Type of twin Hendrix used?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Ydna
Just the numbers in order: 7

Type of twin Hendrix used?

Post by Ydna » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 am

I got the new Hendrix anthology for Christmas, and I'm really digging all of it, one song is really catching my ear, and I'm wondering what amp he used for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmdSh4AUENI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My guess is it is a Fender twin, but I'm wondering if it is Tweed or Blackface. I know that the tweed's vibrato was tube powered, but I'm not sure about the blackfaces. That vibrato is really lush sounding. Anyone have any info/estimations they'd like to share?
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Type of twin Hendrix used?

Post by Xplorer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:34 am

from 1965 to the beginning of 1966, he had a fender twin reverb, and he used the vibrato on it. don't know the model.
i know that the early 1962 blonde fender showman had a special harmonic vibrato, very beautiful,wich was later changed for another style of vibrato.

i read on a biography that it was two brand new dual showmans, in 1968, piggyback, for the lengthy tour in the usa that started in february. he used it also in the electric lady studios. ( maybe another one ? ).

One dual showman was aTFL 5000 D serial 99110624 later owned by al hendrix, and today i suppose that janie got it.

he often borrowed amps from other musicians, especially in clubs. so ... in studio ?