fake mustards

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

crumb

Re: fake mustards

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 am

go ahead, im not sure what that facebook page settings are though, if it doesn't work, just get back to me here.

good news people.

the autopsy is going ahead.
Ive been refunded.
And I have the four caps.

Im too lazy to do it right now and the dog is busting me for walking time.

i'll probably do the autopsy tonight...in four or five hours..ill post the images on my facebook page.

Is crumb a loon?
lets find out!

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 am

axeman, if you cant post them there, post them here, others will want to take a look and maybe even comment, ill be back in an hour or two..but im a bit busy until later to do autopsy

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 am

hello

to anyone watching/who cares,

Autopsy wont be done tonight. have family stuff i gotta do and im working on another little thing atm.
I'll be making a fool of myself, i mean, ill prove my theory tomorrow, the results thereof will be posted on my facebook page at that time..in 24 hours..a little less. I promise.
i'd post the images here but the system here wont let me.
Axeman, don't worry about what people think bud, use your amp to help teach other people, your caps may be real, they may be fake. If theyre fake and it bothers you, there are real caps out there, ill help you get some..i know EXACTLY where some real ones are right now. Post your images here and show the people whats goin on..we shall get to the bottom of the matter don't you worry.
if the amp sounds as good as you say it does, leave them in there. These fakes, if they sound better than the originals (they're just film and foil after all ) then even better, i want some, but I don't fucking like being ripped off, especially by some sharp mouthed thief like our friend here.
till tomorrow.
tassos

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Last edited by Tazin on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:49 pm

It has been a bizarre experience following this thread.

I have seen fake mustards and none of the caps I have seen in these links have been fake.

They are not UK or Dutch manufacture but that is not the point.

They were made under licence all over the world to a common spec. Look at the Bianchi ones.

Sure if you are buying for restoration they are no good for you but perfect for building clones IMO.

Perfectly valid concerns seem to have slid into an almost paranoid hole.

I have no dog in this fight apart from liking mustards in my builds (ok I like the little green bean chicklet caps that you get in the 76/77 JMPs too.

I would have no problem in buying a box of those Aussie 0.022uF 400v at right price. :peace:
Neil

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:50 pm

tazin,

your observation is astute, and very relevant to this topic.
Imagine laying down a piece of mylar ( lets call it mylar for now, it may be mylar, i have no idea..its the clear film in the construction..the dialectic.
Imagine that mylar is ...2 feet long...and 25mm wide...
then, right on top of it you place a sheet of aluminium 2 feet long and..35mm wide.
these is a 5mm overhang of mylar at either end of your new capacitor ..so then just fold those extra bits back over the aluminum, like making your bed.
I never make my bed, what a drag baby..
Anyway...you roll that up like a pastry...theres the body of your capacitor.
its kind of hard to explain it without a whiteboard or something, but that tucked over bit of mylar means the aluminum cant short out on itself at the ends..if you know what i mean.
Now bear with me, this is important to understand if you want to see why these old mustards are cracking around the ends..
the leads are attached to the ends of the cylinder by epoxy..trust me..its epoxy..two pack or something fucken hard...really hard..
The reason why caps are now failing at the ends..why the cracks are forming..is because the epoxy blob that basically attaches the lead to the capacitor...is attached to that mylar overhang.
Now, this is where it gets interesting...the mylar on old mustards tears very easily...you unroll one..just grab the ribbon..and try and tear it..it just pulls away and tears with very little effort, tearing the extremely thin aluminium with it, it really is just sandwich/food covering style aluminium.
The mylar they used is either degenerated..or its just soft, like cellophane. My hunch is probably a little of both.
When you unroll the ribbon ..the centre of one these fake capacitors ...and then try and tear the ribbon..it simply wont tear..it just stretches into a thin string of plastic and aluminium..it will not tear.
I have conducted my autopsy, and the results are conclusive..these capacitors are fake.
Very fake. there is some lovely irony revealed also, ill explain later on my facebook page, Ive got some great shots too guys. There is a lot more info.
Bit busy right now..but i had to comment on that post, you sir, are an astute observer.

tassos
Last edited by crumb on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Neil

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm

I've seen those, theyre not fake i dont think ..he's not claiming they are mustards..just related to mustards.
those were made by an english company called...s.c.r something like that.

did i just read the word ' paranoid'?
the definition of the word paranoid as it relates to this topic goes as follows.
You've sold these snydes to people, and you check your email every ten seconds to see if theyve contacted you.
Or, some geezer wants his money back and you've spent his money on a metropoulos transformer so you try and avoid the guy.

when endless bags of this shit show up on ebay year after year..decade after decade. sorry guys..it was just obvious.
The untarnished leads and vented " philips service bags" along with the desperate attempts to mislead you good people from a slick mouthed serpent with 400 of them should have been enough to convince anyone i would have thought.

Anyway, i have to do other stuff now. Ill do the whole write up and paste pictures etc later, ill try and put them here but i dont like my chances, ill just chuck em on that facebook page.

tassos

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:27 pm

SRC are the UK that made similar caps (same goes for their silver mica caps that look like RS and Lemco).

It would be great if you could post clear pics and examples of true fakery, just none of the Aussie ebay links you showed me look fake, maybe I have not seen the right ones? "Edumacate me guv'nor"

How do you like this one :lol:

Neil

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Last edited by Tazin on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:48 pm

hello

When i stated the material was epoxy, and very hard , i was referring more to the fake.
to dissasemble the fake i had to use a small screwdriver beaten with a pair of pliers.took ages.

i took the coating off a 5600pf cap scraping it with my fingernail 2 weeks ago.
3300pf cap was a little harder to take coating off, but not too much, scraped it off with a screwdriver.
.1uf i disassembled , the coating was again scraped off with screwdriver..no beating whatsoever.

the epoxy or whatever it is , is going off on all vintage mustard caps..its going soft..oxidising.

more info later..gotta go

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:55 pm

neikeel wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:27 pm
SRC are the UK that made similar caps (same goes for their silver mica caps that look like RS and Lemco).

It would be great if you could post clear pics and examples of true fakery, just none of the Aussie ebay links you showed me look fake, maybe I have not seen the right ones? "Edumacate me guv'nor"

How do you like this one :lol:

That's quite some art work there. :lol:

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:14 pm

let me be a little clearer on what i observed re: the ends where the leads go on.

( lets just refer to the fake for a second, the only glue/coating ive ever encountered that needs to be beaten,hammered apart is epoxy, i mean you gotta use sharp things beaten with pliers/hammers etc)

i could not establish if the lead was soldered to the wrap. I could however , easily see that the epoxy forms the structure of the capacitor, not the guts, so to speak..but the shell that holds it all together.
the lead goes in, and gets held to the wrap by an unknown to me method..if it was solder it would be an incredible machine that solders it..the foil is so thin...without the epoxy shell it would simply break off the foil wrap..the epoxy holds the lead in place..its an excoskeleton of sorts.

when i referred to a kind of paste, in my earlier posts..what i was actually seeing was the torn foil and mylar ends all coiled up on the epoxy, or epoxy like material that holds the lead onto the body of the capacitor.

pictures easily explain this, and i have good ones.

im doing a little job here and stealing time from it to write here.
i will post images and share data a little later today

tassos

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:18 pm

that .022 uh..looks like i made it here myself ( i do actually want to make some caps now )...but the .0022 to me looks like it could be real. note the lengthened leads..this component was in some piece of equipment and re-used.
it does look a little odd but remember here they were made all over the place.
id say that little odd .0022 is real.

crumb

Post by crumb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 pm

i dont think you can solder aluminium btw..or weld it to steel. id say its a press fit all held together by that coating/structural material.