The FM Tube Modulator Jimi Loved

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: The FM Tube Modulator Jimi Loved

Post by Xplorer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:40 pm

Xplorer, the organ pipes were just recorded onto a CD, and we used that CD to drive the amp which in turn drove the electromagnet.
thanks. sorry to be a bit slow to understand but when you drive the amp ( a marshall ? ) with the cd , do you mean that instead of the speaker you're using an electromagnet ? what kind ? that's surprising, i didn't imagine it could be done but it is, logicaly.
so you don't actualy hear the sound of the organ pipe since it's converted into a magnetic frequency, but then when applied to the strings of the guitar you get it back ? wow i love this idea.

did you try the "absolute feedback" like driving the electromagnet with the result of the whole setup ? i'm sure you did.

using some particular synthesizers through the amp, to drive the electromagnet would be fantastic i suppose.

using some voices could almost make the guitar to talk ;)

i'll maybe try to make a feedback setup too someday ! thanks for introducing it ! it's too cool not to try.
and it can indeed be a whole new world for the old electric guitar. i'd love to experiment some variation that could be used by the guitar player itself, combined with his playing, and some dry/wet.

daveweyer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by daveweyer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:17 pm

The CD was played through an ADCOM 500 watt per channel solid state amp. The amp output was connected to a transformer which provided about 100 volts of AC signal to drive the electromagnet.
You could drive the amp with any signal, including the output of the guitar pickups, which we also did. Voices are also amazing. The guitar strings mainly play themselves as you can hear, but other harmonics come through too. It's nothing if not a lot of fun. Just another form of modulation which Jimi got to hear one time.

Eb7+9

Post by Eb7+9 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:21 pm

just a quick head's up here folks ...

like I said above, working on the CTP re-design I noticed that I could draw up a variant and emulate the vintage "brownface" vibrato effect // to my knowledge it's something that hasn't been done in the FX world, properly anyway ... I included passive offset adjusters in the first version and wasn't happy with the performance ... re-drew the layout to include active ones on Thursday, got PCB's on Saturday and last night the darn thing came to life on my desk // prelim tests show great potential ... in fact, I'm actually a little surprised at how effective it is // excuse the pun ...

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/6G-AvibePrototype.jpg

the reason for doing this is to confirm (similar) operation in the way that OTA outputs will be added together, etc etc ... so, not only am I getting a fantastic "vibe" effect from this 6G-A vibrato emulator/exaggerator but it gives me a green light to continue in the direction I'm going with the CTP

more as it surfaces ...
~jcm
modern VT circuit analysis and modeling: https://viva-analog.com/product/ifmta-book-pdf/

C J H

Post by C J H » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Very nice!

When you say 'got the PCB..' do you have a good source for custom etchings?
"blah blah, wof wof!"

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:38 pm

:popcorn: :thumbsup: :rockon:

Eb7+9

Post by Eb7+9 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 pm

C J H wrote:Very nice!

When you say 'got the PCB..' do you have a good source for custom etchings?
I get my boards CNC routed/drilled by a local tech ...
minimum order is around $30 (+/-) ... quality is excellent
his cutting bits can do 0.1mm wide traces (tho I'm sticking to 0.5mm for now ...)

FYI, I do the layout work in expressPCB
pdf "print" output is fed to the PERL based "pdf2gerb" routines to derive a complete set of Gerber files
the process is efficient and uses nothing but freeware (expressPCB, pdf2gerb, and viewPlot - to view Gerber files)
I mail him the files, and he pops the boards in the mail within 48hrs ... done!

I have turned him onto other DIY'ers // ...
(pm-me if interested)
modern VT circuit analysis and modeling: https://viva-analog.com/product/ifmta-book-pdf/

Tek465b

Post by Tek465b » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:01 pm

i used expressPCB before, but i moved to eagle pcb.
I find it ALOT better.

badfinger

Post by badfinger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:15 pm

Very interesting, any sound clips of this thing?

;-)
Last edited by badfinger on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:46 pm

There will certainly be completed schematics along the way, ones that you can build--I think that's really the point of the discussion. These are developing as we go along. As the so called high-tech minds need to communicate in their own language, there will be a lot of chatter about things which make absolutely no sense to most readers. Eventually, these subjects will be presented in layman's terms--once the details are worked out and things get tested and solidified.
I hope I speak for everyone on the forum about this, the modulator thread is not supposed to be about how smart certain people are, but about history and development of ways to make electric sound generators sound different, more pleasing, and more spacial.
Everyone should get to participate, otherwise there isn't much point to it. I'll be sure to keep this in mind as we go along.

badfinger

Post by badfinger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:49 am

Oops, sorry edited my post just as you replied.
Well thank you.
I do look forward to seeing some build able schematics, A nicely tuned Univibe sounds so good.

Tek465b

Post by Tek465b » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 am

Well, i understand the high tech language. but you both are spending quite alot of time on it. i can't really match against that lol. to much reading material and too little reading time for me(life got me busy as usual).

I still quick-read and try to post anything that could be usefull(and get a basic idea how the circuit work)..
But it look like you both know your stuff very well. So i don't want to participate too much, don't want to waste your time and get things delayed. instead to post half-assed answer i stay quiet and read what i can :P.

Eb7+9

Post by Eb7+9 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Tek465b wrote:i used expressPCB before, but i moved to eagle pcb.
I find it ALOT better.
of course, Eagle is way more sophisticated ... I'm (still) using expressPCB simply because I have a guy nearby who'll make me high quality single sided boards real fast // but the drawback is clear, the occasional to plentiful "jumpers" ... everything has its trade-offs // in expressPCB I can get small circuit layouts drawn and tapped out very quickly

to explain, all I'm doing presently is laying my cards on the table for those who can stomach it ... doing some early groundwork, with the aim of getting some kind of working prototype that embodies Wayne's principles (as does the Baldwin unit) ... but, this is design work and we have to do this in successive stages - which some will invariably find boring (LOL) ... I figure that maybe in the future it will be of value to someone who comes across the info and triggers a different solution to the challenge // that's just the pedagogue in me

I'm really hoping for someone like you Tek465b to eventually get my layouts massaged into more compact two-layer boards using something like Eagle ... please, BE MY GUEST !! ... I'm seeing this as a collaborative effort // even tho much of it so far has involved myself and Dave ... the door is wide open to anyone who wants to jump in if/when they see fit

again, the goal is to release open designs which practically anybody can build
(though it will certainly be a challenge)

---

so, ... back to the project

I worked on the layout of a complete 3-phase oscillator circuit (schematic shown above) and this I came up with:

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/CTPoscLYTgray-JCM2015.jpg

notice, what allowed this layout to take shape was the "stretched Collector" footprint for the NPN devices in the gm-R stages

also notice the location of the current outputs A, B, and C ...
these would be fed to LED's on the way to the bias input of OTA's
so, yeah ... there's going to be a light show that comes with this

the only thing missing are the driver side of the current mirrors used for biasing the differential pairs ...
the current sources at the top feed 1mA currents to the shifter and v/i converters
the current sources at the bottom will produce a variable current setting the oscillator RATE

Tek, if you feel like giving this a go in Eagle that would b great ...
at your leisure or course (there's no rush)

anybody for that matter

also, I would appreciate it if someone could double check the layout I'm posting here and
let me know if any mistakes jump out ... (I've left labels out for sake of clarity)

---

FYI,

the way it works is you get a new idea working on the breadboard first, at the very least, and then you publish a schematic // otherwise you end up misleading a bunch of folks, etc ...

so, that will surely happen at some point ... we're getting close to a schematic indeed

here's my game plan for now ... I'm going to build a single-oscillator version of the idea at first, this way I can verify the operation of all essential blocks in the circuit (preamp, lattice, oscillator, and modulator) including the RATE-control function ... I'll get a single-sided PCB made so I can get a working example off the ground ASAP ... the circuit is way too complicated to breadboard (at least to me) ... once that version gets going I'll draw out the full 5-oscillator version and build it again on single-sided PCB, maybe with some changes caused by discoveries made in the first version ... everything in stages ... at that point a schematic will get drawn up, building instructions and tips provided, etc etc ...

~jcm

Eb7+9

Post by Eb7+9 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:12 am

here's a bird's eye view of the current-control system on the five 3-phase oscillators...

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/CTPcurrentDriveJCM2015.jpg

first, to be clear, all currents in this circuit are DC currents
also, the rails are +/- 9 volts

recap/description (... working backwards from the oscillators) :

each of the five 3-phase oscillators is driven by three near-identical currents ...
these currents are sourced by NPN devices seen at the bottom

these currents are scaled copies of the one flowing into the reference NPN branch containing the 200 ohm trimmer
(immediately to the left of the groups of thee NPN sources)
this current is provided by the PNP devices seen above, one reference drive current for each oscillator ...

(more on mirrors here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_mirror)

the PNP currents are near-identical copies of the current flowing in the far left branch
which is set by the resistance present in that circuit

the reference current is chosen to be 150uA as per the SPICE simulations I did
these are meant to produce a 1Hz oscillation when a 100uF cap is chosen
the 91k fixed resistor (actually it should be 100k) and 25k pot is meant to allow SPEED variation around a mean value (110k ohm) corresponding to a base RATE of 1Hz ...

what the 200 ohm trimmers do is allow a fine tuning of the current ratio, and therefore the operating frequency for each oscillator

this is necessary because the 100/47/22/10/4.7 values do not drop exactly in factors of two
and hence the oscillators will not multiply in exact factors of two by using these cap values and maintaining an identical current reflection

fortunately all the mirrors will scale proportionately afterwards

and so, once the 200 ohm trimmers have been adjusted appropriately the doubling relationship between oscillators will hold while scaling the master reference current

note1: the 100 ohm resistors are included throughout so that matched transistors will not be required // a std. practice with current-mirrors ...

note2: I may forgo the extra Base-sourcing transistors that make the mirrors more "accurate" ... considering the potential and need for current adjustment anyway, these are redundant ... even easier to lay out then

~jcm

Tek465b

Post by Tek465b » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 pm

I can do 2 sided pcb files. i can not do 2 layer(multilayer).
I need the eagle schematic .sch file. then i chould get it done pretty quickly.
If i make the schematic file myself its more work, need transistor package info(for pinouts) and capacitor lead spacing/size and so on.
I use the free version so am limited on the maximum pcb size i can make.

Here is a great video tutorial for the Current source and Current mirror.(in addition to the wiki article above)
We can see the String of current sources as used on your schematic above by the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0RfmmRhDw

Eb7+9

Post by Eb7+9 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 am

thx Tek,

(ed.) ... just watched the youtube video //
explains perfectly what I'm doing here

that guy has a great approach to teaching basic electronics

yeah, ... 2-sided boards is all we need for this ... keeping it simple ;)
we can get creative with the limitations // stacking cards if need be

when the time comes I will upload the .sch files

---

on the side ...

I spent a good part of the day on the bench ironing out issues in my newly designed
2x-OTA based Fender 6G-series Vibrato emulator/Xtender
to recall, it's operation is similar to what I've chosen as my first approach to producing a CTP emulator

turns out some high-frequencies were cycling around in there ... oops!
current-mode circuit operation tends to do that
so, I shunted down some bandwidth using a few caps and, voila ...

(*!*)

it works as good as can be expected ...

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/6GvibratoVOX.jpg

this is definitely an FX loop circuit as OTA's tend to be a little noisy by nature...
glad to say its performance is more than passable, and am pleased with the outcome
but it has to be used correctly ... ie., not in front of an amp (preamp) like most of us use Phasors

as for function,
I have a switch on there that inverts the phase of the H.P. branch
so I can get L.P. and H.P. signal components variably summed either in-phase, or out-of-phase ...
(inducing no phasing effect, ... or some, respectively)

the original Fender circuit summed out-of-phase and therefore produced pitch shifting Vibrato/Phasing
it is not simply a matter of alternating L.P. and H.P. signals as some say

I'm not surprised by the amount of phasing/pitch-shifting obtainable from this OTA-based mixing circuit
FYI, at full swing the OTA bias currents travel between nil and about 1.2m (each) ...
(max is 2mA for LM13600 OTA's)

there's also a middle "off" position on the phase switch that acts to prevent any H.P. signal from making it thru
what i get then is an interesting sub 300Hz pulsing signal // Floydish sounds

very cool so far ...

in case anybody's wondering the two empty holes will be occupied
by 12-pos rotary switches for altering H.P.and L.P. corner frequencies

these will be made variable later // haven't decided on frequency ranges yet
at the moment both paths are set to a -3db cutoff of 300 Hz, as it is in the original Fender Vibrato circuit

the oscillator is based off a Univibe and the soft-switch slowly kills and releases the oscillator,
same as in the original Vibes ... except, i'm using a CMOS latching circuit and opto-isolator to do the kill
also, I have a jack on the side for a remote floor switch if I want to use one

anyway, I needed to get the basic operation established and secondary bugs taken out
that's done now ...

putting the Vibrato box aside for now ...
I'll get back to the two variable cap switches when I'm more in the mood for it

---

FYI,

to understand how one can get passable Signal-To-Noise specs using noisy processing circuits
I present this as an example (see accompanying photo)

my gtr is going to an Alesis MicroVerb set very hot both in and out, it's acting as a preamp with no tone controls
then to my Vibrato circuit with the output set low (hot going in, just hot enough going out)
and to a recently gifted Vox Valvetronix, by using the Effects Return jack
(essentially bypassing all of the preamp and DSP)
the Master on the amp on 10 ...

so, the volume control on the Vibrato pedal is essentially setting the volume level of the whole setup
and at the same time, the overall noise level since its output dominates in terms of noise (a drawback of using OTA's)

the Microverb is very clean, the output stage of the VOX SS-amp is so-so clean ...
the vibrato circuit is noisy if we compare to modern chorus/phasors and the like
that's just the nature of modulated H.P. circuit and the OTA's used to modulate the signals

so, the best option is to run the other two (Alesis and VOX slave) as hot as possible
the result is excellent if we compare against what happens if we reverse order the Vibrato circuit and Alesis preamp

to be clear, a big component of what makes this circuit noisy is the modulated H.P. circuit ...
we should note that the same occurs in the original Fender 6G-series tube amps ...(!!)

this is the main reason why we see the circuit sandwiched between the preamp and the PI circuit
in those 6G and 6G-A series Fender amps... ie., that is, to maximize the Signal-to-Noise ratio ...
which translates in less overall noise increase when the effect is running

that is, the signal (level) that normally drives the PI circuit is sent to the Vibrato stage
they could have done it the other way, but there's a good reason why they didn't

same as in my Alesis >> 6G-Vibrato emulator/Xtender >> VOX Slave setup

what makes this all work is the fact that both vibrato circuits (the original tube one and this one)
have high-headroom capabilities ... I designed my circuit to handle +/- 5 volts of signal swing with low distortion
(and not using the linearizing diodes either)

I think this is appropriate for most tube driven PI circuits ... actually a 12at7 based PI circuit may need a little more

so, this thing should work in tube amps that have FX loops // sometimes a useful option even tho most of us typically like the Phasor up front ... ie., for those times when the overall signal isn't so dirty

all this, just to say it's possible the CTP will be used in a similar manner

:P

---

anyhoo ... enough technical babble

some of the features found in this Vibrato design might make their way into the CTP
for now I've got a physical device that represents some of the planned circuitry in action (ie., bias modulated OTA's)
giving me some useful ideas (ex-bugs) to consider in the process

more shortly
~jcm