's era Silver faced Fenders and especially the Music Mans(hd-130) get at Hendrix super well, though these obviously werent used. To me, they bridge the gap between the variables, concerning Hendrix tone, like Marshall Amps, Fender Amps and studio techniques. The super high plate voltages sound huge interesting and clean, and when you distort them (MM hd-130 has a mv) they, because of this high plate voltage, tend to sound similar to a cranked Marshall with a fuzz face in front, the transient attack isnt so quick, distorted but not 'tight crunchy' hard rock tone. Eddie Hazel (like on Funkadelics 'Comin Round The Mountain') got tremendous results in this style using a Music Man Hd-130, phase 90 and echoplex.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:05 am

Tone Slinger wrote: Hendrix used at least 3 different type Fender amps, those being, Dual Showmans, twins and 4/10 bassmans.
There is no documentation to back that statement. Only one statement from Krammer about the Showman amp and nothing about any other fender amps. Kramer does talk a lot about at all the studios how loud he played and about Gerry Stickles carrying his marshall stacks into the studios. There are no pictures of any of his amps in the studio. Hendrix even said "I would be nothing without my Marshall's"

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:42 am

I'd be curious to see any documentation of alternative amps used by Hendrix

Stickles has said "it was 99% marshall"

I have seen photos of

sunn touring stuff
silver showmans in the backline at Monterey & other US venues
a princeton on the patio at the woodstock house
and a sound city in the backline in england

otherwise I would go with the 99% marshall statement
and consider the fender amp stuff highly speculative

p

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Please check these precious informations :
Attachments
6.jpg
(519.77 KiB) Downloaded 693 times

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Attachments
7.jpg
(631.15 KiB) Downloaded 686 times

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Attachments
8.jpg
(557.39 KiB) Downloaded 684 times

Ydna

Post by Ydna » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 pm

What book is that from?
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 pm

oh, i don't remember. got some over pages of this book. very thick ... back in 1995 when i was 15, i've pulled some pages of this book, borrowed in seattle.
got the serial numbers of all his guitars too.and great infos on his effects, and studio effects. i'll check that

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 am

I got a pic somewhere of a '68 era photo showing , I believe a twin Reverb. Backstage, or in a studio, cant recall. I'll try ad find the mag.

Proving stuff is always hard, but my ears tell me that something was a little different about ALOT of the sound on Electric Ladyland. The cleans were lavish, and were wrapped in true, tube powered 'pan' reverb.

The previuos Olympic studio stuff had that less interesting reverb type tone. I hear Fender reverb on Electric Ladyland. I think Kramer, on some of that stuff (like the begining 'shuffle' with sax on 'Rainy Day' for ex.) simply recorded what was coming out of the amp (In that case a Fender with reverb of somesort, Twin, Super ?)
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)