Hendrix set up.

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Hendrix set up.

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 pm

So he only ran his volume about half way up ?

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm

From the setting on his amps when they came in to West Coast Organ and Amp, it was pretty clear that he didn't turn the volume all the way up, maybe around six or seven tops, on average. But with Marshalls of that era, that's pretty much all there is anyway, they don't get any louder, but just take on a little more saturation. Everything is already clipping at that setting, something that frustrated Jimi; if you have a base setting of very loud, then it's hard to get any dynamics above that to make your point. It's one of the reasons Jimi and many other guitar gods of that era wanted me to get even more power out of the amps, and I went to some extremes to do just that.
There's a whole story on how that played out, what we tried, and what ended up in the field at various gigs, a subject that seems to fascinate others contributing to this forum and a number of forums about Jimi's gear and tone.
DW

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:26 pm

daveweyer wrote:There's a whole story on how that played out, what we tried, and what ended up in the field at various gigs, a subject that seems to fascinate others contributing to this forum and a number of forums about Jimi's gear and tone.
DW
Thanks do you have any links to that info I am and have been a huge Hendrix freak since the early 70's and play a 68 super trem marshall and really want to dial it in Hendrix style. Thks again :)

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:47 am

daveweyer did you work on Jimi's earlier amps and gear when he was still mostly using the JTM 45/100 and '67 Black Flag ?