Becoming Jimi Hendrix

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Becoming Jimi Hendrix

Post by AJW » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Just a heads up...got this a couple days ago from pre-order: http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jimi-Hen ... 0306819104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've only read a couple chapters so far, and so far so good. The photo's are interesting. The book deals with the early years supposedly in detail with interviews with some of the players, and persons in his early career as a sideman.

Ydna
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Becoming Jimi Hendrix

Post by Ydna » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:11 am

I'm still waiting on Billy Cox's biography. That will be the most truthful biography yet. But that looks interesting. I've read "Room Full of Mirrors" which was quite informative, but I think Billy Cox will straighten out all the stories about Jimi.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:17 am

I've read a lot. Mitch, Noel, Eddie Kramer, Kathy Etchingham, etc. Everyone's going to have their own perspective, and you're never going to get the same story. The early years haven't been written about as extensively, and it would be great to hear Billy Cox's story since he was there during a lot of it.

There is a great section in the back of this book that lists performances, recordings, and TV appearances. They also list a lot of references for the curious.

Ydna
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Ydna » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Yea, a lot of people trying to make money off of Jimi's legacy. If Leon worked with Billy Cox, I think that'd be the best possible biography. Leon was with Jimi for a good part of their childhood, and could really depict their childhood better then anyone else.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps