Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Stratocaster

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix Woodstock Stratocaster

Post by garbeaj » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Tone seaker wrote:
garbeaj wrote:What I find amazing about the Woodstock strat at EMP is that it hasn't yellowed very much at all! My own 1968 Olympic White maple neck strat was probably exposed to more cigarette smoke and it yellowed quite a bit more. The Woodstock strat looks almost brand new! I've seen other 68-70 strats in Olympic White and they are all yellow...more like Yngwie's 70s strat.
That strat sat in a case for decades
That must be it. Mine was almost orange from cigarettes.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:53 pm

yngwie308 wrote:I read the story from Mike Eldred now gone from Fender. He said that when the original 1968 white Stratocaster was taken apart he could see the dried sweat in the neck pocket and thought Hendrix DNA!
Here are some shots of the replica from a Fender trade show display:

yngwie308
The picture of Mike Eldred with the white gloves he is holding the real Woodstock Strat I believe and it looks slightly yellowed to me........ :jimi: :jimi:
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:20 pm

does the article or caption under the pic where you got that say its the original. The one i posted pics off is definitely the original. It is stated in the display

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:28 pm

the original displayed at the EMP is a bit yellow too, like the one mike eldred has. that's what i see from my pictures taken there.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:42 pm

can we see your pictures. Also if there were a notch wouldnt it be in the reproductions and mentioned. Here is a pic i took of the guitar in a book called Fender Stratocaster by AR Duchossoir. The phot is captioned courtesy of Mitch Mitchel

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 pm

here :

http://imgur.com/a/HhmJM

but tone seaker, i wouldn't focus so much on the notch you can't find. there may be another explanation. unless you had the guitar with you during 46 years, you'll never know if something happened, like a refrett or something, or a forgotten episode in the story, or some playing on the strat for years while mitch had it, getting the notch to disappear .. it doesn't mean that what dave's remembering isn't true.
we can't discuss this much more unless someday a Hendrix strat appears with these notchs, but even there, it'll be possible to Wonder if somebody added it later, so we just had to be there back then to come to a conclusion.
anyway, hard to tell from the pictures since they're bad resolution

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:09 pm

The picture i just posted is from Mitch Mitchell who publicly stated he never took it out of the case. So a refret is very unlikely. The guy who owns it in the museum got it from the person who got it from Mitch. Do you really think some one would refret Hendrix white strat devaluing it tremendously considering they are investors. You just cant except the fact that this whole notch thing is BS by Dave and will defend it to the end. if you would just spend some money and but the HD DVD of Woodstock and look at it in HD pausing it there are many places where there are super close ups in HD and there are no notches. Which proves that is not true and thus proving most of the stuff from Dave is BS and he will push it as far as he can. One place is at the end of the Star Spangled Banner,

look here at 2:56. Much better on DVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpdw0ouogQo

better look here and pause 5 sec in. No notches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVUgcSKEzGE

here is what you will see when you pause it. If you do it with the DVD in HD on a HD tv its way more clear and there are no notches

Last edited by Tone seaker on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:23 pm

saying these words , "BS" is a bit hard in my opinion. why the need to come to the insults ?

you don't know, we don't know, maybe the notchs weren't on the white strat, but on another strat, after all it's been almost half a century ago now.

but this notch story doesn't come from nowhere, maybe it's been twisted by time, i don't know, you don't know, but there could be some truth in there.
you can't expect to proove every theorys about jimi's gears, just from what's left of it ... 46 years later, or from the pictures we have. i guess we agree on it right ?
some facts and theorys can be accepted, but not many.

anyway, if you at least try the west coast mod, it'll proove a few things to your ears. this is different from hearing clips.
i mean "proove" as something fully acceptable, to your ears.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Read his post he claims they were on the white strat. Its not just the notches. Now that i have prove that as not true it brings into suspect every thing he post. I have been into Hendrix since the 60's heavily and never heard any of this stuff before. I bought and read every thing Hendrix for the last half century. No Dave is saying all this stuff about Hendrix liking this gadget and the next starting threads on it all with no one ever hearing of this stuff till he comes along now. Remember Hendrix spent the majority of his time on the east coast not the west. When he was not at a gig he flew back to NYC to record. Billy Cox will confirm that.
Last edited by Tone seaker on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:28 pm

just saw your pictures : i mostly see pixels ;) , this isn't high quality enough to judge.

someone please go to the emp and tell us ;)

i don't know why i'm discussing this notch thing, since i don't care much.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Xplorer wrote:just saw your pictures : i mostly see pixels ;) , this isn't high quality enough to judge.

someone please go to the emp and tell us ;)

i don't know why i'm discussing this notch thing, since i don't care much.
Did you look after i edited it adding the pic off woodstock and look at the link? I think that nothing will convince you except if you do like i keep saying. Get the DVD and watch it in HD on your TV you will see

If there were notches you would see them here. Deffingly on the DVD in HD

pic is copied from 5 sec in on this video. Its much better in HD on DVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVUgcSKEzGE

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:44 pm

i saw it, on my 2 meters wide screen with my hd videoprojector, i couldn't see it, but this notch thing is really easy to disapear in a film, especialy with sun reflection and glare effects on the fretts, and it's really tiny.

and with more playing on it, between 1969 and 1970 ... jimi perhaps made it disapear, a refrett ? ( this white strat is said to have a very light wear on the fretts ) , or a lot of playing which dug the fretts >> = the white strat we see today at the emp, without notch.

so that's a possibility too you know.

anyway, i don't know, i don't need to be convinced, i don't care much, and maybe Dave did it on another strat , and with the years he thought it was the white strat, i totaly don't know.

i don't find it unbelievable at all that jimi may have used this trick. do you ?

this said, you've made your point, i hear it. i just can't buy a final conclusion based on these elements.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:53 pm

It is just Dave is the first person to ever mention it in 45 years. Making it hard to believe. If it were notched it would fret out above it and as much as Hendrix cared about tone he would not have his guitar fretting out. Also if Hendrix liked it he would make sure it was always there not worn off. He plays Foxy Lady at Woodstock. The white strat was only a year old when he played Woodstock making it hard to believe it wore the notch off. Dave stated he put the notch in before woodstock. There is a article about the black strat where they disect it and there is no mention of a notch and it even says the fretts were not worn at all. You can believe all this about Dave but i dont and i think i have proven it. I can get the same sound with my marshall cranked with no notch

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 pm

"If it were notched it would fret out above it and as much as Hendrix cared about tone he would not have his guitar fretting out. Also if Hendrix liked it he would make sure it was always there not worn off."

this is just assumptions, from you. it's possible, i agree, but it's just assumptions, not proof of anything.

Tone seaker, i just don't know, either side. i'm forced to see that there's no trace of these notchs for now, and that's what you point out, but it doesn't mean "end of the story and proof made" to me. but to you, yes, i hear it.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:42 pm

Xplorer wrote:"If it were notched it would fret out above it and as much as Hendrix cared about tone he would not have his guitar fretting out. Also if Hendrix liked it he would make sure it was always there not worn off."

this is just assumptions, from you. it's possible, i agree, but it's just assumptions, not proof of anything.

Tone seaker, i just don't know, either side. i'm forced to see that there's no trace of these notchs for now, and that's what you point out, but it doesn't mean "end of the story and proof made" to me. but to you, yes, i hear it.

no assumptions it would fret out. The picture is proof, You are blinded by Dave sorry but open your eyes. I have studied every thing Hendrix for 45 years and It is well know Hendrix was super particular about his sound and no way would play a guitar that frets out. A notch even moderate wear on just one fret will make buzzing and a notch would certainly fret out. Hendrix would never record with buzzing on the strings above the notch. He was a super tone freak and super particular about his sound.