What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

Post by basile865 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:27 pm

man for whatever its worth, I took out the bright cap completely. Then with the channels jumped together I can get some really great tone. The only time I think the bright cap would be bare-able would be through a full stack with original pre rola g12h30's and through lots of cable and effects, and at full volume in some stadium. :lol:

If you get the chance try taking the bright cap out of the unit completely and you might be pleasantly suprised. And trust me you still will have all the treble you need

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Xplorer wrote:thanks tone slinger. well, you didn't hear me because i totaly suck compared to such playing. if i post something, it certainly won't be to say : i'm the best ; ) but maybe to show some little simple things. but i can hear the music, even if i can't play at this level. fights are boring, and i'd really prefer everyone to show how to do this or that for cool things, and share awsome guitar stuffs . Let's all be some guitar gods ; ) :shred: :toast:

this one is among my favourites ( althought, a bit too fast )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOTrjKbCkFM[/youtube]

i already posted this clip page 3 , 9th post of this thread ages ago ..... well i wouldn't say it's my favorite too lol , to precise things further i think we could call this the best , final , absolute perfect , spot on woodstock tone regardless of the feel of the guitarist itself ( who apart from beeing a bit on the poser side , plays very very well ) .... it's simply IT ..no debate possible about that .... period ....i think we'll agree on this one xplorer

now someone with a utube account just has to ask him gut shots , and specs of this cab :mrgreen:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 pm

debate is allways possible ; ) principle of the philosophy, but for now, it's one of the most convincing clip. yeah, you posted it before, and i really enjoyed it. damn, he goes too fast.

yladrd61

Re: Woodstock Replica Amp PICS

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 am

Brandon wrote:Pic of the guts of my new Woodstock Replica Amp by George:

I haven't gotten a chance to crank it yet, but with the MV, standing in certain position in front of the amp, it definetly has that woodstock tone.

Although the MV is a bit funny... It seems to create a lot of dissonance in the tone, almost like when turning the output up too high beyond the inputs threshold, like in recording, and it causes that staticy sound when the volume peaks.

The MV also seems to do funny things with the mids and highs. With regular low capacitance cables, it sounds pretty unbearable, but with a good 60 feet+ of coily cord, it sounds pretty bitchin.

I guess I'm going to have to save up for an aracom attenuator. :?

Nice amp about as close as you will get to a real '69 plexi. About the only thing I would do is try to find some NOS Mullard, and Brimar Preamp tubes. Yeah the Post PI Master doesnt work well below halfway and you lose all your tone and presence controls. I have both pre and post PI Master Volume in my 1970 Super Lead so I can dial in a good sound at any vloume. So yeah in your case I would def get an attenuator I see Randy Hansen uses a Hot Plate {Non Master} on his. I also gave him a Mint NOS Phillips labeled Mullard/Blackburn 12AX7A he put it in V1 on his '71 and it sounds awesome got rid of a lot of the harshness that CP 12AX7s have :jimi:

louis

Post by louis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:33 am

Here you can see Lance Keltner playing with a 6was9 amp with a MV that
works pretty well !.............I think the amp was built by Georges if I'm not mistaking.
I wonder if it's the same MV that Brandon has ?

Have a look ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqV66sc3bHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Louis

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 am

That sounded ok(Lance Ketner).

I just dont hear many guy's PLAY in a style that conjures Hendrix.
Most dudes are just to 'bluesy' (like straight SRV type playing). Hendrix, regardless of his note choices (obviously based in pentatonic/blues scales) had a THROW (of sound) and dynamic that few can conjure.

I would get a good attenuator (Aracom) and just be done with it. The aracom will supposedly let one attenuate MORE without screwing the tone up. Hot plates sound great but at no more than 1/2 attenation. That is still LOUD as hell !

The Aracom I hear will let you get the volume down enough (while getting that great power tube tone working) to play small gigs.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

louis

Post by louis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:37 am

heatpad wrote: :thumbsup:Will do :thumbsup:

PM sent

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Brandon.. post some clips man! even if its just with the master volume you have.. anything.. give an idea of what it sounds like.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I uploaded a sound clip of me with the amp a little improv and Villanova Juction, you can check it out here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1155029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just used the macbook mic, I'll upload more soon with a better mic and a fuzz and univibe hooked up too.

Gear:

Right handed strat flipped: Fralin "woodstock" pups, alder body, 1 piece maple neck
RMC picture wah
coily cord
Metropolous early '69 spec 100w woodstock replica amp
!960TV cab w/ G12H30s anniversaries

Amp Settings:
Pressence:0
Treble:10
Middle:10
Bass: 10
Volume 1: 8
Volume 2:0
Master Volume:8.5

My timing gets a little off without a drummer, so if you can bare through that, it's a good listen.
Last edited by Brandon on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:28 pm

nice villanova tone, even with a macbook mic, and without fuzz, vibe etc. take your time on playing ; )
yeah, nice, thanks for sharing

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks man. :wink:

Yeah I'm still falling a little bit short with the tone and I'm looking into NOS preamp tubes right now and I"m open to suggestion.

I feel that the tone needs to be a little more aggressive and have more "clank" and be a little more full bodied.

I was thinking about 2 NOS mullards and maybe something else to give it that aggressive clank?

peter25

Post by peter25 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Nice tones indeed! Yup, George knows his stuff! You're really getting close to that Woodstock sound. About the NOS mullards, I only have one in the pre-amp. And the effect was more a sweetening of the sound instead of making the amp more aggressive.
The Mullard came instead of a Tungsram that was in before. The Tungsram was too aggressive sounding for my taste. A nice in between tube is an Amperex. My setup is like this: Mullard in V1, Amperex in V2, RCA in V3. The Mullard is definately the most musical sounding one. I use the RCA for a driver tube. I ave no idea how they function in other amps, but for me it makes the amp more easy to control. I mean the volume of the guitar is more usable.
So as for aggressive/brighter --> darker/warmer tone: Tungsram-->Amperex/RCA-->Mullard

Also I'd mail The Tubetramp. He knows all about glass.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:18 am

I like it sounds great we so need to jam my friend :) Jimi didn't jump channels so you might try plugging straight into one channel at a time ;)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:51 am

Love the 'instrumental jam' solo there Brandon. You captured the vibe real well on that.

I agree with two points made before here though, which are:

1) Hendrix plugged into only the bright/hi channel (I know this can be VERY bright and piercing at LOW volume, but with your ppimv you should be able to adjust that somewhat). Jumping the channels imo, gets a 'duller' type tone that loses those very airy, 'presency' type tones.

2) The tubes you are using, though not the WORST, are certainly not the BEST for the tone you are going for.

I know you just spent over a couple grand (on as NICE an amp as you will EVER find) so you probably are hesatant or even 'unable' to spend anymore at the moment, BUT , I'd recommend spending a little cash (give yourself a $200 limit) on some various tube types. Both pre and power.

Tube Tramp (Terry) can help you out a bit with some old stuff, but, you would EASILY exceed the amount of money you are looking to spend.

Besides, even 'SAME MAKE' production runs of tubes, especially pre amp tubes, can have enough difference in tone between themselves, that another brand could be just as good/close. So brand/type alone isnt a sure fire thing.

So you already have the quad of RE Mullards (Electro Harmonix) and the three reissue Mullard 12ax7's.

I'd get a couple of quads of power tubes (I would get the EH 6ca7's and the winged =c= el-34's or the jj e34L NOT the eL-34). For pre's I'd try a jj ecc83, a Tungsol reissue and the regular EH 12ax7. That would give you lots of V1,V2 and V3 options as well as a couple more options for you power/output section.

You could get all the tubes I mentioned there for around $200-$250, depending on who you get them from (I like 'Lord Valve').

You could spend that much on 2 'vintage' preamp tubes.

Experience :jimi: is the best teacher.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

something i noticed, and put here as a picture, is the fact that after the curly cables, long ... , with the fuzz, univibe, wah ,the signal is splitted in two, for two amp heads hi bright channels... it might have an effect on what you're looking for. maybe not the same as pluging the signal for one amp only ( ? ), adjusting the fuzz volume ... ( ? ) etc etc ...