Netflix: 'Jimi: All Is By My Side' (2013)

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Netflix: 'Jimi: All Is By My Side' (2013)

Post by chrisom » Sat May 09, 2015 12:34 pm

Just watched this 'dramatized' biopic of Jimi's lead-up to fame on Netflix, and however far from reality it might be, it was a good watch for guitarists. Waddy Wachtel did a great job of playing Hendrix-y versions of standards Jimi played before his first LP came out (in order to avoid copyright violations, as the Hendrix Estate refused involvement). I'm not saying it was accurate, just enjoyable if you take it with a grain of salt. Imogene Poots is HOT as Linda Keith, and 'Agent Carter' Haley Atwell does a good job as well... :D Not bad seeing those reissue Marshall stacks either... :listen: :jimi:
Last edited by chrisom on Sun May 10, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Netflix: 'Jimi: All Is By My Side' (2013)

Post by daveweyer » Sat May 09, 2015 3:45 pm

It was Waddy Wachtel who accidentally started the "little amp into the big amp" thing I did for so many guitarists of the day. He had a little band I did a lot of work for; one day he was over to the Hollywood House with his little Fender Deluxe singing and playing a couple of the "pop hits" he had worked up with his Cowsills sponsored band, Bim Bimini Oh, and a song about being busted in SanBernadino called "Berdu Stay". He cranked up his little Fender and I plugged the output of it directly into some Marshall stacks which were power boosters only. That Fender Deluxe sound amplified up to 200 watts was just so killer I never forgot it.
It got me into the idea of using a small amp which you could carry anywhere, even into the hotel room, and just plug it into as many power boosters as you needed on stage, always being able to count on the sound you would get. And the big speakers shaking that small 12" speaker cone in the Deluxe, just gave this simply marvelous feedback and flexible response.
Anyway, it started a whole trend, which Neil Young still uses today.

Hope I didn't wreck the point of this thread.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sat May 09, 2015 5:12 pm

That is really interesting actually; How did he plug the Deluxe into the Marshall inputs though? An attenuation device or..? I wouldn't mind trying something like that but am curious about how to deal with the output power of the first amp...

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Sat May 09, 2015 5:43 pm

We just used the master volume which was on the inputs of the Marshall boosters. The power amp section can take a few volts of output, and that's about what you get from a Deluxe cranked up. So yes, an attenuator of some kind between the amps and you can plug anything into anything, the point being to get another speaker in the middle, between the guitar and the main power amps.
I just thought it was curious that you mentioned Waddy since I was just blabbing about re-amping on the other thread, he wrote some very beautiful tunes and had a real compelling guitar style. I've never forgotten his old music, and can still play the tunes today.
I'm sure he would honor Jimi in the best fashion.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun May 10, 2015 1:01 am

I used to hear Waddy's guitar on some Linda Rondstadt stuff back in the day. Great guitarist.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu May 14, 2015 2:08 pm

did a search for it on netflix and nothing came up :(

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu May 14, 2015 2:19 pm

That's weird, I saw it was still listed on Netflix last night when I browsed for other movies. Try doing a search for 'jimi'. I'm sure it's still there... :jimi:

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:06 pm

As a big Hendrix fan I was super disappointed with the movie. Though I did have a downloaded version for a while back, so maybe it was a different edit. It just didn't seem well put-together, and I wasn't a fan of Andre's acting. It is a hard role to play in all fairness.

I hope that the new hendrix biopic that the Hendrix estate approved to use the music in will be better.
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:08 pm

ps. the new biopic is the director of Captain Phillips and The Bourne Supremacy. Expecting good things!
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu May 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Just searched again and its not on Netflix. Only Hendrix is a movie called Hear my train

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Fri May 15, 2015 11:24 am

It's still on there. I'm watching it right now. It's called, All Is By My Side

without the 'Jimi' at the front that I previously mentioned...

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:31 pm

It might depend what country you are in. I know USA vs. Canada Netflix has different content.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Fri May 15, 2015 3:08 pm

found it under All is by my side, It would not come up under anything Jimi or Hendrix. Watched it last night and thought it was entertaing but did not like that it made Hendrix look like he beat his girlfriend Kathy Echimen, Didn't get along with his father or his manger Chas Chandler. I have studied all things Hendrix since his death and never hear any of this, In fact he lived with Chas while and they were very close and his father and him got along great. The actor did a good job but the playing was clearly faked. I clearly see why Hendrixs estate did not approve of it. The Super JH100 stacks were nice but his Strat was not even a fender :(

Thanks for posting :)

There is another Hendrix movie on Netflix called "Hear my Train" that looks good

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:06 am

I would state the opposite, the movie failed because the Hendirx estate (aka Janie) didn't allow use of copyrighted content, or approval in general.

My guess is they didn't offer enough cash. This was a lower budget feature. Badly edited, badly directed, its few features that made it watchable were not nearly enough to string together a cohesive film. I think Andre 3000 did a great job getting into the role, but with such a poor production around him it didn't matter.

Given how disjointed the film feels at times, I would venture to guess that it was filmed and written initially with the intent of being able to use his music. Sadly, that plan didn't come together. Would have been nice to see the true vision for this one, but the new movie will have the backing of Janie Co, a bigger budget, and a fantastic director, as previously stated.

Don't imagine that it will line up with reality any more than this one did, though.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am

Still I enjoyed it better than anything on TV related to 'Kaitlyn' Jender, 'Keeping Away From the Kardashians, or Dancin' w/ the Has-Beens. Enjoyed seeing the Marshall Stacks, hearing Waddy's guitar, and watching Imogene Poots and Haley Atwell... :D

p.s. How long 'til we see David Lee Roth on 'Dancin' w/ the Stars'? :lol: :palm: