Hendrix and the foxey lady /muff

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

frenchie

Hendrix and the foxey lady /muff

Post by frenchie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 pm

Kay' seems this subject which also might be slightly controversed ( we'll see ) has never been approached by any angle in the forum , read this article first ;

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Jimi_Hendrix_Big_Muff.html

So now ..... if hendrix really used a muff in electric lady studios , to you on which track of electric ladyland it could have been used ? i mean ....realistically speaking okay :wink: !

( yeah i dig adding confusion to an already quite opaque hendrix fuzz usage historical mess :lol: .... well it's fuzz right , it's meant to sound like a mess anyway :wink: :D )

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Hendrix and the foxey lady /muff

Post by Xplorer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 pm

maybe on "little miss strange" , "come on" , some parts of "moon turns tide" , "house burning down" , maybe .... with parcimony.
but it could very well simply be fuzz, more likely .

i doubt it was used on electric lady. but maybe on some live versions of are you experienced, very wild, from 1968.

good article.

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Tone seaker » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 pm

dont belive it. The guy has everything to gain saying Hendrix used his pedal. Its not some outside source its the inventor of the Big Muff. And Hendrix called him EVERY TIME HE WENT INTO THE STUDIO TO HANG OUT :palm:

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:25 am

I think the editor wrote a nice objective article. In addition, I think it would be naive if anyone thought that Hendrix never tried out different pedals and gagets throught his short career. As to their longevity of use, or whether they made there way onto any recordings, who knows.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:10 am

1/2 the *article was pretty good. I do believe he used one somewhere as he did try a Jordan BossTone at some time as well. There is no proof anywhere on where he did use one, just around & about that he possibly did...(Eddie know?) There is a certain character (he probably liked) to this pedal, you can probably guess where he might of sneaked in...

A good friend of mine originally from *N.Y. in the early '70's had an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff - silverface. I liked how the fuzz sounded having more of a modern tone in that era. A cross between a distortion and fuzz. "muff". A few years later; picking up my first pedal (still have the pedal & receipt) IIRC a first run blackface. We A/B'd years later and thought they were nearly identical. The newer ones sound different in that they no longer have that unique original fuzz shape. I know the pots used made a tonal difference affecting the fuzz signal.

My good bud in a band that I'm (hack) drumming in just picked up the new Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra. This is more of a muff fuzz than anything new E.H. is putting out. Although, it is less than double the cost of the E.H.. Great alternative to the Electro-Harmonix stuff IMO.... and quiet ! Remembering when I picked up an ADA Flanger w/ControlPedal when it came out. together with that, got some craZy kool even/odd harmonic tones with a Big Muff π. Sounded like a stick of dynamite exploding in an oil drum filled with glass bottles... filled with gasoline, man !I have no knowledge of the later Deluxe or Little Big Muff π ?

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Like so many Jimi stories, you just can't know for sure. It's probably good to remember that Matthews is a promoter, as he mentions in his quote, and he has done well with it too. He knows what sells.
My money is on Jimi trying every device he could get his hands on; if you showed him a pedal he wanted to try it, and if he heard something which tweaked his imagination, he would find a song to use it on--and it might have only worked on one song.
The author of the article did what he could with limited resources, add it to the list of Jimi possibilities.