Jimi Hendrix Fuzz

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

stalkertwo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Jimi Hendrix Fuzz

Post by stalkertwo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 am

Hi i have http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... face-pedal
I watching Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock and i saw red fuzz with white knobs, so its arbiter or what. Just is so sweet cracked sound voodoo child is so cracked sound it does arbiter? thanks.

Tone Slinger

Re: Jimi Hendrix Fuzz

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:53 am

Not sure I understand the post, but the red Fuzz Face that Jimi used extensively in '69 was said to have been a modified unit. Roger Mayer had tweaked many of Hendrix's pedals from as far back as '67. That red one (with white stratocaster knobs) started as a germanium circuit. I think I recall that Mayer possibly converted it to a 'hybrid' circuit that utilized both germanium and sillicon transistors ? Not sure. I think it has been refered to as the 'Axis Fuzz' circuit version of the Fuzz Face.

To my ears that particular unit indeed sounded sort of 'in between' a standard germanium Fuzz Face and a standard Sillicon Fuzz Face. In '68 Jimi was using mainly the standard germanium models. In '69 he seemed to have used the modded Fuzz Face the WHOLE time, and in '70, he seemed to have only used the stock new Fuzz Faces (sillicon).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 pm

So he used arbiter germanium and silicon.

yladrd61
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 pm

There is speculation that it might be a combination Silicon and Germanium Fuzz Face :jimi:

Roe

Post by Roe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:51 am

Roger Mayer is said to have built an axis fuzz into a red fuzzface box. the axis is a hybrid not of Ge and Si transistors but of PNP and NPN silicon low noise transistors
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:51 am

Please tell me amp settings Jimi Hendrix Woodstock, Rainbow Brdige, Isle of Wight, Berkeley, i already using bass 7 gain 7 treble 7 voice 9 super champ x2 and too using all 6. fuzz face is fuzz max volum half thank peace and happines.

mathd

Post by mathd » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:49 pm

stalkertwo wrote:Please tell me amp settings Jimi Hendrix Woodstock, Rainbow Brdige, Isle of Wight, Berkeley, i already using bass 7 gain 7 treble 7 voice 9 super champ x2 and too using all 6. fuzz face is fuzz max volum half thank peace and happines.
For woodstock try axis fuzz, remove 0.1µF on drive pot.
You need classic marshall amp.. set amp volume for light overdrive, fuzz volume for slight boost, and fuzz drive pot for light fuzz(or to your taste). throw univibe after it and you will be pretty close. with a Strat of course.

bass middle treble.. you have to play with it and see what you like.. only way. Different room, amp, speaker..
Gain and voice?? i dont use any amp with this stuff :P
Mathieu

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:02 am

y´now I had possibility buy super champ and i saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cz8vWZY_k he had too super champ just is vibro champ is too similar ? i did on the fuzz face fuzz half and volume max.

mathd

Post by mathd » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 am

stalkertwo wrote:y´now I had possibility buy super champ and i saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cz8vWZY_k he had too super champ just is vibro champ is too similar ? i did on the fuzz face fuzz half and volume max.
Well, i dont know the super champ and vibro champ.. need to look at the schematic to see if there are similarities.
Also, i dont know these amp, but usually Volume on max is too much... you do not want a distorted amp with fuzz.
Mathieu

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:13 am

I give record from my playing but i dont now when, and in the video i show settings amp and effects ok. Peace and Happiness :jimi:

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:35 am

there is some speculation that the original "axis fuzz" is just an octavia without the octave circuit in place. This circuit does have kind of an in-between germ and silicon sound. there is a post about this circuit in this forum if you look hard enough

matriarch

Post by matriarch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 pm

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 am

Hi, so which settings should i use i using gain 7, treble 5 bass, 8,7. please Jimi Hendrix amp settings what he had settings amp, i heard he put all on maximum just volume is not on maxium thanks peace and happines.

mathd

Post by mathd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 am

stalkertwo wrote:Hi, so which settings should i use i using gain 7, treble 5 bass, 8,7. please Jimi Hendrix amp settings what he had settings amp, i heard he put all on maximum just volume is not on maxium thanks peace and happines.
You have to find what work the beast for you.
To me every hendrix show sound different, every amp/speaker are voiced differently so there is no baseline setting..
Most of use are using different amp, guitar, pedals, most of us are playing in small room, bedroom level.

Really you have to find what work best for you there is simply no other way.
And with a high gain amp.. you can get close but no where near the real hendrix sound.. really its not easy, people are trying to reproduce the magic sound for years :O.

What pedal are you using?. how do you set them?. what guitar your using? what amp your using? Did you do any mod to any of them?
I can try to help but with the language barrier its not easy and we need to know your complete setup.
But for the amp setting.. you really have to find what work best for YOU, follow your ear. its the only way.
There is no "easy way".
Mathieu

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 am

I don't believe pot settings will help much since few things vary as much as potensiometers.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39