NHPD (New Hendrix Pedal Day): BBC tone nailed!

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: NHPD (New Hendrix Pedal Day): BBC tone nailed!

Post by garbeaj » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Stu is amazing...as has been said, a true gentleman and dedicated to incredibly accurate reproductions and incredible twists on classic tone machines. I have what I believe to be his second or third SupaFuzz Mk 1 that I had him build into a reissue Solasound Professional Mk 1.5 Tonebender housing and I have his grey prototype Vox wah circuit inside an original grey Vox wah enclosure. Both amazing pedals that he built for me over 5 years ago that have become some of my most cherished pedals-and I have a lot of vintage pedals so this is a big statement from me.

I'm going forward with a few new projects with Stu and I'll post some clips featuring the resulting pedals further on up the road...

Glad to hear that Stu is gaining fans...his pedals are excellent and I know everyone will love whatever they get from him full stop!

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:06 pm

shakti wrote:

Awesome !!!! I badly want that fuzz now !!

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by shakti » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm

matriarch wrote:
shakti wrote:Nice! Do you know which fuzz he uses for that one?
http://chasetone.com/red-stardust-germanium-fuzz/
Sounds interesting. He describes it as a fuzz that sounds like an "exploding sun", and that's not a bad description of the Olympic fuzz. His clips is great, much better than mine, and it does sound quite similar to the Olympic, although it's hard to say without having them side by side.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

shakti

Post by shakti » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Although it appears from what he writes here, that the Red Stardust is a tweaked classic fuzzface circuit (two transistor), so doesn't seem to be the same circuit at all?

http://chasetone.com/dallas-arbiter-ger ... e-replica/
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

shakti

Post by shakti » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:39 am

Another tell-tale sign that the Olympic Fuzz is the same fuzz that Hendrix used on those BBC recordings, is how it reacts with a wah. It sounds exactly the same, IMHO. Listen to the BBC Hear My Train A Comin solo or Little Miss Lover, or the ending of Day Tripper... I've never heard a wah and fuzz combination that sounds quite like that, and this Olympic Fuzz sounds just like that with a wah (again IMO).

Edit: at least with a non-buffered wah, that is. But Hendrix, AFAIK, never had any buffers in his wahs. Roger Mayer has said he never modded his wahs, and this was only shortly after he started using a wah anyway.

Roe

Post by Roe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:30 am

Mayer have said he added buffers in the studio though
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:16 am

neikeel wrote:That sounds like fun! Very nice early Hendrix vibe, my favourite tones (personally prefer over later BOG era).

Stu is a whizz at these things and a gentleman too!

I have recently built a Mk II clone with his help and guidance (he sent me a nice set of OC75s) so I must post some pics (I started thread on Marstran so I guess there).
http://forum.marstran.com/viewtopic.php ... 3968#p3968

Wonder how to build one of these :?: :scratch:
How does the Mk II sound compared to a Fuzz Face ? Also what is the main differences between a Mk I an Mk II I am thinking of buyiny or building one ? Also how does it sound with a wah ?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:07 am

yladrd61 wrote:
neikeel wrote:That sounds like fun! Very nice early Hendrix vibe, my favourite tones (personally prefer over later BOG era).

I have recently built a Mk II clone with his help and guidance (he sent me a nice set of OC75s) so I must post some pics (I started thread on Marstran so I guess there).

How does the Mk II sound compared to a Fuzz Face ? Also what is the main differences between a Mk I an Mk II I am thinking of buyiny or building one ? Also how does it sound with a wah ?
I would recommend joining the D*A*M forum...it is a great place to learn about the various incarnations of virtually every fuzz ever made. That was how I hooked up with Stu and David Main who have built the best fuzzes I've ever owned to my exact needs and wants.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:09 pm

yladrd61 wrote:

This one is early Page in a box. Not really had chance to try it with a 45/100 and strat at volume, although did use it at at gig in front of my Cry Baby and it worked pretty well. My Crybaby is one that Stu converted to true bypass over 10 years ago tho'.
Neil

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:10 am

neikeel wrote:This one is early Page in a box. Not really had chance to try it with a 45/100 and strat at volume, although did use it at at gig in front of my Cry Baby and it worked pretty well. My Crybaby is one that Stu converted to true bypass over 10 years ago tho'.
I wouldn't say any of the standard MKII circuits currently being produced are anything close to Page's circa 1966 Solasound Professional MKII Tonebender...I've tried all permutations of the Tonebender circuits (Mk I, Mk 1.5, Mk II, MK III and with different parts including NOS OC75s) and none sound like Page's Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin I Tonebender. The closest I've heard is Stu's SupaFuzz Mk I clone...different circuit from the other Tonebender circuits. Mine has OC75s and sounds amazing...the closest modern approximation of the Tonebender that Page used in The Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin I and that Alan Parker used in the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" session. Both Page and Parker bought their units in 1966 at Macari's.
Last edited by garbeaj on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:19 am

garbeaj wrote:
neikeel wrote:This one is early Page in a box. Not really had chance to try it with a 45/100 and strat at volume, although did use it at at gig in front of my Cry Baby and it worked pretty well. My Crybaby is one that Stu converted to true bypass over 10 years ago tho'.
I wouldn't say any of the standard MKII circuits currently being produced are anything close to Page's circa 1966 Solasound Professional MKII Tonebender...I've tried all permutations of the Tonebender circuits (Mk I, Mk 1.5, Mk II, MK III and with different parts including NOS OC75s) and none sound like Page's Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin I Tonebender. The closest I've heard is Stu's SupaFuzz Mk I clone...different circuit from the other Tonebender circuits. Mine has OC75s and sounds amazing...the closest modern approxiamation of the Tonebender that Page used in The Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin I and that Alan Parker used in the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" session. Both Page and Parker bought their units in 1966 at Macari's.
Well for me through a JTM50 set to just clean side of crunch with my tele or split coils on my R0 it does the job, I have not tried playing all teh options as you have, just listened to the clips and Stu's advice as to which circuit and parts to go for to get the sounds I was after!
Neil

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Wow that fuzz sounds awesome!

RE: the Axis fuzz. I have one, and I do think its a great pedal, however it is very dependent on the amp being set perfectly to the pedal. Yes it can sound shrill and thin, but if the amp is set right and the tubes are pushed, it can sound quite good. The only thing I really dislike about it is using it with a wah pedal.. when you roll back your guitar volume to clean up the fuzz and kick on the wah pedal, you get a ton of noise and hiss, which is not apparent with other fuzz pedals.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:10 pm

neikeel wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
I wouldn't say any of the standard MKII circuits currently being produced are anything close to Page's circa 1966 Solasound Professional MKII Tonebender...I've tried all permutations of the Tonebender circuits (Mk I, Mk 1.5, Mk II, MK III and with different parts including NOS OC75s) and none sound like Page's Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin I Tonebender. The closest I've heard is Stu's SupaFuzz Mk I clone...different circuit from the other Tonebender circuits. Mine has OC75s and sounds amazing...the closest modern approxiamation of the Tonebender that Page used in The Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin I and that Alan Parker used in the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" session. Both Page and Parker bought their units in 1966 at Macari's.
Well for me through a JTM50 set to just clean side of crunch with my tele or split coils on my R0 it does the job, I have not tried playing all teh options as you have, just listened to the clips and Stu's advice as to which circuit and parts to go for to get the sounds I was after!
If the sound you were going after was the Page Tonebender sound and you feel that confident you have it nailed, I would love to hear a clip?

Fuzznut

Post by Fuzznut » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:51 pm

shakti wrote:Managed to upload the video now:

Really cool tone, nailed it! Great stuff! Axis: Bold As Love, beautiful as always... :jimi:

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:49 pm

is there a way for us to get our hands on this pedal as well? :jimi:
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.