Hendrix Strat used on "Bold As Love" instrumental 1967

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

porterburst

Hendrix Strat used on "Bold As Love" instrumental 1967

Post by porterburst » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Does anyone know which Strat Hendrix used to record the instrumental version of "Bold As Love" that came in the purple box set? This instrumental take was recorded at Olympic Studios, London 1967.

Most of the pictures I've seen of Hendrix in 1967, he was using a black or white small head stock Strat with rosewood fret boards. He also had a black small head stock Strat at Monterey. I've also seen pictures of him in 67 with a black small head stock Strat with a maple neck.

In 68 is where you you see pictures of Jimi with black or white strats with bigger head stocks.

What year was his early black and white small head stock strats?

Tone Slinger

Re: Hendrix Strat used on "Bold As Love" instrumental 1967

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 am

Hendrix,if I'm not mistaken, aquired the white Strat with rosewood fingerboard and large headstock in mid '67.He also had a sunburst one of the same specs (this may be the one that got burned in Miami that Frank Zappa aquired). The small headstock strats were not seen after Hendrix got these two strats. The white strat was probably a '66 model. Large CBS headstock, but the logo only had 'Fender'on the headstock. The 'Stratocaster' part of the decal started in mid '68.
It is my belief that pretty much all of the axis stuff as well as 'Electric Lady Land' was recorded with the white CBS strat with rosewood fingerboard. The black strat and white strat with maple fingerboards were aquired in Sept. or Oct. of '68.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)