fuzz question

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

fuzz question

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 pm

is there a Fuzz that will give a Band of Gypsys or Gloria tone that is in a pedal board friendly box (like a tube screamer size) that does not require modding and is silicone thks

Xplorer

Re: fuzz question

Post by Xplorer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm

a simple dunlop blue fuzz is nice for what you're looking for

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Xplorer wrote:a simple dunlop blue fuzz is nice for what you're looking for
Those are not square pedal board friendly. I need something I can put on my pedal board that is the size of a Boss Pedal but sounds like a fuzz face silicone based and sounds good, close to BOG and Gloria thks

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:31 pm

you can't allways get what you want ....
then just clone the dunlop and put it in a pedal enclosure.
see your prioritys , the tone, or the ... Enclosure.
But let's see what the other know about some nice sounding square pedals, close to bog's tone .
try maybe this brand who did the london fuzz and the mjm 60' vibe. they're square and sound nice.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm

is this silicone or germainium
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/hendrix-70-fuzz-face" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and what about the MXR 108 fuzz

HTH

Post by HTH » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 am

checkout the Analogman stuff, can't go wrong with his pedals.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 am

I'm waiting impatiently for these to come out ($99.99 a piece): http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/FFM3-hendrix

There are three different flavors: Germanium, Silicone, and Hendrix [which is also silicone]. I have, and love, the Jimi Hendrix Dunlop fuzz face now, but these are way smaller, have a 9v jack, a LED, and the input and output are swapped so that they line up with the rest of the pedal world too. On its own it still looks like a fuzz face, but if you see it next to the real deal you can tell how small it really is. There are demos from NAMM on YouTube and other places.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 pm

The Roger Mayer axis fuzz TC style may be what you're looking for.

Coony

Post by Coony » Tue May 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Perhaps this might be of help:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=27245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short: I studied some schematics floating around on the net and concluded that the commercial axis fuzz which Roger Mayer sells and Jimi was 'possibly' using since at least early '69 (red FF with white strat knobs) until early '70 had it's forerunner: the driver circuit from the octaviO. In fact, if you study the schematics, it's obvious that the axis fuzz is a simplified version of that helios driver circuit.
Like I said in that thread, the sound is between a Ge FF and the commercial axis fuzz, and retains the best of both worlds: smooth sound, touch sensitive, noiseless, interacts very good with wah, cuts through...
So...yes silicon transistors but with a germanium sound!

Regardless whether Hendrix used this specific circuit or something else, I like it a lot. I gives me the warm, analog germanium sound but with much less noise and instability, and yet has more definition and control... It's hard to discribe sounds, perhaps you should try it out yourself?! Of course, you should find someone to build it for you...

The key thing to remember is this: you want to be pushing a great sounding Marshall superlead, for just that bit more... Without it, a fuzz sounds just like a fuzz...