Greg Germino on Amp Building

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

StuntDouble
Just the numbers in order: 7

Greg Germino on Amp Building

Post by StuntDouble » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 am

Nothing ground breaking and maybe this belongs in another section, but it gave me the itch to want to build a 1200 series...and go fishing in whatever river that is in the video. Man, his work is clean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr08UMqa1ww" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150

Re: Greg Germino on Amp Building

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 am

That the best Mr Rogers neighborhood episode I've ever seen. His slow accent kills me. "we source these from the yuuu- kaaaay".
Cool vid. :thumbsup:
12000 Metro Kit

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Wow, he can do allot with that small space. I've got to get organized. :oops:

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:44 am

Strat78 wrote:Wow, he can do allot with that small space. I've got to get organized. :oops:
My organization is horrible. My wife got me a big tackle box for my birthday to keep all of my parts in. I had a parts drawer full of little card board boxes that I was always dumping out on the kitchen table to find stuff. She set up a work bench in the garge for me while I was deployed too. Now that's an understanding wife. :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to build an amp craddle when I get home, and maybe get an oscilliscope and a soldering station. :rock:

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:47 am

ahhh...double post.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 am

I just got a Weller digital station. Really nice. Definately need an amp cradle. My original one I built is getting a bit rickety. I think I could build this Webber one for about $30.

https://amptechtools.powweb.com/cradle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:04 am

This one has hardware part #'s as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qmam43tanmm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 am

Does Greg even have a chassis cradle in that shop? The Weber I have is kind of useless once you have the tranny's mounted. The two panels that the chassis rest on should have been at least an 1 1/2" higher because the OT bottoms out on the side rails, never mind the swivel function which I removed long ago. Again, Greg's shop is really nice, even for a hobbyist like me it would be great to have that set up, would be safer with my little daughter running around (I put the fear of God in her when it comes to open chassis). While I work, she sits on the floor wrapping her dolls with my mutli-colored electrical tape. It's the only way I can steel an extra hour of amp time. :hide:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:53 am

Yeah I wondered if he uses one or not. I made mine with the rotating piece but soon ditched that as well.
12000 Metro Kit

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 am

I need to be more organized and more patient. I never have much time, so I'm always in a hurry, which as it turns out, is the best way to wind up with cold solder joints. :lol: My son is two, and he loves lights, gadgets and bright colors as do most toddlers; the only way my wife and I could explain electricity to him is "hot". We figured that we had to get on that quick when he brought us a big pile of safety plugs that he pulled from the wall.
He climbed up on a kitchen chair while I was working on my Peacemaker at the kitchen table and pointed to the open chassis and said, Ohhhhhhhhhh, like it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I thought, oh boy; no open chassis around this kid ever!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 am

Watched this again. I notice he doesnt put components down into the turret holes. He wraps them all around. :scratch:
12000 Metro Kit

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:12 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:Watched this again. I notice he doesnt put components down into the turret holes. He wraps them all around. :scratch:
Not quite...
Germino Monterey 100.jpg
(114.32 KiB) Downloaded 2516 times
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:47 pm

I also found it interesting that Germino explains that mixing sealed pots with unsealed pots sounds better. Volumes and Bass are unsealed, Treble, Mid and Presense are sealed. Could anybody here possibly explain how this feature in a pot affects the response or tone?

:shrug:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

StuntDouble

Post by StuntDouble » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 am

syscokid wrote:I also found it interesting that Germino explains that mixing sealed pots with unsealed pots sounds better. Volumes and Bass are unsealed, Treble, Mid and Presense are sealed. Could anybody here possibly explain how this feature in a pot affects the response or tone?

:shrug:
Yeah, I wondered why the 1 meg volume and bass pots would be different. I wonder if his mil-spec pots are carbon or conductive plastic. I know Larry doesn't care much for the conductive plastic pots. I found the Clarostat RV4 to have a grainy feel, but I didn't think they sounded bad.

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser

Post by ValveStorm » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:35 am

Its probably based on cost vs sound. It may be that he feels the cheaper 1M audio pots don't contribute that much to the sound. I know one guy who uses all alphas; except for the 250k treble pot, where he uses the CTS.
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!