Best Neck Pickup for Jimi

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Best Neck Pickup for Jimi

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 am

Jimi used fender 10-38's :jimi:

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Spitfire wrote:Most of the tone is form the hands I'd say, for example, thumb over the top vs thumb behind the neck, sounds different.
Do an in depth study of he's recorded video's and watch both hands closely, there's a trick to it.
Spitfire whispers to Brandon (the angle of the pick, mate)
:)
Yeah technique and energy and feeling behind the playing goes without saying :wink:

I can definitely get hendrix out of my Gibson SG too, I believe that has to do with amp, technique and energy, and the wood and quality of the guitar. Not all hendrix, but some.

I'd also like to add that the Fralin Woodstocks are wound REVERSE for right handers playing on right hander strats to simulate hendrix's reverse strat, and how the pickups are flipped over.

I'm a lefty and I play a righty strat like Jimi, I actually had to order mine "left handed", which are in reality just regularly wound pickups! lol

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 pm

toner wrote:I think this is a great way to look at it if your guitar is bright acoustically:
Brandon wrote:where as jimi has harsher pups with a warmer body, if you do that you'll have a harsher body with warmer pickups!
I really appreciate everyone's input. I think what I've decided to do is really take the advice from above and not worry about Jimi's tone on this guitar. I have an old Joe Barden neck pickup that is fairly balanced eq-wise that I'll try in there and see if that warms up the tone a little. As far as Jimi goes, I'll concentrate on an Alder body and the brighter pickups in another build. Thanks again to all who responded.

Bill

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 am

Brandon, have you tried the reverse picking (plectrum) angle??
the opposite of the conventional 45degree, do you understand what I mean by this? 315degrees?

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am

+1 on the Callaham H/SRV pickups.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Supposedly, the Dimarzio "Area 67" pickup tone was modeled after Jimi's 1967 Monterey Pop Festival tone.

I know I like mine (but in all honesty, I wasn't really going for Hendrix tone -- I just wanted a good single-coil tone without the hum)...

staxmarshall

Post by staxmarshall » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:24 am

I got a Custom Shop '69 Strat soon after they first appeared over 10 years ago and those PU's nailed Hendrix.