Post Clips of YOUR Hendrix Tone

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mathd

Re: Post Clips of YOUR Hendrix Tone

Post by mathd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am

Awaiting parts for a neovibe
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znmTctj1k8[/youtube]
Last edited by mathd on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mathieu

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm

my little contribution to this cool forum theme ^^
but it's not even played through a real cab, it's using some cab sims for my metro 69 SL. It makes the signal too hi fi and thin unfortunately.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1377987734/7 ... b3a901a404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:20 am

It's not a Hendrix tune, its not a Hendrix setup
but I do make use of everything I've learned from you guys ...

keep in mind this setup is for very small club use

the microvibe is modded ... in what I think is the correct way
there are three amps in use 2 modded 5 watt valve jrs and a 15 watt Traynor guitar mate

each amp saturates slightly differently so that you can get that thunderous definition at club volume

check it out ....

http://youtu.be/Jq-cX9PQR9M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p
replica ?? I don't need no stinking replica ...

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 am

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 pm

JimiJames wrote:'69 Stratocaster Marshall Plexi...
Great groove! Like a "What if Jimi or Trower played reggae?"...very nice playing. You've got a great rhythm sense, and most real working musicians will tell you that is what is sorely lacking in most guitar players- nice job!

I'd love to see some good pics of that Strat...Is it the real deal? It kinda reminds me of the black Monterey strat...

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:49 am

garbeaj wrote:
JimiJames wrote:'69 Stratocaster Marshall Plexi...
Great groove! Like a "What if Jimi or Trower played reggae?"...very nice playing. You've got a great rhythm sense, and most real working musicians will tell you that is what is sorely lacking in most guitar players- nice job!

I'd love to see some good pics of that Strat...Is it the real deal? It kinda reminds me of the black Monterey strat...
+1 Great groove there JimiJames! Original steeped in the real feel. Sweetest tone.
dave

Skip Regan

Post by Skip Regan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Here's a clip of my band jamming on the riff from Who Knows: http://skipregan.com/archives/606/jam-who-knew/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Skip Regan on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 pm

http://youtu.be/zeR2FsMbFv8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 pm

interesting video.
did you say that VH's number 1 amp was jimi hendrix's amp ?

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Xplorer wrote:interesting video.
did you say that VH's number 1 amp was jimi hendrix's amp ?
I have no proof other than the same simple mod nails both sounds

I flipped out ... I can't play van halen but both sounds are completely THERE

Eddies amp is after all an early one from a time when Marshalls were not well distributed.

It gets you thinking

p

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:23 pm

and what was this mod again , other than the bright cap removed ?
Yes, but judging the video sound, i'd say both tones are not so far but much more complex.
the mod you're talking about might be one important common point among some others, i'm sure we both agree on this ^^
isn't VH using a jtm45/100 when peoples are taling about the brownsound ? and didn't he use a single coil pickup in the bridge, directly to the volume and the output ?
But VH using the jimi hendrix's own amp, i'm not sure .. ! this is more easy to imagine that they both featured a well known mod at this time perhaps, on the same amp i guess. VH just pushed it harder with no fuzz. Jimi ( my opinion ) didn't play his amp at max, and he pushed it with his fuzz when needed. it makes a difference, right ?

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Xplorer wrote:and what was this mod again , other than the bright cap removed ?
Yes, but judging the video sound, i'd say both tones are not so far but much more complex.
the mod you're talking about might be one important common point among some others, i'm sure we both agree on this ^^
isn't VH using a jtm45/100 when peoples are taling about the brownsound ? and didn't he use a single coil pickup in the bridge, directly to the volume and the output ?
But VH using the jimi hendrix's own amp, i'm not sure .. ! this is more easy to imagine that they both featured a well known mod at this time perhaps, on the same amp i guess. VH just pushed it harder with no fuzz. Jimi ( my opinion ) didn't play his amp at max, and he pushed it with his fuzz when needed. it makes a difference, right ?
the amp is just like a stock 12 series including a 5k bright cap ... this amp is based on the 68 split cathode superlead or 12 series
stock they seem to bright for Hendrix ... but he used them

I prefer the shared cathode amps personally

if you listen to johnny b goode from in the west hendrix does not engage the fuzz till about 2:10 when the feedback note of the solo starts ... the live tone is allways fuzzy even when the fuzz face is off

also listen to the Hendrix Blues album there are many examples of his different marshalls they all sound great but have the common element of sounding thicker and more distorted than a stock marshall especially when you consider he's using strats

I was going for a Hendrix tone and the Van Halen sound landed in my lap without looking for it

I was surprised

don't forget these sounds are captured with a terrible cannon camera with no echo reverb or "production"

p

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 pm

i prefer the shared cathode a lot too.

i'm sorry, i'm a bit confused, do you mean 5000 pf instead of the 500-560 pf cap that goes along with the 470k resistors ?
i could try , i've got some Rs 5000 pf i think, but perhaps rated 1kv.

on the hendrix blues album, he also uses some fender amps sometimes, but i see what you mean. but i still think it's not difficult ( at least with a superlead ) to reach such distortion with a strat, or even much much more, even with the amp not at max. and it's perhaps still fuzzy when he rolls down the volume pot just a bit ? but i don't say that he never had his amps at max.

it's well known that hendrix was looking for more treble in his tone. But i think that it doesn't mean that he wanted his tone to be thin. I suppose that he wanted it to be thicker, and with more treble at the same time, and more power. looking for a compromise. and it might make sense perhaps for a little part, since he claimed to have sounds in his head that he couldn't reach.

i think that it's not a bad compromise when you have your amps loud enough, and maybe some fuzz, and that you still want a tone clean enough, to play the strings softly enough : this may give some nice thick tone, and a lot of expression with attacks when needed. like being the pilote of a monster ferrari engine or something, but driving it softly, mastering it, you know ?

and sure, it may involve your mod, into this engine.

parkhead

Post by parkhead » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Xplorer wrote:i prefer the shared cathode a lot too.

i'm sorry, i'm a bit confused, do you mean 5000 pf instead of the 500-560 pf cap that goes along with the 470k resistors ?
i could try , i've got some Rs 5000 pf i think, but perhaps rated 1kv.

on the hendrix blues album, he also uses some fender amps sometimes, but i see what you mean. but i still think it's not difficult ( at least with a superlead ) to reach such distortion with a strat, or even much much more, even with the amp not at max. and it's perhaps still fuzzy when he rolls down the volume pot just a bit ? but i don't say that he never had his amps at max.

it's well known that hendrix was looking for more treble in his tone. But i think that it doesn't mean that he wanted his tone to be thin. I suppose that he wanted it to be thicker, and with more treble at the same time, and more power. looking for a compromise. and it might make sense perhaps for a little part, since he claimed to have sounds in his head that he couldn't reach.

i think that it's not a bad compromise when you have your amps loud enough, and maybe some fuzz, and that you still want a tone clean enough, to play the strings softly enough : this may give some nice thick tone, and a lot of expression with attacks when needed. like being the pilote of a monster ferrari engine or something, but driving it softly, mastering it, you know ?

and sure, it may involve your mod, into this engine.
all caps are exactly as stock for a 12 series none extra none removed

i will not explaim more till i've spent more time with the mod and settled the specs
this was my first try of a brand new idea

p

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:00 am

yes but what do you mean by 5k ? for a resistor i can understand, but for a cap i'm less used to it.
And also, good luck on your new idea exploration, it's interesting