Big

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Big Jim
Just the numbers in order: 7

Big

Post by Big Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm

No Big Deal Mike,
Hey what can anyone tell me about the Military spec Pots and Sozo Caps. I trying to learn all I can before I order. As far as the Big thing goes Ive been trying to blame it on my wifes Italian cooking but no one
believes me!
Jim
PRS Mccarty
Fender AM Deluxe strat
Hand Built (by me) Les paul jr
Fender Tele
Marshall DSL 100

Big Mike

Re: Big

Post by Big Mike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 pm

The sozo's are said to sound better, enough people I trust agree, so I went for that with my kit.

With the pots, I went PEC because they're made in Canada. After 6 or 7 years working with an electronic component manufacturer that brought stuff in from China, I wanted as much 'domestic' build as I can. LOL

I like the feel of the PEC pots, and felt it worth the upgrade. I'd get another set of fastening nuts if I were to do it agian, to position them back in the chassis a bit more. And I did manage to get solder to stick to the backs, but it sounds like I got lucky. LOL
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Ooops I think you started anew thread. LOL
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Guys, that's not the right forum for this kind of discussion :wink:

Therefore moved here. Please keep an eye on the forum's title and also the line below!

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Mcewen4444

Post by Mcewen4444 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:21 am

Big Jim wrote:No Big Deal Mike,
Hey what can anyone tell me about the Military spec Pots and Sozo Caps.
Can't comment on the pots but I can with the Sozo caps. I built George's 69 kit lead spec, when I first got it there was a mix up in my order, and I got Mallory caps instead of the Sozo's. With my original order I had added some additional Sozo's to try bass spec as well and I got those. Metro of course made things right and sent me the Sozo's that I should have got in the original order, so no issue there.

What I am getting at is I didn't wait on building the amp untill the other Sozo's arrived, so I ended up using the extra Sozo caps for the PI part of the circuit and the preamp and mixer area had the Mallory's when I first fired it up.

To me, I won't say one is better than other, they are different. The Mallory caps are more modern feeling when you play the amp. Like faster attack, a bit harsher, but not in a bad way. What was cool was taking that amp built that way, diming all the controls except bass off into a Hotplate set to load, graffic EQ, to a solid state power amp. Very very bright tight sound. Then EQ boosting bass way up around 100hz range. Great metal sound, but not what I am into anymore. Would have loved it 15 yrs ago.

With all Sozo's (standard ones is what I have), a bit more give and a little less harshness, this is working better for me, along as other mods to make the amp less harsh. Am more into the classic rock and VH thing, I like the Sozo's better. Have yet to try the vintage Sozo's.

lifer

Post by lifer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:36 am

i have two super leads that have all mustard caps....
also have other SL's with all sozo "standards".......

i cannot tell a difference.....did a "blind" a/b test w/ a friend....he could not

pick out the all "mustard" amps.....or sozo amps, for that matter!! :lol:

money well spent