'69-'73 100w superlead chassis and turret boards

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jimmyride
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: '69-'73 100w superlead chassis and turret boards

Post by jimmyride » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:
jimmyride wrote:Some time ago I read a thread about opening kinda similar shop to american valvestorm in EU. UK I think. But I can't remember who it was from. Do you guys have some info? Is it going to happen? If so, when? The shipping/tax costs are making the builds pretty expensive..
Even to Canada its getting pretty bad mate. The shipping from the supplier is fine. Its the guys with the badges at the border taking their piece of the pie that kills you. I can't even imagine what its costing you guys. :shock:
I'll give you the example. Metro trannies and choke from Heyboer cost me 445$ shipped plus 20% tax which 445 + 89 = 534$. A year ago they made new rules for shipments outside the EU. You had a decent chance to avoid the clearance procedure before that. But now they do it with everything.

emmjaydubya
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by emmjaydubya » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Strat78 wrote: Don't encourage copy cats, support the guys who pulled this craft back out of obscurity. It's the NOS neurosis that puts us on the path to bankruptcy, the chassis are a bargain with high overseas customs or not. I love getting stuff from Europe, Asia or down under, it's worth the cost just to know something has traveled so far to my little New Jersey work shop to complete a build. :D
Agreed, so thankful for George and Robert. Between both of them they have allowed someone like me who has always loved Marshalls, to actually build awesome clones of the originals I can't afford to buy. There is definitely something to be said for spending money in the right place, even if it costs a little more.

I have been getting stuff from all over: Greece, Turkey, Serbia, Norway, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, France and England. Granted I haven't been paying 20% import tax on it, but it ain't cheap either! Even though I like being able to buy all the hard parts from one place like Valvestorm, it's cool to know the rest of my amp is from everywhere else.
Last edited by emmjaydubya on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

emmjaydubya wrote:
Strat78 wrote: Don't encourage copy cats, support the guys who pulled this craft back out of obscurity. It's the NOS neurosis that puts us on the path to bankruptcy, the chassis are a bargain with high overseas customs or not. I love getting stuff from Europe, Asia or down under, it's worth the cost just to know something has traveled so far to my little New Jersey work shop to complete a build. :D
Agreed, so thankful for George and Robert. Between both of them they have allowed someone like me who has always loved Marshalls, to actually build awesome clones of the originals I can't afford to buy. There is definitely something to be said for spending money in the right place, even if it costs a little more.

I have been getting stuff from all over: Greece, Turkey, Serbia, Norway, Spain, Italy, France and England. Granted I haven't been paying 20% import tax on it, but it ain't cheap either! Even though I like being able to buy all the hard parts from one place like Valvestorm, it's cool to know the rest of my amp is from everywhere else.
I have nothing but respect for these guys and I feel as grateful as you do. My plexi replica sounds as good as I always dreamed it would thanks to them. But times are tough and I would certainly appreciate a closer/cheaper alternative with the same quality level.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 pm

I hear ya, took me about 9 months to buy all the stuff for my plexi, in fact I finally just ordered the choke today. And I still have yet to buy tubes, a head box, a variac, or an attenuator! :stars: No doubt it's an expensive game.

Did I mention how addictive it is?

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:25 am

To avoid a lot of charges, you have to work with the shipper as to how the package is labelled.
12000 Metro Kit

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 am

emmjaydubya wrote:I hear ya, took me about 9 months to buy all the stuff for my plexi, in fact I finally just ordered the choke today. And I still have yet to buy tubes, a head box, a variac, or an attenuator! :stars: No doubt it's an expensive game.

Did I mention how addictive it is?
Yes - hurry up want to see that chassis again :wink:
Neil

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 am

Check out the tag boards on this '68 50 watter.

http://youtu.be/1tBg327elZI?t=57s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:33 am

neikeel wrote:Yes - hurry up want to see that chassis again :wink:
Still waiting on a few more Iskras and the choke.

Oh yeah, and I'm using the .068 chicklet and the Hunts 32+32 for the pre that you sent with the chassis! Cheers Neil!