Dunlop Band Of Gypsies Mini Fuzz Face

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Dunlop Band Of Gypsies Mini Fuzz Face

Post by AJW » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 pm

It is based on the octavio minus the octave effect: http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/FFM6-band-of-gypsys

I don't know how it could be accurate since the actual reference device is lost, but I bet it sounds good in any case. I have the mini germanium fuzz on my board now.

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Dunlop Band Of Gypsies Mini Fuzz Face

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:53 pm

sounds like a symbol of marketting, nothing like the bog tone BUT .... he didn't play it with the right amp and rig and settings so ....
as you said, they don't have the original in hands, and i doubt roger mayer told them what to look for ...
and the bog tone can be achieved with different fuzz, some more than others, it's mainly the amp , the amp's settings combined with the fuzz settings, the speakers ...
but eric gale, in the videoclip, sounds like a killer guitar player i like it.

funny, i sometimes think that the octavia that Jimi used this night was actualy just a frequency doubler, with no fuzz stages before, except for the real axis fuzz that was already in the chain.
because if you try one fuzz + one octavia it's out of the picture. or maybe, just the octavia alone at some point, and the fuzz turned off.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:51 am

Yeah I was thinking that if it was by Dunlop, it was be anything but accurate. Rather a modern recreation that is somewhat close. But I dunno.. no other companies (except KR Musical) tried to recreate the mysterious red fuzz face. I currently have a RM Axis Fuzz.. so I wonder if the Dunlop would be anywhere near as good.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:04 am

the kr gypsy is said to be a clone of the current axis fuzz by RM.
anyway, the original axis fuzz used by Hendrix can't be the same as the current axis fuzz for production ...

all we can do, just like Dunlop did with marketting, is to go through trials and errors, and test ... through the right amps and settings i'd say, very important ....

judging the quality of the RM effects through my 45/100 , and throug my other amps, i'd say that RM uses a 45/100 to hear his effects, because they sound very good this way ... but it's just a guess.

mathd

Post by mathd » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 am

Did anyone try KSA733-Y silicon transistor in a PNP fuzz face(get a few of them and select the lowest hfe)
Thats what am using, had to tweak the collector resistor for 4.5v on Q2C. but its working very good :O.
Am really not a fan of fuzz face, but this one i like it.
Mathieu

matriarch

Post by matriarch » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:01 pm

I got it and sent it back. IMO, the two blue Dunlop minis are superior and the RM Classic and Axis blow the Dunlops away.
The thing has immense available Volume. Unity w/ a Strat was below 9:00. Not as much fuzz as the others. It didn't clean up at all. With a wah it didn't do what the BOG fuzz did (no sweep/treble boost). Closest to BOG, IMO is the RM Classic.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:43 pm

The JTM 45/100 is the absolute gold standard amp for effects, especially Hendrix style ones!
George's version is just incredible. As far as Dunlop I don't hear the famous red Fuzz Face in this mini circuit.
The red FF is a mystery to many people still.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

matriarch

Post by matriarch » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:57 pm

yngwie308 wrote:The JTM 45/100 is the absolute gold standard amp for effects, especially Hendrix style ones!
George's version is just incredible. As far as Dunlop I don't hear the famous red Fuzz Face in this mini circuit.
The red FF is a mystery to many people still.
yngwie308
I got a Germino Fillmore 100...... early '67 Black Flag clone. The early '66-68 are a great pedal base.

The only clue w/ the red Fuzz Face Jimi used, is how it reacted w/ a wah when both were used together. The sound got more trebly w/ no real sweep. Live footage shows Jimi would sometimes just turn it on and solo without working the wah. This and the fact that when he went to the neck pu and got that really fat sound, tell me that red fuzz was some type of ge fuzz.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Yes I had a '67 JTM Black Flag Super Bass that was an absolute monster, super clean and miles of headroom, like a 200 watt Hiwatt!
The Germino Fillmore is a great head and free of the ghosting that is notorious in the filtering of the Black Flags with the twin rectifiers.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:35 pm

The JTM 45/100 is the absolute gold standard amp for effects
+ 1

and Hendrix superlead's were apparently turned into some kind of 6550 powerful 45/100 according to Dave , now it makes sense and i was sure about something like it.

now turn the volume of the fuzz at max, and the gain .... down to zero , there you're getting really hendrixy . big surprise, but it totaly makes sense now .

will probably turn my second 45/100 to a 67 blackflag, it sounds very cool !

matriarch

Post by matriarch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:11 am

Xplorer wrote:
The JTM 45/100 is the absolute gold standard amp for effects
+ 1

and Hendrix superlead's were apparently turned into some kind of 6550 powerful 45/100 according to Dave , now it makes sense and i was sure about something like it.

now turn the volume of the fuzz at max, and the gain .... down to zero , there you're getting really hendrixy . big surprise, but it totaly makes sense now .

will probably turn my second 45/100 to a 67 blackflag, it sounds very cool !
Good luck getting the fuzz tone Jimi got setting a Fuzz like that :palm:

Jimi certainly ran the Fuzz full up on his Fuzz Faces. Blatantly obvious when listening to live shows such as Atlanta, Rainbow Bridge, Isle Of Wight. For whatever reason, at some point during his 1970 tour the red FF, as hears at Woodstock, Berkeley was switched out for a Si FF. The wah/ FF interaction when he uses both is obvious. It howls like a banshee. This happens when the Si FF FUZZ knob is full out and a wah is stepped on.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:37 am

wait for some clips i'll do, and we'll talk about it again ...
Btw, Dave, who put the white knobs on the red fuzz ( germanium ) you're talking about , and modded his amps, explained us more about it recently.

matriarch

Post by matriarch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 am

Xplorer wrote:wait for some clips i'll do, and we'll talk about it again ...
Btw, Dave, who put the white knobs on the red fuzz ( germanium ) you're talking about , and modded his amps, explained us more about it recently.
Yeah, I read all about it. Awaiting your clip

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:23 pm

:)
Sure. I'm awaiting the transistors mentionned, will build this classic fuzz with the mods mentioned and one of these days you'll see it posted.
Meanwhile i tried with a simple dunlop blue fuzz , and it's really pushing the preamp in a hendrix way, with a 45/100. you should try, it'll give you another perspective.
Now for star splanged banner, maybe a tad of fuzz ( 2 or 3 is enough ) blended into this already wild overdriven/fuzz tone, and no problem ..

matriarch

Post by matriarch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Xplorer wrote::)
Sure. I'm awaiting the transistors mentionned, will build this classic fuzz with the mods mentioned and one of these days you'll see it posted.
Meanwhile i tried with a simple dunlop blue fuzz , and it's really pushing the preamp in a hendrix way, with a 45/100. you should try, it'll give you another perspective.
Now for star splanged banner, maybe a tad of fuzz ( 2 or 3 is enough ) blended into this already wild overdriven/fuzz tone, and no problem ..
I don't need to try it. I can hear how his wah reacts w/ the fuzz. It only reacts that way w/ the fuzz up full. Have you filed your fret yet? Another fantasy. :palm: