elevated heaters

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

herbvis
Just the numbers in order: 7

elevated heaters

Post by herbvis » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:52 am

Hey everybody,

Hoping for a little help on implementing elevated heaters in my 2203 in order to reduce some noise. I more or less understand the theory and idea behind it, I was hoping someone could chime in with advice on how to physically do the modification. So what i gather is that I basically need to add a voltage divider off my dc and connect my pt ct to the junction of the divider. So let me see if I understand correctly.

First I need to connect one leg of a resistor to my dc power line.
Then take another resistor and connect it to the other end of the first resistor.
Then the free leg of that resistor needs to go to ground.
Then I connect the pt ct to the junction of the created voltage divider.
Then I need a cap to bypass the resistor that connects to ground.

Is that corrector am I way off base?
Thanks

Freebird
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: elevated heaters

Post by Freebird » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Herbvis

According your description it is correct. Furthermore I have a picture for you http://www.tristancollins.me/wp-content ... r_Mod1.png, which shows how it should be. I found it on http://www.tristancollins.me/guitar/amp ... ation-mod/:

On the picture you see the center point of the heaters connected between resistors 56k and 220k. The cap is stabilizing the "divided" elevated voltage.

I hope it helps.

Best regards
Daniel

herbvis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: elevated heaters

Post by herbvis » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:59 pm

That's most excellent! Much appreciated. I'm going to give it a shot and see if if helps. I modd3d it the amp with an extra gain stage so it's a little noisy. Nature of the beast. Thanks again!