Plexi Power!

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Thu May 20, 2004 10:40 pm

Try a power soak! The Marshall Power Brake kicks ASS!!!
Even with the Brake, 82dB is ridiculous. Isn't normal conversation level 75-80dB??? (My games at work are to be set at 75dB max, sounds just under conversational level!!!) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Thu May 20, 2004 11:01 pm

Uh, maybe you need to read the directions on how to properly use your earplugs Flames. Or did you just forget to take them out after the gig and wore them to work? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Post by Guest » Fri May 21, 2004 5:45 am

I'm with Flames here. Normal conversation level is 75-80 dB so even with the PB I'd still be asked to turn it down. Besides, I owned a Hotplate not so long ago which sounded great. The reason why I sold it is because I'd always come back to the unattenuated plexi sound at some point during the gig. I came to the conclusion that I should break out the plexi only on big enough stages and let it blast. This was one such stage. The band that came on after us played ultraquiet on stage and they were able to stick to the 82 dB norm. Thru the PA they sounded like a CD was being played instead of a live band! You wanna feel the band as well as hear it, right? C'mon Jon, you're a R&R guy!

Mike

bluefuzzguitar

Post by bluefuzzguitar » Fri May 21, 2004 6:02 am

Sorry, Jon, forget to log in first. Don't start flaming just yet!

Mike
There's no tone like your own

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon May 24, 2004 3:30 pm

Man, 82bd's is just plain facism. They could have shut you down if 5 people clapped after a song.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon May 24, 2004 11:21 pm

And, while I'm thinking about it....

Why is it that a bar owner will see you play in a loud as hell rock club and yell over the set break music that he wants to hire you to play his bar.

"You guys would rock at my place" how many times have I heard this.

Only to show up at a restaurant, where they bitch about moving two tables so you can set up. You can't make a sound until everyone is done eating. And 15 minutes later they're up your ass because you haven't started yet.

Finally start the set, and by the first chorus the guy is jumping around in front, freaking out about turning it down. Dude, there's only vocals in the PA!

How many times has this happened? Far, far too many.
Why do bar owners hire loud rock bands and think they can instantly morph into lounge acts? If you wanted two guys playing acoustic guitars, why didn't you say so???

All right, I'm done ranting for now........I could go on and on.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Tue May 25, 2004 11:57 pm

I've also had to deal with nagging bitch people's in the circuit, but it was sound men. I had my HotPlate at -16 dB and the soundman was bitching it was too loud. What a cock! 2 minutes after the first song was going, i put it at -8 dB and sonically said "Screw off!" with a blast of plexi power :o . He gave me this dirty look and then proceeded to turn the vocals up to balance everything. Now that's how it should be: Start out with the loud guitar and move everything around it.
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski