Capacitor brand question

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Tone Slinger

Capacitor brand question

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Ok, I have standard sozo's in my 12xxx/2203 hybrid. I was wondering what I will hear if I swap out a sozo with a mustard, or a sozo for a xicon box ? In other words, mustards are 'warm/soft' ,xicon box caps are tighter/harder, is this right. Where do the sozo's fit into this comparison ? I only have two 'non' sozo's (a sprague Atom and a xicon .0022)
I'm quite happy, but notice that alot of guy's have a yellow box xicon .68uf instead of a mustard,or mustard pi caps instead of box xicons, etc.

Is there a general way to look at this ? I only ask, cause componant composition is a variable I havent messed with to much extent. The values are easier to ascertain, concerning sonic performance.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

toner

Re: Capacitor brand question

Post by toner » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 pm

I don't think it matters as much for cathode bypass caps but I haven't done a lot of experimenting with those. You're more likely to notice a difference with coupling caps because the entire audio signal passes through them.

I switched from well broken-in sozo standard coupling and tone stack caps to NOS mustards and immediately noticed that the high frequencies were less fizzy and the mids were slightly enhanced or "clearer". My overall impression was that mustards were smoother and better balanced across the frequency range (bass-mid-treble). It's almost like the sozo's had dips and peaks at various frequencies (like you can do with a 31 band graphic EQ in a PA) and the mustards were flatter across the entire frequency range. It's very hard to describe.

Search the forum. There are several threads about sozo vs. mustard.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks man, that makes good sense. I dont enjoy building/modding amps, but I guess I'm gonna have to try out different cap brands to more extent in various circuit spots, so I can say I tried to improve the tone. I can always go back to what I already have if I'm not happy. Its just so enticing to try and make a great sound even better.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

toner

Post by toner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:06 am

I know exactly what you mean. "What if I install 'x' component? Will I finally be happy with my tone?" -- I'm sure most of us can relate to that!

I haven't changed anything except power tubes in my main amp for over 3 years. I guess that's the real goal, however. Find what works for you and enjoy it. Good luck. :)

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Keep in mind many parts affect each other. A Varipex uses all new metal film resistors and all the Xicon yellow box caps. it's not what you'd expectfrom the tone, but it just happens to work for that combination. Also uses a Mercury OT/PT combination.
12000 Metro Kit

RACKSYSTEMS

Post by RACKSYSTEMS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:10 am

It does not use metal film. Carbon film
Rack Systems / Tone Merchants
5419 Cleon Ave.
North Hollywood, Ca. 91601
[818] 209-4309
Racksystems@yahoo.com
Tonemerchants.com

vanhalen5150