Hendrix Amp for $1000

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Hendrix Amp for $1000

Post by theactor19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Hey Guys,

So here is what I need, an amp that does Hendrix tones as close as possible to his live sound. BUT there are 2 specifications.. 1) It would need to be a Combo since my band usually takes cabs to gigs, a half stack is simply too big. Besides, we mostly play bars and small clubs, not large festival/amphitheatres. and 2) Budget is around $1000 more or less.

There is a guy on youtube that gets an amazing hendrix tone out of a 1960 Tweed Bassman Combo, but of course these are like $5k minimum. I doubt the the newer Tweed Bassman Combo Reissues can do it, but wondering if anyone has experience with these.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone Slinger

Re: Hendrix Amp for $1000

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Hendrix used a Bassman combo on much of 'Electric Ladyland' if I'm not mistaken. This circuit is the foundation of the Marshall super lead. What happened to your Vox ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I thought the Bassman was only used on "Rainy Day, Dream Away"/"Still Raining Still Dreaming"...

The reissue tweed Bassman combos sound the same as the vintage ones to me.

That said, you have to narrow down which era Hendrix tones you are looking for. Monterey Pop? Woodstock? Atlanta Pop? Isle of Wight? Or was there a specific album tone you are looking for.

IMHO, you can get great Hendrix tones with a Vox wah (reissue or vintage), a Fuzzface or clone of a Fuzzface and a good Octavia unit and virtually any Marshall amplifier.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:20 am

Yes, Bassman is the foundation of the JTM45/100, first, then it derived from this to the superlead. the 45/100 is just a british clone of the bassman from what i know, but with british components.
If you want Hendrix experience tone ( and also some later hendrix tones like BOG, and many studio records ) , go for it ! It should be possible to do for less than 1000 $ , yes.
Or a Superlead on shared cathode, but personnaly, my preference is the 45/100.
It's not surprising at all that someone achieved a nice hendrix tone with a bassman.

on Axis, the cleans came from a sound city "one hundred" ( it's basicaly the origine of the hiwatt cp103 ) .

for your needs, get a JTM 45 , combo , you have plenty of these all around, many kits available, for much less than 1000 $. You won't regret it.
or, like me ... a 45/100 head, an attenuator ( or home made attenuator ) , and a single 1x12 or 2x12 cab ( the other three speakers being replaced by big resistors mostly, in a classic 4x12 cab circuit ) . it'll give you more options and it won't be too big. and load a nice G12H30 75hz 16 ohms inside.
then a nice fuzz, a nice wah, a nice univibe ... single coil low gain pickups in a nice strat ...
i bet 1000 $ that you'll get a Hendrix tone out of it ^^
3 days building it and you'll get yourself an amp you'll keep all your life.

but first of all, after what kind of Hendrix tone are you looking for ?

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Hendrix used a Bassman combo on much of 'Electric Ladyland' if I'm not mistaken. This circuit is the foundation of the Marshall super lead. What happened to your Vox ?
there wasn't even clean headroom on tap.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:12 pm

This right here is the tone that I'd be very very happy with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaiDuiLzas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I messaged this guy on youtube, and he said the new bassman reissues won't get this sound as they have more gain and less clean headroom. For my budget he recommended getting a silverface super reverb and blackfacing it.. what do you guys think?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Then what you are looking for is a Stevie Ray Vaughan tone and not a Hendrix tone at all...

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:27 pm

garbeaj wrote:Then what you are looking for is a Stevie Ray Vaughan tone and not a Hendrix tone at all...
the video i posted above definitely has more of a hendrix vibe than a stevie vibe, thats for sure.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:32 pm

theactor19 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Then what you are looking for is a Stevie Ray Vaughan tone and not a Hendrix tone at all...
the video i posted above definitely has more of a hendrix vibe than a stevie vibe, thats for sure.
I was referring to the advice to get a blackface style Fender amp with lots of clean headroom. That is exactly what Stevie used.
I wouldn't say the tone of that clip sounded all that much like Hendrix...it just so happened that the guy was playing Hendrix licks from the Electric Ladyland live version of "Voodoo Chile".

If you really want the sound from that clip I would recommend the reissue Bassman. I think that stuff about too much gain is a bunch of jive. The vintage ones sound the same to me, but you should try a new Bassman so you can judge for yourself.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:49 pm

theactor19 wrote:This right here is the tone that I'd be very very happy with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaiDuiLzas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I messaged this guy on youtube, and he said the new bassman reissues won't get this sound as they have more gain and less clean headroom. For my budget he recommended getting a silverface super reverb and blackfacing it.. what do you guys think?
the tone from the clip is quite easy to obtain. This original live version of voodoo child ( the licks that the guy plays in the video ) came from a fender amp actualy, from what i remember. and it had a cab with ten speakers, not sure exactly so i won't affirm this but there was something about the speakers, something unusual. maybe some 10" speakers or something.

But with a 45/100 you get there, no problem. with a superlead too but with a more modern feeling.
put your mix into a good reverb and it'll sound very close.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Exactly, A Fender !

Hendrix actually didnt use a Marshall a whole hell of alot on Electric LadyLand. He did use a Marshall on the tracks that were recorded in England (All Along The Watch Tower), and obviously the short Voodoo Child version. The long version was a Fender for sure. Kramer said it was a Bassman (head/cab or combo ?) 'House Burning Down' is the same set up as that Long Voodoo, as was 'Have You Ever......'. 'Long Hot Summer Nights' was obviously a Fender (sounded like a 4/10 Bassman)Hendrix was using a 'modded' fuzz box, that has never been identified. Many say it was a early Big Muff, but I think it was a Mayer mod of some sort. 'House Burning Down' has that 'hands on tape' flange that is so unique, but he was using a Fender amp. I can get sort of close to that sound with my Roland Jet Phase.
By the way, a Bassman (like most Fenders) has MORE plate voltage than Marshalls, resulting in MORE clean headroom (that wobble, BOOM to the low E in the long 'Voodoo') than a Marshall. At heart, Hendrix was a Fender amp tone lover imo.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:25 pm

Hendrix Amp for $1000
My fav In a 1x12 combo is a stacked input JCM800 4010 stock w/Celestion G12-65.
...but, I do believe the amp you choose should have a loop option.
Tone Slinger wrote:...Hendrix was using a 'modded' fuzz box, that has never been identified...
pre-Jordan BossTone ? :what: :shrug:
IIRC, wasn't just RM makin', or trying to make, pedals for...
The fact that there were other people out there on the same path as RM
so yes, never to be identified...

...EK & Jimi; m a n, whatta' team.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 am

Neil

HTH

Post by HTH » Thu May 02, 2013 9:08 am

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a Bluesbreaker combo - you'll get that Hendrix tone all day long out of those amps. Nice all round package.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 am

for your needs, get a JTM 45 , combo , you have plenty of these all around, many kits available, for much less than 1000 $. You won't regret it.