Fender Strat Japan 68' Reissue

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Fender Strat Japan 68' Reissue

Post by theactor19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Anyone know where I can find this guitar?
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone seaker

Re: Fender Strat Japan 68' Reissue

Post by Tone seaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:37 am

yea me too

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 am

You can find plenty (2nd hand) at ishibashi.co.jp. If you are located in the EU there are couple of sites (the ones i had found were in the UK) that sell Fender Japan guitars. Ishibashi also has an ebay store but they put a very small fraction of what's available in their site.

Since there are CIJ and MIJ RI '68s (own one of each btw) the CIJ have the thinnest neck probably available by Fender, the MIJ is (for my tastes) chunky (i replaced mine with another CIJ RI 68 neck). Both comes with Texas Specials, MIJ seems to have small size pots, MIJ comes with better quality gig bag (ok, who cares right? lol).

Quality-wise, imho, they are both top notch...both come with steel blocks and all that jazz...

Good luck!

;)
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 am

Freedom is right when he says "Good luck!" because Japanese guitar stores make it very hard on foreigners to purchase their products. The Fender Japan guitars are fantastic in general...better than the Mexican made guitars and at least as good or better than the American made guitars. They have a better selection of vintage reissue guitars that are readily available as well...you don't have to get the custom shop to make them for you as you do in America.

But it will cost you big time to get one of these guitars from Japan...you usually have to find a go-between that will buy the guitar for you and then he gets a cut and then you pay exhorbitant shipping charges...by the time you have done all this (assuming you can even get them to sell you a guitar-many just refuse to sell to foreigners) you have paid as much or more as it would cost you to pay the U.S. Fender Custom Shop to build you a fucking expensive guitar...

I wholeheartedly recommend buying a replica neck and body from a reputable company like Musikraft or one of the other many fine companies that have knowledgeable staff that know the contours of the vintage instrument you are trying to re-create even better than the staff at the Fender Custom Shop. Buy period correct decals and finish it yourself or find a knowledgeable guitar finisher to paint and finish your guitar, then buy quality hardware from various sources and get a good tech to set up your guitar properly and you will be set...

But guess what...after all this you are still shelling out a shitload of money! Maybe not as much as you would pay for a Fender Custom Shop guitar (somewhere around $3,000) or what you would spend in time aggravation and money by dealing with a Japanese seller (a couple thousand and untold bullshit to deal with)...

I know others may have had a better experience or have other suggestions, but this has been my experience...

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 am

garbeaj wrote:...because Japanese guitar stores make it very hard on foreigners to purchase their products.
Strange, i've bought one from Ishibashi and another from stringnet.co.jp (i don't know if these guys sell Fender Japan guitars anymore) and never had a hard time...on the contrary, they were very kind, gave all the info i needed, both transactions were flawless, at least in my case...

But i agree that the shipping and customs charges are a bit high so people interested in buying from Japan should take these costs under serious consideration...

Right now for instance i see a white Fender Japan (ST68-TX so that's a MIJ) for about $1200 on ebay (from Japan)...shipping costs to the US seems to be $120. If the customs charges are 25% over the total item plus shipping value then that's another $330. Total about $1650...

Yeap, that's some serious money, so maybe it's better to find one 2nd hand on ebay "locally" (from the US if you live in the US etc).

I guess i am lucky, bought both 2-3 years ago when you could still buy them new directly from these stores...the euro was strong back then as well so the total costs were way less than buying even the cheapest MIA Fender in the EU back then...

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:54 am

I recenly bought a '68 MIJ lefty strung righty, Olympic White on ebay for $700. I see lots of MIJ on ebay :jimi:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am

Freedom wrote:
garbeaj wrote:...because Japanese guitar stores make it very hard on foreigners to purchase their products.
Strange, i've bought one from Ishibashi and another from stringnet.co.jp (i don't know if these guys sell Fender Japan guitars anymore) and never had a hard time...on the contrary, they were very kind, gave all the info i needed, both transactions were flawless, at least in my case...
You did get lucky because I found that I couldn't order anything without spending a lot more money to give a go-between their cut and pay exhorbitant prices otherwise. They just plain did not want to deal with Americans...I tried to buy from Ishibashi and they just responded with an e-mail that said they do not sell guitars outside of Japan. I don't think stringnet.co.jp is in existence anymore...

I do think that maybe Europeans have a better shot at dealing with the Japanese, but I have to say there really are alot of hurdles for Americans. If I spoke Japanese I might have a better chance buying a guitar in person. Japanese guitar stores in the Shibuya set outrageous prices and they expect you to bargain and haggle like an Arab bazaar or something, but if you are an American that doesn't speak Japanese I have found that you will get taken for an expensive ride...Just my experience, and I'm not saying that others didn't have a completely wonderful experience, but this is my take on it...

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 am

garbeaj wrote: I tried to buy from Ishibashi and they just responded with an e-mail that said they do not sell guitars outside of Japan.
They told you they don't sell guitars outside of Japan or that they don't sell brand new Fender Japan guitars outside of Japan? Their policy changed 2-3 years ago, brand new Fender Japan guitars seems to be kind of non-export items for some reason...but last time i've checked their site there were at least five 2nd hand '68 RIs (both CIJ and MIJ) and not bad condition either...
garbeaj wrote: Japanese guitar stores in the Shibuya set outrageous prices and they expect you to bargain and haggle like an Arab bazaar or something, but if you are an American that doesn't speak Japanese I have found that you will get taken for an expensive ride...
Sorry i am confused...are we still talking about online internet transactions? Dealing locally is a whole different story no matter where you are (lol, you should come to Greece some time)...online purchases are way more simple (ok, at least to make the purchase, aftersales is another story). See the item, ask your questions, if you like the price tag just make the payment and wait for it. No bazaar situations no nothing...
garbeaj wrote: Just my experience, and I'm not saying that others didn't have a completely wonderful experience, but this is my take on it...
Yeah man, no worries, just sharing experiences here... ;)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm talking about buying on the internet, over the phone or in person. I spent two years trying to buy a reissue H.S.Anderson madcat Telecaster (the Prince guitar) which you can find in any shop in the Shibuya and they are available online, but I could never make it happen...I was either shut down entirely or they priced it so far beyond reason that I just gave up. It has been a major headache. Even the Fender Japan guitars are difficult-tried to buy a replica of my original '68 Olympic White Fender Strat (not the '68 reissue we are talking about here, but a more accurate one-the regular production models have completely wrong headstock decals) and no go...I have tried over and over again, but no luck.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am

Hmmm I need a good solution here. I'm in Canada... what other way can I go?

I thought about building a guitar, but with my tech/handy skills being rather low, and getting things shipped from the US, it'll end up costing a lot. Just the right neck from Musikraft is like 500 plus shipping.

Wish the 68 reissue was more accessible to canada.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:02 am

theactor19 wrote:Hmmm I need a good solution here. I'm in Canada... what other way can I go?

I thought about building a guitar, but with my tech/handy skills being rather low, and getting things shipped from the US, it'll end up costing a lot. Just the right neck from Musikraft is like 500 plus shipping.

Wish the 68 reissue was more accessible to canada.
One thing to remember is that the Fender Japan '68 reissue not the best replica of a 1968 Strat. I wonder why they didn't even get the headstock decals right?! It seems pretty good otherwise, but for all the shit you have to go through and the expense they should have gotten that part right...Just my opinion...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:00 pm

i'm not disapointed for the price, putting together an original 70' fender usa maple neck big headstock, beautiful, a player, with a modern Black body 2 points tremolo, and a nice choice of pickups, slider's grey bottom 69 replicas, lefty. that's perhaps even cheaper than buying this japanese strat reissue, or equal , and it doesn't matter if you're outside japan or not :D . it became a very good Hendrix/gilmour strat, much much better than the custom shop stuffs ...

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 am

hmmm american 70 reissue strat ey? I played one once in a store and wasn't too keen on the pickups, though that can be changed of course. Is the neck maple capped? I remember the neck being pretty beefy I think, though it was like 2-3 years ago that I tried it. Also, whats the finish like? I think its poly.. but is it a thick coat?

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:02 pm

I agree that the Fender 'Japan' reissue's were great. In the mid to late '90's, the ones shipped to America seemed to be either basswood bodies (black, white or sun burst) or Ash. I liked the Ash ones.Funny thing is that MOST real '68's were made of Alder.

I see that the newr 'Japanese' '68's are more like the real article. They have the proper logo that Fender first started using by mid to late '68(that includes the 'stratocaster' part on the logo) and they being made of alder.

Check for guitar shows around your area. I found a late '90's sun burst '68 reissue a couple of yrs ago at a guitar show. I didnt get it, but it was only $600. Also keep trying ebay.

For Hendrix fans, these Japanese '68's are very good, regardless of the body wood used, etc. They have very accurate maple capped fretboards and have that certain mojo that NO current Fender USA made strat has.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:59 pm

So I just purchased a Fender 68 Reissue strat. It is in the mail though, so I'm anxiously waiting for it. I'm pretty excited.

The body is alder. I think its either a mid 90s or a mid 2000s version. Not sure. The colour is vintage white.

The only catch, is that its a lefty guitar. But the price was right, and its not an easy guitar to find.. So I will have to flip it for righty.