Jimi Hendrix in London 1966

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JasO
Just the numbers in order: 7

Jimi Hendrix in London 1966

Post by JasO » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:55 am

Hello! This is my first visit to this site. By way of background, from 1978-1998 I was an editor for Guitar Player magazine, and I was the co-author of Al Hendrix's book "My Son Jimi," so I've been deep into the subject of Jimi -- and anything to do with guitars and amps -- for most of my life. I was glad to find this website this morning.

I've started the Jas Obrecht Music Blog as a way to present full-length interview and articles the way I used to do them in Guitar Player and other magazines. I thought some of you might enjoy one that I wrote called called "Jimi Hendrix in London," as it traces what happened to Jimi during his rise to fame after laboring in obscurity.

According to my research, not long after Jimi arrived in London, he saw his first Marshall amp: "While sitting in with Brian Auger’s Trinity, Jimi had his first encounter with a Marshall amplifier. He instantly rolled all the dials to 10 and shocked the crowd with a wall of feedback before playing launching into “Hey Joe.” “Everyone’s jaw dropped to the floor,” Auger remembered. “The difference between him and a lot of the English guitar players like Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Alvin Lee was that you could still tell what the influences were in Clapton’s and Beck’s playing. There were a lot of B.B. King, Albert King, and Freddie King followers around in England. But Jimi wasn’t following anyone – he was playing something new.”

For a while Jimi used a 30-watt Burns model that belonged to Chas Chandler, who'd brought him to England. Then, on October 8, Mitch took Jimi to see Jim Marshall of Marshall Amplifiers. “I thought he was just another one who wanted to have something for nothing,” Marshall recalled. “But he seemed to read what I was thinking and he said, almost in his next breath, ‘Well, I don’t want it for nothing. I wanna pay full price, but I want good service.’ And that’s what we gave him.”

I always thought this said a lot about Jimi. Anyway, if you're interested in seeing all of my research, you can read it here:

http://jasobrecht.com/jimi-hendrix-in-london/

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix in London 1966

Post by JimiJames » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Glad you are here and welcome.
Always great to see a fresh light shed on Jimi. New or old. :wink:
... Timeless
Awesome research to say the least :!:
Thank You my Good Man.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Awesome Welcome,

I still have every copy of the golden era guitar player mags from your time there

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Awesome Welcome,

I still have every copy of the golden era guitar player mags from your time there

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...