PCB to PTP on a 1987x

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Greg_L
Just the numbers in order: 13492

PCB to PTP on a 1987x

Post by Greg_L » Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 am

Hello, I've had a little nag in my brain telling me to try retrofitting my Marshall 1987x Plexi reissue with a Metro PTP board because I want to tinker with this thing.

At first I was just going to build something from scratch, but I have this amp which already has switches, transformers, a chassis, head box, etc...so why not just swap the board?

So could it be as "easy" as just assembling a PTP board and wiring it in? Will my stock reissue transformers and choke work with a PTP board? :hide:

Greg_L

Re: PCB to PTP on a 1987x

Post by Greg_L » Wed May 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Hello? anyone got any input on this?

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 pm

I wouldn't :shock: . This will kill the resale value.
What do you want to do to it. Simple stuff like plexi or metal panel specs? or a complete overhall?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun May 21, 2017 9:23 am

Greg_L wrote:Hello, I've had a little nag in my brain telling me to try retrofitting my Marshall 1987x Plexi reissue with a Metro PTP board because I want to tinker with this thing.

At first I was just going to build something from scratch, but I have this amp which already has switches, transformers, a chassis, head box, etc...so why not just swap the board?

So could it be as "easy" as just assembling a PTP board and wiring it in? Will my stock reissue transformers and choke work with a PTP board? :hide:
Yes it will all work with your amp assuming your work is clean and tidy and you use quality components.
I personally like the split top turrets and paxolin and use Piher resistors and mustard caps whenever possible (mainly because I have accumulated enough for my current projects over the years). You can get pretty close with good quality CF resistors and Mallory or Sozo caps (read the threads) and the Valvestorm/Metroboards come pre-drilled to fit the RI chassis which is a big plus. I would desolder the wires on the sockets and use the correct wire colours on the new board so that a refit if you decide to sell is easy.
People here will help guide you if you get stuck.
This guy knocks them out to your specs if you are feeling lazy, but building the board is the best bit!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Wired-Su ... Swd0BV003k
Neil

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L » Sat May 27, 2017 12:35 am

neikeel wrote:
Yes it will all work with your amp assuming your work is clean and tidy and you use quality components.
I personally like the split top turrets and paxolin and use Piher resistors and mustard caps whenever possible (mainly because I have accumulated enough for my current projects over the years). You can get pretty close with good quality CF resistors and Mallory or Sozo caps (read the threads) and the Valvestorm/Metroboards come pre-drilled to fit the RI chassis which is a big plus. I would desolder the wires on the sockets and use the correct wire colours on the new board so that a refit if you decide to sell is easy.
People here will help guide you if you get stuck.
This guy knocks them out to your specs if you are feeling lazy, but building the board is the best bit!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Wired-Su ... Swd0BV003k
Hey thanks for the reply and sorry for my late response. I've been on vacation.

PTP conversion is definitely something I'm interested in trying. I don't want a pre-made board. As you say, the tinkering is the fun part! I'll do more research.