What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

Post by daveweyer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Swankmotee, nice post, filled with hard learned lessons.
Maybe we can pick it up on the West Coast topic, and tear it apart some more!

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Alrightee then sure will and is that a new thread?

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:02 am

daveweyer wrote:Frenchie,
I just happened across your post regarding the white ovoid stickers on Jimi's amps at Woodstock. There is a real high probability that they are West Coast Organ and Amplifier stickers. We stuck them on most all of Jimi's stuff when we prepped it for the road.
I spent a lot of time that summer prepping and modding equipment which was to be used at Woodstock, including Jimi's stuff, Neil Young's, Crosby Stills and Nash's and so on.
There was a last minute crush at West Coast Amp to get it all ready.
If you can ever get a close-up shot of the equipment, check for the following: our sticker was white, a horizontal oval shape, and had the text arranged in five horizontal lines.
The lines read, from the top:
FOR SERVICE
CALL
WEST COAST
ORGAN and AMP SERVICE
462-8683

If you see anything that looks like that text, in a center-justified format, in a white oval which measures 2" the long way, it's probably our sticker.
Hope this helps.
Dave Weyer
Chief Tech, West Coast Organ and Amplifier Service
hi daveweyer ...Sorry i didn't saw your post ( watched for an answer for a decent while but then abandoned ) , indeed your post contains a great deal of valuable and pertinent information , thanks a lot for that :D !
Now i'm curious to ask you if the super leads were in fact superbasses :scratch: for the woodstock show if you can remember , i mean we know for sure they were early 69 configuration plexis panels with laydown transformers and polarity switches , but split or shared , and the phase inverter caps :scratch: , don't ask you to divulge any proprietary mod info , but from afar with crappy shots , photo deduction has unfortunately has it's limits :? i ask you this because a guy on youtube did a really really really convincing job at nailing the woodstock tone , and it was with a 70 superbass .... Any info on the cabs , bass or lead ??

thanks a LOT anyway man !

daveweyer

Re: Woodstock Super Bass Amps

Post by daveweyer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Frenchie,
There were both models at Woodstock, all modded in some way or another, with speaker cabinets that had all variations of Celestion and Rola speakers, and in at least one cabinet, there were mixed types. This was a result of not having enough of identical types to put in the cabs.
Gives you a few more combinations to try.
I'm attempting to answer all Hendrix questions under the topic of Jimi Hendrix gear and mods at West Coast Organ and Amp.
Join us there. It'll be easier not to miss any questions if I don't have to check all the topics.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Is there any pictorial or video that shows Hendrix (or bandmates) using the Woodstock amps at future venues?

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MrBeasty » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:25 pm

:clap: :jimi:

Its Luke

Post by Its Luke » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Brandon

-Just wondering how the Woodstock tone quest is coming?

I checked out some of your playing on the sound cloud samples and you sound great!

Looking forward to an update.

:D

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:33 pm

good that this thread was resurected : Brandon, you definitely have to turn your SL into a west coast 6550 and use an axis fuzz with a wah and a univibe :

This is the Woodstock setup. no doubt to me. historicaly the amp was this way, fresh from Dave's workshop.
it really sounds like it.