Jose Arredondo high gain mod. Myth or Reality

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Jose Arredondo high gain mod. Myth or Reality

Post by Necrovore » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:20 pm

We know about Eddie helping his buddy out by saying that Jose modded his amps. At least now we assume that this is a "false" statement. One of many of Eddie's blinds he used to keep a lid on his tone.

Metallica is another band that had Jose modded Marshalls. Kill "Em All is where they are "supposidely" recorded on. No post production magic going on there. I have an original vinyl from 1983 Megaforce Records put it out. A small indie label had no money for studio magic.

Steve Vai is another that supposidely had work done to his amp by Jose as well.

Jose is dead now. His reputation is up there with the likes of Lee Jackson. Probably moreso as Lee is known for decent mods but not that clean of work. At least on some of the photos that I have seen. Most of the Jackson modded amps that I have seen also went to a place in California called Metalhead guitars or Metalhead amplification, I can't remember which. The mods those guys did might be the rats nest modders on these amps.

Back to Arredondo's high gain mod. What is it? After all this time there are no photos? No one has taken one and traced out the circuit and drawn up a schematic? Mark Cameron is supposed to know what it is and used to mod amps with his "Jose" mod. Is this a real copied version or something similar but not actual?

After all this time I am starting to get very skeptical that this is an actual mod. Is it an additional preamp tube, component swap and no additional tube, what? This is starting to fall into the myth category in my eyes.

If any of you know what it is cough it up. Even if no one uses it it would still be a great circuit to experiment with/study.

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Brian Wallace » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 pm

I think Larry needs to reply on this post. :wink:
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

toner

Post by toner » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Maybe Larry really is Jose and this only adds to the conspiracy theory. :shock:

Necrovore, I know you're into heavy sounds. Do you like Mesa/Boogie? That may be more of what you're looking for. ? I'm not into high gain sounds myself but the Mesa rectifiers are pretty popular for that kind of stuff.

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:49 pm

OK Larry, cough it up :P What did Metallica do to there JMP 2203's to get that sound on the first 3 albums?????

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:17 am

toner wrote:Maybe Larry really is Jose and this only adds to the conspiracy theory. :shock:

Necrovore, I know you're into heavy sounds. Do you like Mesa/Boogie? That may be more of what you're looking for. ? I'm not into high gain sounds myself but the Mesa rectifiers are pretty popular for that kind of stuff.
The only Mesa tone that I will admit to really liking is Sykes tone on Whitesnake - Whitesnake. But I can tell that "that" tone would not work for fast picked stuff like I play. Still a godly tone though. The DR's are ok , but have a real tendency to get washed out. My other guitarist uses one and even when he is actually louder than me, my Marshall dominates the guitar frequencies. I get the whole "Man your amp is so damn loud". It isn't though it just sits right in that mid pocket where a guitar is supposed to be.

MarkCameron

Re: Jose Arredondo high gain mod. Myth or Reality

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:43 am

Necrovore wrote:We know about Eddie helping his buddy out by saying that Jose modded his amps. At least now we assume that this is a "false" statement. One of many of Eddie's blinds he used to keep a lid on his tone.

Metallica is another band that had Jose modded Marshalls. Kill "Em All is where they are "supposidely" recorded on. No post production magic going on there. I have an original vinyl from 1983 Megaforce Records put it out. A small indie label had no money for studio magic.

Steve Vai is another that supposidely had work done to his amp by Jose as well.

Jose is dead now. His reputation is up there with the likes of Lee Jackson. Probably moreso as Lee is known for decent mods but not that clean of work. At least on some of the photos that I have seen. Most of the Jackson modded amps that I have seen also went to a place in California called Metalhead guitars or Metalhead amplification, I can't remember which. The mods those guys did might be the rats nest modders on these amps.

Back to Arredondo's high gain mod. What is it? After all this time there are no photos? No one has taken one and traced out the circuit and drawn up a schematic? Mark Cameron is supposed to know what it is and used to mod amps with his "Jose" mod. Is this a real copied version or something similar but not actual?

After all this time I am starting to get very skeptical that this is an actual mod. Is it an additional preamp tube, component swap and no additional tube, what? This is starting to fall into the myth category in my eyes.

If any of you know what it is cough it up. Even if no one uses it it would still be a great circuit to experiment with/study.
There is no mystery to the Jose mod. There IS a schematic on the net and its close enough. SEARCH THE FORUM AND YOU WILL FIND IT But Jose did many different mods.
I do not copy Jose mods....The master is the idea I went with. I have seen more Jose Mods then anybody... I think..... being able to go through his shop when the store I worked for bought it out. The Ed thing is mostly split cathode w/brite cap(.0047)68 filtering 74--1959 pre-amp style... volume on 8(EVERYTHING WAS NOT ON TEN) ,MXR 6 bandEQ ,phase90,Flanger ,echoplex ,voltage 98volts....Jose Line out box to JTM 45 AND AC50(look at pictures of old set up) this is most of the gain...............AND EDWARD!!!!!!

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply Mark, I have heard great things about your new AMP line. Best of luck!

Allen

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:32 am

toner wrote:Maybe Larry really is Jose and this only adds to the conspiracy theory. :shock:
Hey man! I'm still alive :lol:

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Guitar Adjuster wrote:OK Larry, cough it up :P What did Metallica do to there JMP 2203's to get that sound on the first 3 albums?????
I don't know and I've never digged into any of Metallica's amps!

As I've met Metallica the first time in November 1992, as they've been on the 'Nowhere Else To Roam' tour over here in Europe, already their 4-th album was released - the 'black' album.

The only what I can say more is, that Metallica has used a 3-channel rebuild Marshall from me (among others) on their albums Load & Reload - this one:

http://www.larry-amplification.de/dino7xx/

which Kirk Hammet has buyed from me in November 1992 - and which originally was a 12-series Super Lead with a fryed PT and an evil torn up vinyl, where I've moved the OT away from the PT and placed the choke and 2 can caps inbetween while the rebuild, after the chassis has been zinc plated once again.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Mark, there was no disrespect intended with my post. I know that you as you have said probably had seen more of his mods than anyone. I was told that you based the high gain portion of your amp off of the Jose high gain mod you used to install into Marshalls. If I am incorrect, I stand corrected.

I have seen the schematic of this "Jose" mod through this board. It looks very very extensive. I do not think that this is just a gain mod as it adds several switches and a line in. Is this elusive high gain mod within this schematic? The switches on the front end do not really explain much of what their intent is for. I am sure with appropriately asked questions regarding specific details I can figure out what they are for.

As for the supposed Ed mods. At this point I really don't care about his tone. IT is unusable for what I do. Whatever Metallica had done to their amps prior to going to New York to record Kill EM All is more interesting to me. That is unless they are lying about their mods as well.....

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Guitar Adjuster wrote:OK Larry, cough it up :P What did Metallica do to there JMP 2203's to get that sound on the first 3 albums?????
I've always heard their first two albums were modded Superleads. I didn't really like their sound on the first two albums anyways.

I do plan on eventually getting a Mesa Mark IV amp.

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:24 pm

Necrovore wrote:Mark, there was no disrespect intended with my post. I know that you as you have said probably had seen more of his mods than anyone. I was told that you based the high gain portion of your amp off of the Jose high gain mod you used to install into Marshalls. If I am incorrect, I stand corrected.

I have seen the schematic of this "Jose" mod through this board. It looks very very extensive. I do not think that this is just a gain mod as it adds several switches and a line in. Is this elusive high gain mod within this schematic? The switches on the front end do not really explain much of what their intent is for. I am sure with appropriately asked questions regarding specific details I can figure out what they are for.

As for the supposed Ed mods. At this point I really don't care about his tone. IT is unusable for what I do. Whatever Metallica had done to their amps prior to going to New York to record Kill EM All is more interesting to me. That is unless they are lying about their mods as well.....
No disrespect or offense taken.
The schematic is all of it and will get you a great sounding amp. Yes, there is allot there .The switches will get you from stock 1959 to hi-gain. I think Kill'em All was a Jose without the push pull master and a Ts9 in front. I think there was a different Jose used on RTL.

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:03 pm

MarkCameron wrote:
Necrovore wrote:Mark, there was no disrespect intended with my post. I know that you as you have said probably had seen more of his mods than anyone. I was told that you based the high gain portion of your amp off of the Jose high gain mod you used to install into Marshalls. If I am incorrect, I stand corrected.

The schematic is all of it and will get you a great sounding amp. Yes, there is allot there .The switches will get you from stock 1959 to hi-gain. I think Kill'em All was a Jose without the push pull master and a Ts9 in front. I think there was a different Jose used on RTL.
Yeah, Ride the Lightening sounds loads better than Kill 'em All.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:33 pm

MarkCameron wrote:

Ok great. I know that you peruse this board more often now. I have a copy of that schematic. Going to start studying it more intently. Would you be so kind to give guidance on it when I ask? I will do it in open forum so as not to bother you privately as well as sharing the wealth of knowledge to all here.

MarkCameron

Post by MarkCameron » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Necrovore wrote: No disrespect or offense taken.

Ok great. I know that you peruse this board more often now. I have a copy of that schematic. Going to start studying it more intently. Would you be so kind to give guidance on it when I ask? I will do it in open forum so as not to bother you privately as well as sharing the wealth of knowledge to all here.

Ill try to help out but I dont have allot of time so I may not get back right away. The 1 meg x2 with the push-pull is not something you will find. Just connect the tone stack and master like a normal master volume Marshall, thats close to what you are looking for and what they used at the time .