The REAL woodstock strat (played again)

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

The REAL woodstock strat (played again)

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 am

I just found out that Jimi's original Woodstock Strat is being played on the current 'Experience Hendrix' tour. I've seen KWS and E. Johnson playing it on youtube. KWS is in the latest Vintage Guitar Magazine talking about it. He said there are two full time body guards for it, and that it has its own first class seat when flying ! He said that the guitar is WAY more famous than anyone else on the tour. From listening to the youtube clips, Johnson sounds as usual, even on this guitar, like a NON guitar kind of sound (sort of like a keyboardist mimicking a guitarist ). KWS, on the other hand, really makes the guitar sound RIGHT. I can hear that it is indeed the actual woodstock strat when he plays it. It has that sound, like the solo's in the studio versions of 'Izabella' and 'Earth blues'. It has a little more 'tooth' than the blackie.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: The REAL woodstock strat (played again)

Post by basile865 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 pm

wow man thats interesting! Suprising as well. Cool :rock:

basile865

Post by basile865 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 pm

haha I realize how sarcastic my previous post sounds - but its not. haha Thats really awesome that they're letting it make some music again!

basile865

Post by basile865 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

interesting KWS sounds just like himself on it (or should I say SRV :roll: )

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Well yeah, KWS does have a certain "energy" that is very SRV, BUT....... I will say that he still has a preiminent FLAIR, that allows him to make a guitar take on a certain seriousness (damn my spelling is leaving me) that is elite, amongst eliteist. I will say that KWS is better off playing a short set ('cause he needs to adhere to that calling......... which is "DUDE, stretch out just a little bit more..... take a chance my brotha, it's now or never"). I wish I could play a few licks on it (Jimi's strat).

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm

does any one have some links

basile865

Post by basile865 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHWYEt3c ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thumbsup:

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:04 am

Check this amazing playing. After watching the below link it just reafermed to me what a amazing player Hendrix was seeing all these killer riffs even though they are done by EJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xnl1QHDZ8Y

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 am

. I can hear that it is indeed the actual woodstock strat when he plays it. It has that sound, like the solo's in the studio versions of 'Izabella' and 'Earth blues'. It has a little more 'tooth' than the blackie.
What are the differences between the two strats?

More "tooth"? What quality on the guitar would effect that difference from the blackie?

basile865

Post by basile865 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:06 am

Id be willing to bet that the white one weighs more then the black one - heavier wood is usually brighter and sustains better where as lighter wood is a little less bright/sharp (tooth)

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 am

basile865 wrote:Id be willing to bet that the white one weighs more then the black one - heavier wood is usually brighter and sustains better where as lighter wood is a little less bright/sharp (tooth)
There is no more sustain than the black one on the Band of Gypsy's Machine gun solo at the Filmore east :jimi:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Well, I'd wager that the white one probably weighs more than the black one too. Also, the set up of the two strats was probably a little different,with the white one possibbly having a slightly lower action. I say this because the white one almost sounds like it would 'fret out' on higher bends if it wasnt so Heavily amplified,especially around the 17th and 18th frets. Maybe it(action) wasnt set lower, and it was just the total playability of the blackie,as far as set up went,was a little more accurate.

One thing is for sure,both those strats,imo,regardless of Hendrix's association (though man, he made'em sing),are the best ANYONE could hope to have. Those era necks are sort of thin, but from the ones I've had my hands on, have the coolest c type shape.

Uli Roth (that avatar of yours Brandon, sort of looks like late '70's/early '80's era Uli) is said to have the Blackie strat (since Monikka Daneman had it (uli's friend/girl friend) up to her death. If Uli has it, he has been smart to NOT tell anyone.

Mitch Mitchell sold the Woodstock strat in '89 I believe, due to alot of breakin attempts,etc, because EVERYONE knew he had it. Hendrix GAVE that guitar to Mitch when Mitches first child was born (in July '70 I think). The guitar obviously stayed on tour with them though, all the way 'till Hendrix's passing.

Most other 'known' Hendrix guitars have been sold due to the owners fears of break ins, etc.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Never thought i'd say that some day, but i love what steve vaî does with his tong and his fingers ... ouuh .... ha ha :drool:
just right between 8:25 and 8:42 , mh yeah that's good. Ha ha ha !
but i'm straight.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Steve Vai is great, what he lacks in natural,earthy,communication and soul, he makes up for in mathematics and logic. His total contribution is fairly huge in most respects.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:14 pm

I think they kept that guitar in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall's porch for 40 years...the Olympic White finish has not yellowed at all from what I can see in these clips...

Here is what a 1968 Olympic White Fender Stratocaster looks like when it is a working instrument played in smoky clubs for 40 years...Hard to believe it is my first guitar! Still my number one go to guitar after 30 years of playing...