What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Re: What Amp Do I Buy To Get Hendrix At Woodstock Tone?

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Mutt Lange liked the 2203/4 Marshalls. Back In Black (as well as other Mutt recordings, like say, Def Leppards 'High And Dry') sound pretty much like it to me. Earlier stuff, even up to 'Highway to Hell', could still possibly be be a super lead. I hear 2203/4 all over 'Back In Black' though, regardless of what Mallcom say's.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:45 am

1959s and 1992s easily do BiB. also, pics from the BiB rehearsals shows 4 holers, not 2203s. but there doesn't appear to exist any real proof
Last edited by Roe on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Anyways, Hendrix ran his amps differently than EVH. Ed used a variac, and did some serious hot biasing, still, I hear a similarity in tone on VH2 and Woodstock. Like 'Izabella' and 'DOA'. There is a drum part in 'Begginings' that comes back into the song like a part in 'Light Up The Sky'.
Yeah I listened to those tracks but I myself could barely hear the similarities... :? but when I listened "Panama" I could hear similarities. More "chime". In VHI and II I just hear a lot of distortion going on and honestly can't really make out a sweet tone most of the time... hope I don't make any VH fans upset :mrgreen:

But in "hot for teacher" on the outro when he's scaling all the way up at the very end to finish off the song, I can def hear some sweetness going on. Even in drop dead legs I can hear. I guess just the whole 1984 album!

Is he using the same 68' plexi on the 1984 album too?

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Just thought I would chime in here since I too have spent many years studying Hendrix's rigs and working on the "Woodstock" tone which I too feel was iconic. Here is a clip I did recently doing the tune everybody knows out there.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNi4bycAlo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I think you can definitely hear the tone you're asking about. The amp is a 73' 100wt into a 68' "bass" A cab with original G12H30's. The signal chain is 67' LH Strat w/Duncan Antiquities,68' Vox 846 wah,Dunlop JH-1 "Tripps" BC108 fuzzface, and Foxrox Aquavibe. As the other posters have pointed out already, you really have to have ears for this tone and zero in on a Marshall style 100 watter that gets the basic tone you've been absorbing and George's stuff will definitely get you there so take the suggestions and get the 69' style amp and you'll be well on your way to getting this sound you've been chasing!

P.S. Just to clarify, the amp was dimed but attenuated to keep from killing everything within a 5 mile radius!LOL! It was really loud though and that is DEFINITELY the most important factor in getting the sounds right!

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:17 am

P.S. Just to clarify, the amp was dimed but attenuated to keep from killing everything within a 5 mile radius!LOL! It was really loud though and that is DEFINITELY the most important factor in getting the sounds right!
LOL!

Yeah that tone on that video you got there is killer.

Yeah I've been swinging back and forth on what to do, but I think I've finally come to a decision to go with the 69' kit and add those variables the guys were talking about the screen filters (decided even though I don't feel 100% building the kit because the lead time with the 68' replica is 8 weeks! :shock: ).

Thanks for all of your helps guys and I'll keep you posted!

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 am

Brandon wrote:
LOL!

Yeah that tone on that video you got there is killer.

Yeah I've been swinging back and forth on what to do, but I think I've finally come to a decision to go with the 69' kit and add those variables the guys were talking about the screen filters (decided even though I don't feel 100% building the kit because the lead time with the 68' replica is 8 weeks! :shock: ).

Thanks for all of your helps guys and I'll keep you posted!
Gracias Brandon and best of luck on your project!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Good luck with your decision/s concerning your Super Lead purchase. You will obviously learn MUCH, and develop your ear a bit more along the way.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:15 am

Gracias Brandon and best of luck on your project!
Good luck with your decision/s concerning your Super Lead purchase. You will obviously learn MUCH, and develop your ear a bit more along the way.
:wink:
Yes I can certainly already see this!

Before I make my purchasing decision, I need to know about the filters.

So I've been reading up on the threads and found that basically the 68' and 69' are virtually the same except that the 68 has lower filtering causing it to have a "saggy" sound, and the 69 has higher filtering causing it to have a "tighter" sound...

The only problem is I don't know what these terms mean in real life :? :lol:

To me, "saggy" sounds like the right term for Woodstock, but I don't know if my lingo is the same as what is meant by more experienced people on this forum.

I know a few of the guys were talking about the filtering, but I need to know for myself what the filtering triggers in the tone so I can best decide.

So, could somebody tell me whether it's apparant in Jimi's Woodstock tone if he had higher or lower filtering at Woodstock so I can decide on what kind of filtering I should focus on ie stock 69 or mod it to 68 filtering??

Thank you in advance :mrgreen:
Last edited by Brandon on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 am

p.s. you better believe I'll be documenting this whole build with photos, videos and sound clips on this forum! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 am

Well the filtering difference between the late '67 -early '68 (12xxx) and the 'standardized' filtering from mid '68 on (like all the way up till Marshall stopped producing the 1959/1987 models (the end of the 800 series, like '90 or '91 I think) isnt much.

It is very slight, like a 'touch/feel' type thing. VERY, VERY slightly more 'open' sounding.

Even though Hendrix was probably using the 'standardized' Super Lead filtering at that point (newer amps).

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Well the filtering difference between the late '67 -early '68 (12xxx) and the 'standardized' filtering from mid '68 on (like all the way up till Marshall stopped producing the 1959/1987 models (the end of the 800 series, like '90 or '91 I think) isnt much.

It is very slight, like a 'touch/feel' type thing. VERY, VERY slightly more 'open' sounding.

Even though Hendrix was probably using the 'standardized' Super Lead filtering at that point (newer amps).
Agreed! Those amps were stock Super leads and probably standardized 50/50 cans at that point. They sound like stock amps of the period too.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:08 am

Damn Swankmotee , you pretty much nailed that tone 'bro. That is the definitive 'shiat' my brotha !

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Damn Swankmotee , you pretty much nailed that tone 'bro. That is the definitive 'shiat' my brotha !
Mant thanx Slinger for that and yeah I am VERY happy with the Dunlop FF because it really gets the sound right. Out of all the ones I demo'd it just had the Jimi tone and vibe and I knew it the minute I played the first few notes. I could go into a very long and boring story of how I spent my entire life trying to hunt down this exact tone but I think anyone who has messed with the fuzzface circuit will know exactly what I mean!

stratcat56

Post by stratcat56 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:42 am

Like this? :jimi:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyohxRwzZYQ[/youtube]

peter25

Post by peter25 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 pm

stratcat56 wrote:Like this? :jimi:
Very nice sound!! A bit of hendrix crossed with pink floyd. I like it!