12xxx build with a couple of pics

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

BrownSound1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 12xxx build with a couple of pics

Post by BrownSound1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Post a pic of the fuse/ground thingy you were talking about. I have mine wired per NightOwl instructions (there's no Metro 12xxx build istructions, only '69 super lead, as y'all know).

I hear ya about the MV/s. I yanked mine and UNcascaded the the front end. Getting mine to stock for the FIRST time. THANKS again Vanhalen5150 for making me 'see the light' with the great clips of your stock Metro 12xxx/kit clips. Now, WHICH attenuator do I need............ The dual volume UA looks good (but wow what a price :shock: ).
I will get you a pic this evening if I can. The ground stays the same as you have it now.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Strat78 wrote:
BrownSound1 wrote: Thank you! That is a 500 pf that I got from Valvestorm.
I only mention the mix cap because with a PPIMV, having something like a 250pf seems to make it less brittle, though that might only apply to a mod5 type set up. Anyway, let her brake in nicely then go back in and do the fine adjustments, though I aways come back to the basic 12XXX spec. Hell, you might as well try the mod5, since you are half way there. :)
:popcorn:
Does the PPIMV still impact the tone if it is dimed? Isn't it completely out of the circuit?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:16 pm

So how does it sound? I just ordered a couple of Marstran irons (2562 and 1998), but I am curious how your classic tone PT sags. :toast:

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am

Well cranked I certainly hear VH trying to break through, but my chops aren't what they used to be. :) The PT appears to work as it should, and I have no complaints on my end. I took it up to Nashville back in February, and got many compliments on how good it sounded. One guy, John Prestia, put it through the paces with one of his gazillion Les Pauls, and a few pedals. It sounded a lot like Lance Keltner's demo tonewise of George's 12xxx series. He was impressed with it.

Personally, I love my amp. I need to get some different speakers as my Marshall JCM 800 4x12, that I got for dirt cheap, has old Marshall G12 Vintage speakers in them. These are broken in to hell and back, and the cab was used on the last Tim McGraw album. Prestia is his guitar tech. Cab doesn't sound bad considering the speakers, but it isn't classic VH.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

EJSLPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I used to love to build models when i was really young and amp building(12000 style in particular) not only looks fun but
the and result is something you can play through, modify,etc.
I definitely want to get into building a 12000 clone.
Luckily i have a head start since i learned circuits and electronics years ago.
But i do not know how to read a schematic or know why the various parts create the final results.
It is a LOT to learn and understand compared to building a toy jet or corvette from plastic! :lol: