What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

peter25

Re: What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

Post by peter25 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am

yladrd61 wrote: You may want to have a Pre PI Master Volume installed (I have one on my 1970, which is the same circuit as 69, except mine is shared cathode} so you can get the tone with out destroying your hearing.

Just wondering why a Pre PI MV and not a Post PI MV??

yladrd61
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Xplorer wrote:i totaly confirm, i've got myself a 69 superlead from metroamp, and i added a switch for shared/split cathode, and it's very nice, and simple to do. i think i prefer the shared cathode. you'll be happy with that.

what nos preamp tubes would you advise me yladr ? i think i'd need to replace my power tubes, one seems to have caught some heat, don't know what happend. i guess i should go for some wing c power tubes. or NOS power tubes ? what NOS then ?

i didn't try the mustard caps and vintage other caps and carbon comp on the strategic places where the voltage is high, to produce some distorted resistances. i should perhaps try, now that i've used my ears to this amp the way it is, stock, for some years now. what do you think ? is it worth it ?

I have a Phillips labeled Mullard {I63 blackburn}12Ax7A/7025A in V1. a Brimar CV4004 12Ax7 in V2 and a Relabeled Tesla ECC83 in the PI on mine. I also have relabeled Tesla EL34's. NOS Power tubes are harder to come by unless you want to pay big $$. The best value are probably East German stuff like RFT's. Be careful on eby.If possible try to buy tubes from vendors with good feedback and tubes that have been tested I have had mostly good luck so far.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm

peter25 wrote:
yladrd61 wrote: You may want to have a Pre PI Master Volume installed (I have one on my 1970, which is the same circuit as 69, except mine is shared cathode} so you can get the tone with out destroying your hearing.

Just wondering why a Pre PI MV and not a Post PI MV??
I actually have both on mine. I like the Pre PI because I still have full use of my tone, presence controls at lower MV settings. The Post PI works better at higher settings. I actually would recommend installing both, and get a attenuator too that would give you maximum flexibility depending on the room and volume requirements.

peter25

Post by peter25 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:01 am

Hm I think you are right, but the MV was a necessary mod I had to make to control the Volume level.
My preference goes to less knobs to turn the better. I might try a Pre PI MV just to check it out...
Thx!

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Just wanted to share an update...

I have my Metropoulos "Woodstock" Replica amp coming in on Thursday... and yes I'm excited, so much that the hours seem like weeks. This feels like the last day of school. Just 82 hours to go... :bang:

So I'll let you all know how it sounds and such, perhaps post up a few clips and whatnot... that is if I ever come back :mrgreen:

In the mean time, doesn anyone know of any strong drugs that could put me out into a comma until then?? :mrgreen:

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Hry Brandon, Let me know how you like it I am sure it will have the Jimi mojo are you getting the speaker cabs also ? Yeah my friend just got her JTM 45 from George last week she let me borrow it that thing sounds awesome :jimi:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Man, I hope you didnt order a JTM-45 for WOODSTOCK tone. Thats STRAIGHT ''69-'73 era SUPER LEAD .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Doug H

Post by Doug H » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 pm

I'd go shared for any jimi tones, I've read rumours he had at least one later Marshall amp modded this way, and I'd vote shared is a more classic Jimi type sound.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:02 am

yladrd61 wrote:Hry Brandon, Let me know how you like it I am sure it will have the Jimi mojo are you getting the speaker cabs also ? Yeah my friend just got her JTM 45 from George last week she let me borrow it that thing sounds awesome :jimi:
Will do! :toast:

I already have a 1960tv marshall cab with g12h 30s, but probably my next metro, which will be a 45/100, I'll get it with a full stack of the '67 cabs with the tall bottom!
Tone Slinger wrote:Man, I hope you didnt order a JTM-45 for WOODSTOCK tone. Thats STRAIGHT ''69-'73 era SUPER LEAD .
George built it custom specs to late '68 early '69 100 watters he cataloged through the years from amps that had been through his shop.
Doug H wrote:I'd go shared for any jimi tones, I've read rumours he had at least one later Marshall amp modded this way, and I'd vote shared is a more classic Jimi type sound.
I think the one george built me is split.... what is the sonic difference between the two anyway?

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Actually it is my friend that ordered the JTM45. I have a very early 1970 100W Metal Face Super Lead {Shared Cathode }, Internally Jumpered Channels Pre and Post PI Master, which is closer to the Band of Gypsies sound. I want to make it switchable between Split/Shared Cathode. The Woodstock Amps sound like Split Cathode. i.e a Brighter high treble channel.

The earlier Super and Plexi amps were shared cathode think Monterey {Super 45/100}, Are You Experienced, Axis {Black Flag}

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

WOW ! If George is building your amp based on his experience ,,,then you WONT be dissapointed ! I've heard George's builds COVER EVERYBODY's tone. From a '71 50 watter replica (The buyer yielded PURE Yngwie Tone Out Of it) to his '12xxx series 'dual voltage' VIRTUAL VARIAC builds (PURE old school EVH), I will expect you to put up some VERY ACCURATE Summer of '69 tones !

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 am

PICTURES !!!!!! :jimi:

PS: You should probably get an attenuator if you want those G12H's and your ears to survive.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:WOW ! If George is building your amp based on his experience ,,,then you WONT be dissapointed ! I've heard George's builds COVER EVERYBODY's tone. From a '71 50 watter replica (The buyer yielded PURE Yngwie Tone Out Of it) to his '12xxx series 'dual voltage' VIRTUAL VARIAC builds (PURE old school EVH), I will expect you to put up some VERY ACCURATE Summer of '69 tones !
Will do! :toast: Can't wait!
yladrd61 wrote:PICTURES !!!!!! :jimi:

PS: You should probably get an attenuator if you want those G12H's and your ears to survive.
It has a master volume installed, but I do want to save up to get an aracom attentuator.

Will post pics and sound soon!

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:38 pm

I haven't jumped into this thread until I could get my buddy's recent recordings into my hands. Since he's got a CD coming out soon, I couldn't post the full songs (sorry!), but I did do a little cut and paste into GarageBand.

I've taken some samples from three of his songs for you to listen to. But before you listen, here's the rundown of the gear.

Strat, maple board, WCR SR pickups
CryBaby Wah
Univibe
Dunlop JImi Hendrix Fuzzface
Metro 12000 series 100w, Dave Friedman built/tweaked (Tone Merchants/Racksystems LTD)
H55 30w Scumbacks

The artist's name is Jeau James.

Clip here (various formats):

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/h55clip ... ixtone.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/h55clip ... ixtone.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 am

Sounded good Jim. That dude is a better vocalist than a player though (leads that is) . He sounded alot like David Ryan Harris.