Hendrix Amp vs. EVH Amp

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Hendrix Amp vs. EVH Amp

Post by Xplorer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:03 pm

wow, fantastic story !! Lucky guy !!

i wish i had lived that ! thanks for telling us.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 am

By the way, unless it's too much asking, would you share some pictures of this Bandmaster ? maybe even some clips ? this would be fantastic ! :D

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi !
i found this mod interesting, although i don't know what it would do to my amp. you talked about two 25uf ( polarized kind ? orange drop ? ) in place of the two 0.68uf .
is it dangerous doing it on my amp ? what voltage rating would you suggest ? 160v i guess.
i'm supposing that it's boosting the preamp stages, am i right ?

" While y'all may think I am nuts I have been inside some famous 70's Canadian Artists Marshalls and they were all very hacked up...
The best sounding one, and still one of my all time favorite live tones was a 72, or 73, 100 watter with the .68 caps replaced with 25uf caps from a fender. the amp was not hacked up and I remember thinking "that is the smart way to mod a classic amp, you'd only know if you read the part values" Add p-90 ... and rock out "

parkhead wrote:I will go out on a limb here and speculate that not only was the EVH Rose Palace marshall a very special early super lead
but that it probably has an interesting history prior to Eddie picking it up in the mid/late 70's

Based on what I think the circuit was (I have no proof) I suspect it was modded before Eddie got his hands on it.
I suspect it would have been an ex Hendrix, Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page Marshall.

I have Zero proof of this except for the following circumstantial bits of evidence

per Eddie
it was an English 230 volt Marshall and Eddie needed to buy a variac to make it work

It is from an era when most of the Marshalls arriving in the US were being brought in via Touring bands
right as distribution was being Picked up by westbury/unicord

We all know its is an exceptional sounding amp, I think Roger Mayer or someone else was inside of Hendrix, Clapton Beck and Pages amps ... not major tweaks but perhaps little things like dropping a 330uf bypass cap on V2
(perhaps not so much for Clapton... but even to this day Beck gets incredible gain and saturation out of a "stock marshall")

and of course Jimmy Page says his " amps were Boosted to 180 watts, which is either BS or what he thinks it sounds like"
Page also says "roger used to make us all cool stuff, then Hendrix came along and he forgot about us"

Anyway that's my personal theory
Yes the Plexi was stock the way EVH found it, but it had already been well tweaked for a Major British artist who
"lost it on tour"

While y'all may think I am nuts I have been inside some famous 70's Canadian Artists Marshalls and they were all very hacked up...
The best sounding one, and still one of my all time favorite live tones was a 72, or 73, 100 watter with the .68 caps replaced with 25uf caps from a fender. the amp was not hacked up and I remember thinking "that is the smart way to mod a classic amp, you'd only know if you read the part values" Add p-90 ... and rock out

Back in the Day the Local FM Rock station and City TV would hook up and do live simulcasts you'd crank your stereo
and tune in the TV very high tech ... the announcer was JD Roberts now John Roberts of CNN
They also did great stuff like featuring a then UNknown SRV at the El mocombo

enjoy... live the tone was staggering
http://youtu.be/VlZGyPywouw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

p

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu May 09, 2024 9:37 am

bobtec wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:55 pm
I have a 1963 Fender Bandmaster that Hendrix used at the Hollywood Bowl,It was moddedwith higher cap at the PI, 2 extra 380PF domino caps and 2,220K resistors going from the filter cap at point B on schematic... West Coast amp repair did alot of work on everyones amps back in the 1960;s(Eric Barret met JH working there) It was across the street from my High School on Highland and Sunset blvd...I was really lucky to meet and to hang with him..First at Music City,he was buying guitars..What he would do is try out 4-5 different strats,buy them take the best bits,and give the others away to pals...Peter Tork of the Monkees,was a pal of mine and Hendrix would come and hang,PT had all these girls at his house most just had a tee shirt on..Really cool guy..In 1971 the Hollywood bowl remodeled the place and I bought a 65 bassman and this 63 bandmaster,Rodger Lynn got a 65 Deluxe..Like VanHalens Plexi they were house amps..Hendrixs could play a Pignose with a wha and it sounded great,Jimi Live and Jimi in the studio are two way different beast... :jimi: soft spoken nice guy who listened to some stupid high school kid....
Hi bobtec ! Just PM'ed you :)