Band of Gypsys

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Band of Gypsys

Post by daveweyer » Sun May 31, 2015 10:18 pm

This may not be relevant to this discussion, but just because two triode stages draw their cathode current through a single resistor, does not change how fast the resistor will discharge the capacitor which bypasses that resistor. You will have twice as much DC voltage across the resistor if the plate resistors are the same value, but you will still have a network of an 820 ohm resistor and a 330uf capacitor, and have to figure your network response with those values.
The gain of the two stages should be the same either way, individual or shared, at least in the audio pass band.
If you remove the capacitor, the gain of the tubes will drop to half. The opposing current in the opposite cathode acts to reduce the AC voltage across the cathode resistor, causing the gain to be high without a capacitor--a differential amplifier is one application.
If no AC voltage can be developed across the cathode resistor, there will be no inverse feedback, and the gain of the tube will be at its maximum--that's what the capacitor is for.
In a shared cathode configuration, the bias voltage is different if the grids are AC ground, and the tube operates on a different part of the transconductance curve.
That said, the sound of the circuits, or the way they respond to musical signals, will be different enough that musicians can hear it.

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:56 am

Tek465b wrote:Well on the superlead(68-69..).. it's just a bit more gain on V1 normal channel for split cathode.. just reduce the volume on the fuzz or whatever is your last pedal in the chain.
Maby hendrix had 22n swapped instead of the 2n2 for the bright channel plate. or some other non-standard value, who know :P
That will be just like a 67SL preamp.
i would suggest that since he only has a 100-120watts cab , he may be at relatively low volume on his plexi so as to not fry up his speakers anyway , pretty logic ... i think hendrix was low volume on his plexis too and then re-amped through sunn cabs .

Tek465b

Post by Tek465b » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:10 pm

I like my amp volume around 5-6 with shared cathode.
I increase the fuzz volume until it sound wonderfull with the vibe enabled then am all set.
Any setting over 7 on the amp volume sound bad to me.
BOG & WoodStock.

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Same for me, same volume range, unless i'm going for some ACDC stuffs ... and same use of the fuzz.
i just increased the presence setting quite a lot compared to before, when i used it at zero.

Tek465b

Post by Tek465b » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm

presence at 9 for me.

shakti

Post by shakti » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

Been listening some more, and that BOG tone is really nice, although I do suspect a lot of what we are hearing is due to the mix/EQ/reverb etc. I read through some of the comments section, and found out that the amp is indeed a 69 100W, which apparently had a Bass over Lead sticker. I'm not entirely sure, but IIRC those were used on a batch of amps for export to Canada(?) US(?), and are all Super Bass model amps. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It also says he had Mullard EL34s in there.
The guitar is apparently a stock 75 Strat...sounds mighty nice I have to say!
Lastly, he was apparently fairly low on the volume, but used a 10 band EQ in front of the amp to shape the sound a little more since he couldn't turn it further up.

In any case, his playing is really, really good and very close in spirit to Jimi, and the sounds are excellent. Well done!
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm surprised of how good his fuzz work, with this amp. They don't betray the bog sound.
This said, this song is easier to make it sound bog than who knows and machine gun : that's the real test.
And also, i think more and more that the settings on the amp and fuzz are what you want to look at ( also the speakers ) to achieve such tones, wether it's a superlead, superbasse, or 45/100.

theactor19

Post by theactor19 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:43 pm

I've seen this guy's videos and I personally think both his playing and tone are better than Randy Hansens'
http://www.GuitarToneTalk.com - Tone Tips, Pedal Reviews, Amp Reviews, Guitar Reviews. Helping you get amazing tone.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Tone seaker wrote:check this guy out. What Marshall amp and speakers do you think he is using. Looks like his guitar does not go into the high treble input like Hendrix does live. Interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO3vIidWmGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO3vIidWmGU
Supposedly, this guys 'recipe' for coping Jimi's tone is slightly different than you would expect based on some of the comments I read under the video. '75 Strat to a Vox wah, to a Electro Harmonix Big Muff, to a another fuzz (possibly a Roger Mayer Fuzz), then to a Ibanez digital modulated delay pedal, then a Boss reverb pedal, then a 10 band EQ, and finally to a '69 Marshall Super Lead plexi (supposedly a Super Bass set very clean sounding). The cabinet is a '69 Marshall with original bass cone celestions (probably G12H 30w).
Supposedly, the Big Muff is "set mildly" and used for the beginning lead guitar part. Also mentioned was the use of a Tycobrahe Octavia during one solo in the middle....I'm not sure if the Octavia reference is for this video or perhaps a different one...

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Tazin wrote:
Tone seaker wrote:check this guy out. What Marshall amp and speakers do you think he is using. Looks like his guitar does not go into the high treble input like Hendrix does live. Interesting

Supposedly, this guys 'recipe' for coping Jimi's tone is slightly different than you would expect based on some of the comments I read under the video. '75 Strat to a Vox wah, to a Electro Harmonix Big Muff, to a another fuzz (possibly a Roger Mayer Fuzz), then to a Ibanez digital modulated delay pedal, then a Boss reverb pedal, then a 10 band EQ, and finally to a '69 Marshall Super Lead plexi (supposedly a Super Bass set very clean sounding). The cabinet is a '69 Marshall with original bass cone celestions (probably G12H 30w).
Supposedly, the Big Muff is "set mildly" and used for the beginning lead guitar part. Also mentioned was the use of a Tycobrahe Octavia during one solo in the middle....I'm not sure if the Octavia reference is for this video or perhaps a different one...
He rairly changes settings on any thing between songs. Check this whole show video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHNRZt0iuo

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Got this reply from Steve Webb about his gear

SteveWebbEXP2's profile photo

SteveWebbEXP2Jun 24, 2015

Thanks for the fantastic comment. In this case, the amp is very clean, almost too clean. All tone controls were at 10, but there is a 10 band EQ near the end of the pedal chain, that is adjusted with a scoop out of the mids. It was a 100 watt head, naturally a very loud head, but the volume is probably at about 4 ½, and the EL34 tubes were real Mullards and near new , which gave it a great, natural sounding, overall tone. Pre-amp tubes were very clean. No preamp volume knob. Which Fuzz/Distortion unit? I'm not sure anymore, but it was the same one through-out, always on, and whether clean or distorted, the amount of distortion was controlled from the guitar volume control. There was another, used in addition, during 'I Don't Live Today', to help with the feedback, since the amp was a fair distance from me. That was probably a Roger Mayer (one of the Rocket models, I had a few) You can see all the pedals I owned at that time at the very beginning of 'Little Miss Lover' at MajesticSuperiorHen channel

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:34 am

wow, cool ! that's indeeed in the ball park ! low volume amp, one always on fuzz , and a asecond fuzz for some higher gain i guess , that's what we described in the WC fuzz. thanks for the post and thanks to steve :)

Its Luke

Post by Its Luke » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing!

This guy nails the Hendrix vibe and spirit to me, love it. :jimi:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:23 pm

now that i hear it again, the playing and the band he's got play a big role into fooling our ears, but listening closer to his EL34 setup : i'd love to hear him do the same with a 6550 west coast modded SL , cause there you'd hear a cool difference.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:21 am

Thats so close it makes me really think BOG is EL -34's