5e3 clone

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 5e3 clone

Post by fixer2 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 pm

Hey Danman I finally got some time to test the pin 8 to ground and with it drain and off and unplugged I’m getting from the pin to ground 247.5 ohms so I’m getting 250 ohms .so do you think I have a bad 6v6 tube

danman

Post by danman » Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 pm

That is very possible. Remove the power tubes and take a DC voltage reading on pins 3, 4 and 6 of both power tube sockets. Let me know what you read there. You should join the forum that I mentioned earlier. You can easily post pics there and all of the fellas are very familiar with the 5e3 circuit. Here is a link to that forum..
https://www.tdpri.com/

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Ok I will get back to you with the measurements I got a new set of tube and I got them burned in for 24 hours and matched just to let you know

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:14 pm

Well I finally got some time to get back into the amp I know it’s been months since I asked my questions , well I was taking out the board to just redo my wires and I’m going to color code them not use all yellow color wire like they supplied with the kit , and I notice that the very first resistor the pre amp cathode resistor right ? Well it is burnt , what should I check to figure that out I’m learning this stuff but I would like a short cut and get the amp up and going so I can get to doing the other voltage testing and then get back to the guys at the other discussion forum and figure out that big 3 watt resistor burning up , could that resistor be to small for today’s higher wall voltage 123 volts versus 109 year ago just wanting to know where to start looking and why it is drawing so much current and burning up these two different resistors and one is in the power supply and the other in the pre amp section did I forget to hook up something maybe a ground any help will be great

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Well I finally got some time to get back into the amp I know it’s been months since I asked my questions , well I was taking out the board to just redo my wires and I’m going to color code them not use all yellow color wire like they supplied with the kit , and I notice that the very first resistor the pre amp cathode resistor right ? Well it is burnt , what should I check to figure that out I’m learning this stuff but I would like a short cut and get the amp up and going so I can get to doing the other voltage testing and then get back to the guys at the other discussion forum and figure out that big 3 watt resistor burning up , could that resistor be to small for today’s higher wall voltage 123 volts versus 109 year ago just wanting to know where to start looking and why it is drawing so much current and burning up these two different resistors and one is in the power supply and the other in the pre amp section did I forget to hook up something maybe a ground any help will be great

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:38 am

What would cause the first cathode resistor to burn up the resistor on V1

danman

Post by danman » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:58 pm

It's hard to make suggestions without seeing exactly what you are referring too. Post some pics with the burnt resistor over at the Telecaster forum and we can try to figure out what's going on. The guys their are very helpful but you will need to respond back to their questions in a timely manner or your thread will quickly get buried and forgotten about.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:29 pm

Ok I will get some pictures on there , I’m right now working 70 hours a week between my two jobs thanks .

danman

Post by danman » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:22 pm

I'll check your pics over at the other forum and see if I can help.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:42 am

I got some more pictures of the amp on the other form so you can look at them there on this forum I can not post pictures . I did see a second resistor burnt the very first resistor on v1 r9 and I still have the dropping resistor in the power section that big 3 watt resistor I’m doing some ohm test for a few different board members I know you have been very helpful with me in the past thank you . Well I’m going to figure it out I’m also taking a online course of tube amp basics from a well known guy so I’m really trying I just don’t have all that much time with having two jobs but that’s what it is having to pay for stuff and things keep going up in price so I will get to it thanks again

danman

Post by danman » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:54 pm

You definitely have something wired wrong in the power supply that is pulling too much current. If you look at the actual schematic for the 5e3 circuit, you will see that the power supply starts at pin 8 of the rectifier, travel through the three large capacitors and their dropping resistors and then heads to the preamp plate resistors. Something along this path is probably making contact with the chassis or wired to the wrong spot. This causes excessive current through those first couple of dropping resistors which is the reason they are burning up. Keep checking everything along this path and you will find it. Could be a wiring error, a pinch wire or even a blob of solder under the board that is hanging down and touching the chassis.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:13 am

That makes sense to me thank you for explaining the path it takes I can check it out now thank you yes I think it is grounding out to the chassis by a glob of soider I will get back to you in a few days

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Danman I just think I found what I had wired wrong I put the wire from the b plus on the board to pin 2 on V3 instead of pin 1 so there was higher voltage on the heater wires I guess that would draw more current and burn up the voltage dropping resistor and burn up the resistor on v1 label r9 I would like it explained to me what I had going on and what else I probably messed up in the amp but I wanted you to know what I’m looking at now because you have been so helpful thank you

danman

Post by danman » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:14 pm

Glad you found it. The heater filament winding is connected to ground through the green/yellow centertap. Connecting a B+ wire to pin 2 was allowing the B+ voltage to find it's way to ground through that centertap. Hopefully nothing was damaged elsewhere in the circuit or transformer.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:44 am

Danman I have a question is there anyway I can test the transformer or other parts of the circuit that was stressed out and or possibly hurt by my mistake I have not power it up yet I have been doing more research on the amp