What's this effect?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

FL6

What's this effect?

Post by FL6 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 pm

It's Prince but it's a Hendrix sounding tune.
The first couple of notes are at the end of using a wah which he turns off then turns something on for the large scream at exactly 3:23

Maybe not an effect but he turns something on...then holy crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClmC05iDkA&t=3m20s

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What's this effect?

Post by Xplorer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 pm

i'd say that the foxrox tzf paradox is involved , an effect simulating the through zero flanging, you can hear it into are you gonna go my way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... hec8#t=121

there may be some chorus, and a load of distortion stuffs involved, pedal , amp , maybe a bit of octavia stuff ... just several stuffs in the setup. easy to reproduce i'd say

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 pm

FL6

Post by FL6 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Xplorer wrote:i'd say that the foxrox tzf paradox is involved , an effect simulating the through zero flanging, you can hear it into are you gonna go my way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... hec8#t=121

there may be some chorus, and a load of distortion stuffs involved, pedal , amp , maybe a bit of octavia stuff ... just several stuffs in the setup. easy to reproduce i'd say
Yes. He uses mostly Boss pedals in this setup and there is a flange there.
Being so Hendrix-like tone, I don't think Jimi had a flange but most likely the univibe.
It's that main scream note he gets that I'm interested in.
What about the note, do you hear a single note bend or is he grabbing another string with the bend getting a 2 note sound?
Thanks for the input.
Last edited by FL6 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Hendrix had some real tape flanging , in the studio. much better than these pedals.

for the notes you're talking about, i'm not sure to see what you mean

FL6

Post by FL6 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Xplorer wrote:Hendrix had some real tape flanging , in the studio. much better than these pedals.

for the notes you're talking about, i'm not sure to see what you mean
Hendrix always did that sound live too.

For the note(s) involved the scream seems to sound like one note being bent but sometimes the other strings that go along with the bend also sound as well. I'll have to take a close listen. Off till tomorrow.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Hendrix never did tape flanging live .: you simply can't.
this is very different from the univibe.

i let you figure out what you're looking for, about the note, not sure to see what you mean.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Fri May 01, 2015 8:29 am

Prince's lawyers always pull down his content lickety-split, so I can't listen to the clip you posted. If you are talking about the "screaming" single note licks in "Purple Rain" and "Let's Go Crazy", I have reckoned that it is a short delay causing an effect like octave double bends (which you hear at the beginning of the solo of "Dazed and Confused" for example...) but Prince is achieving this sound with one note. I think it is just a short setting on the Boss delay. All of the powerful sounds from the Purple Rain album are the Hohner Madcat Telecaster and early 80s Boss pedals.
Last edited by garbeaj on Sun May 03, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Love it! the effect does help it allot, but the key thing is the bend involves two strings, Gary Moore used to do it allot too. the strings are bent together in one motion.

The note he hit hits just as he whams the whammy will likely be the high e-string note, so should be easy to find it

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue May 05, 2015 7:36 am

So what's the name of this Prince song so I can hear what you are talking about?

AJW

Post by AJW » Wed May 06, 2015 5:26 pm

I don't know what the exact sound you heard was, but Prince used the BOSS BF-2 flanger a lot. When you get the depth and rate knob in the right spot they get a glorious warbling feedback sound that you cant get with other flangers. I used to have one back in the eighties.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 am

AJW wrote:I don't know what the exact sound you heard was, but Prince used the BOSS BF-2 flanger a lot. When you get the depth and rate knob in the right spot they get a glorious warbling feedback sound that you cant get with other flangers. I used to have one back in the eighties.
That may be it...I wish the OP would post the name of the song and the timing for the part he is talking about...I have nearly every Prince recording so I know I could find it and hopefully figure out what part he is talking about!

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 pm

garbeaj wrote:
AJW wrote:I don't know what the exact sound you heard was, but Prince used the BOSS BF-2 flanger a lot. When you get the depth and rate knob in the right spot they get a glorious warbling feedback sound that you cant get with other flangers. I used to have one back in the eighties.
That may be it...I wish the OP would post the name of the song and the timing for the part he is talking about...I have nearly every Prince recording so I know I could find it and hopefully figure out what part he is talking about!
I will. Sorry I missed the email notification for the replies. I'll upload something soon.

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:49 pm

garbeaj wrote:
The song Dreamer from his appearance on Jay Leno, 2008 I think.

https://soundcloud.com/fl6-1/p-clip

It's the 3rd note at the 2 second mark, the 4th and last note is with the whammy bar so it's right before that.
The first 2 are with the wah, which he turns off then hits another pedal.
Whatever it is, it stays on because in the video he walks away from his board and finishes the solo.
If you slow it down you can hear a low B so I'm thinking an Octave pedal is part of it.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri May 08, 2015 1:50 pm

If i'm right, listenig to it, it makes'me think of the star splanged banner dissonance strings during dive bombing etc ...
Am i correct ?
It requires the right arrangement of notes , and a good drive.