Simple set up.

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

stalkertwo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Simple set up.

Post by stalkertwo » Mon May 04, 2015 2:21 am

Hello. I´ve got super champ x2. And i using voice 9. And question, what Hendrix used settings? if more treble or bass you now. I like sound from Woodstock and Isle of wight. I have fuzz on almost max really almot, volume on half. And basic settings amp? Currently I use gain 7, treble 5-6 and bass 4-5. What is the best? Thank you for answers.

theactor19
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Simple set up.

Post by theactor19 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Its going to be hard to get his tone with your setup, however there is a guy on youtube with a vibrochamp that makes his own hendrix-style pedals that got a really good hendrixy tone. I would say for your amp, use your ears and eq til you get close. One trick, and this may be more for vintage amps but it could help, is to crank the treble on your amp all the way up and use your guitar tone knob to tame it a bit. It'll get rid of a lot of the mud from the fuzz.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Thu May 21, 2015 2:32 am

So i set treble high, about 7? Thank you.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu May 21, 2015 4:51 pm

follow your ears while trying various settings. telling you : 7 , 4 , 10 .... it won't mean much.

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Fri May 22, 2015 5:32 am

Ok and bass?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat May 23, 2015 7:16 am

.... your ears ! :)

peter25

Post by peter25 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:43 am

Yeah there isn't a golden setup or something. I've seen marshalls with the mids scooped getting a Hendrix sound.... no rules. Just listen to what seems right to you. Only advise I can give you is set the amp so that you have clean sounds whith you guitar volume turned down to around 6 and overdriven sounds with volume at 10. Start from there. After gain I set mid, treble and end with bass to thicken things up. Most important in getting the sound right is in how you play and how hard your attack is.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 pm

stalkertwo wrote:Hello. I´ve got super champ x2. And i using voice 9. And question, what Hendrix used settings? if more treble or bass you now. I like sound from Woodstock and Isle of wight. I have fuzz on almost max really almot, volume on half. And basic settings amp? Currently I use gain 7, treble 5-6 and bass 4-5. What is the best? Thank you for answers.
Do this:
Amp on 10 - EVERYTHING.
Fuzz 10 - Gain as volume level control. (0-6 max)
This will define the "max" Tone of the your gear combined for that particular low watt amp.
Guitar volume control & rolling off the desired EQ..... a Slight Return :jimi: You cannot "loose" the noise like this, but you will gain max desirable tones.
Players have dimed a Fender Champ placed in an isolation booth of some type or another. IIRC one of Buddy Guy's albums is recorded in this manner. Shoulda' been Marshall's :twisted:

Tek465b

Post by Tek465b » Sat May 23, 2015 4:42 pm

I think the volume settings affect the tonal charistic ALOT more that the bass/mid/treble EQ.
"The sweet spot" is in the various volume(amp volume, fuzz volume, guitar volume...) settings.
0.1uf on cathode of preamp are a bad thing(v1 and v2). i get the same effect if i eq down about -2 to -4 db at 250hz to 2khz while playing woodstock dvd. and it sound BAD..
To me bass/mid/treble do just that.. change the bass middle and treble they are pretty transparent to me(tonewise).
Volume setting and your attack is really what make the difference.
I don't like a marshall cranked to 10. make it sound nasal or something like that to me.
I just crank the fuzz volume until it do very well with the vibe then i know am set 8)
Q1 transistor in a fuzzface make all the difference with a strat too..
To me these are the only things that really do make a huge difference(in a positive way).

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat May 23, 2015 8:04 pm

yeah, i'm more like tek , i set my marshall to about 7 - 8 maximum volume. a lot of presence.
and before that, the fuzz volume often at maximum, and maybe just a bit of fuzz , from zero to 2.
i like it that way , with the univibe preamp at max between the fuzz and amp.
then playing a bit with the strat volume from about 8 to 10.

Dave weyer described jimi's settings like this, and this is what makes the most sense to me when playing it.
you can go from some clean tones to some very nice Crunch just how you play the strings. very expressive.

this is a simple setup that peoples rarely do i think, just diming their amps, most of the time and they don't get the Hendrix sound this way imo.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun May 24, 2015 4:03 am

I didn't see Marshall anything (or guitar). This thread is about a simple Fender Champ and a fuzz...
Check with Jimi's guy... Buddy Guy... He's still alive and well in Chicago...
Last edited by JimiJames on Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Sun May 24, 2015 4:04 am

I set up, treble 8, bass 6, gain 8. Fuzz almost max. Volume half maybe almost half. I used on champ 4. Thank you.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sun May 24, 2015 4:11 am

stalkertwo wrote:I set up, treble 8, bass 6, gain 8. Fuzz almost max. Volume half maybe almost half. I used on champ 4. Thank you.
You're using the other channel? I don't think the Fuzz will be as effective compressed through that channel...
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

stalkertwo

Post by stalkertwo » Sun May 24, 2015 4:21 am

I something record and post you ok. I using voice 4. But when i give gain on 6 or 5, it is clean but i want few crank sound. I mean without fuzz.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Here's the guy that gets a pretty good hendrix tone out of a vibro champ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdL3PvRypyo
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.