ToneStack Calculator help needed

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

harkkam08
Just the numbers in order: 7

ToneStack Calculator help needed

Post by harkkam08 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi guys I just discovered tone stack calculator and it seems like a great program but Im not sure how to use it for what I want.

I am going for 69 and later hendrix live performances like BOG and Berkley and I am building a 69 superlead to spec.

What I dont understand is the chart when I change the values.

1) Which range of Hz do need more off and less off to get closer to the hendrix sound in other words how can his sound be explained in Hz?

2) I am assuming the higher the db the more you will hear of that particular frequency so if the lower frequencies are boosted you are going to hear more low end?

3) I know what hendrix sounds like but Im not sure how his sound is defined in words (ie. lots of glass and mids etc....). Does hendrix have a tight low end or big and boomy, I dont know how those words translate into sound. If you guys have sounds clips so I can get a reference of what tight low end sounds for example that would be great. Did he have lots of mids, what about the highs.

These descriptions will help me shape the tone in the tone stack calculator I hope

Brandon

Re: ToneStack Calculator help needed

Post by Brandon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 pm

harkkam08 wrote: 3) I know what hendrix sounds like but Im not sure how his sound is defined in words (ie. lots of glass and mids etc....). Does hendrix have a tight low end or big and boomy, I dont know how those words translate into sound. If you guys have sounds clips so I can get a reference of what tight low end sounds for example that would be great. Did he have lots of mids, what about the highs.
+1

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

the tone stack and tone stack calculator by extension are only a small part of the specs in an amplifier. there are many other factors that will affect the final sound. the tone stack calc is an aid for modifying a few well known tonestacks. it's whole purpose is to quickly do the Hz math for you to make the process easier. Most of Hendrix's amps don't seem to be modified, just off the shelf Marshalls. A 69 spec should do you just fine, you won't get much help from the tonstack calc other than putting in the different marshall tonestacks to see the difference and perhaps decide on one over the other.

those terms like "glassy" "boomy" etc are total bullshit and don't refer to anything helpful whatsoever. most people (myself included) don't have a good reference point for specific Hz so they end up using those. Any good early style marshall will get you in the Jimi ballpark. he had slews of them, different years, models, etc, not to mention different amps/cabs/speakers in the studio. a cranked 69 into one cab and a fuzz face will do what you want.

toner

Post by toner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Tone stack component values are only a very small part of the total sound. I don't think using the TS calculator will help much in pinpointing a specific tone. It can be useful to learn how those components affect the relative bass, mid and treble levels but that's about it. (You are correct in your number 2 point.)

You will find that those changes produce relatively subtle real world differences unless you drastically change a certain component like the mid pot value, etc.

Other variables such as guitars/pickups, speakers, output transformer, filtering, split vs. shared cathode, bright cap, negative feedback, type of signal capacitors, etc. have a larger combined effect on the tone than changing a few values in the tone stack. As you probably know, you have to look at the big picture and consider everything rather than just focusing on a small portion of an amp.

One typical difference between various Marshall tone stacks are the slope resistor and cap. I'm not sure of the official name of the cap but it's the small one connected to the treble pot input. The earlier amps use a 56k/250pF combo, which has less mids and gain for a slightly more Fender type of tone. Later amps use a 33k/500pF (or 470pF) combo, which has more mids and gain. You can see this in the frequency curves that the calculator creates. Keep in mind that adding or reducing mids also adds or reduces overdrive gain. Most of the guitar signal is in the mids (roughly 300Hz to 1kHz).

I would start by trying to learn about the amps Hendrix used at the time for the tones you want. What year were they? What speakers did he use? Are there well documented mods that he had done? Then try to duplicate all of those variables as closely as you can.