How is the quality of modern Marshall 1960 cabinets?

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

slashsound

How is the quality of modern Marshall 1960 cabinets?

Post by slashsound » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 pm

I was wondering if the 1960 cabs made in the last 25 years or so are good or whether I should buy some from MOJO or some other company or maker instead. The reason I ask is that some guy who claimed to be a cab expert told me that after 1969 or 1972 I cant remember which, that marshall changed their design or quality of materials used ...and that anything after said year is crap. I dont know if this is true or hearsay. I was hoping that someone with true understanding could give me an honest opinion, even the SOUTHBAY can chip in if he wants, if he is nice about it. I am bring offered a tore up mid 90s marshall 1960A cab for 325 bucks but i dont know if it is worth it. Thanks
Last edited by slashsound on Fri May 15, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mike
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: How is the quality of modern Marshall 1960 cabinets?

Post by Big Mike » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm

JCM900 and newer = MDF Crap IMO.

Mojo, Avatar, many MANY better cabs. They switched to particle board in almost every important joint in the cab.

You'd do better with Crate or Peavey cabs.

IMO.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

paulster

Post by paulster » Fri May 15, 2009 3:43 am

The JCM900 cabs were still ply shells but particle-board back, I thought.

You could swap the back out for a ply one, but the build quality is still likely to be average at best when compared to a Mojo or one of the boutiques like Stoneage, Vintage Headbox and now Scumback.

Have you found the link marked 'Search' at the top of the page? This has been covered ad nauseam.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Fri May 15, 2009 4:00 am

paulster wrote:The JCM900 cabs were still ply shells but particle-board back, I thought.

You could swap the back out for a ply one, but the build quality is still likely to be average at best when compared to a Mojo or one of the boutiques like Stoneage, Vintage Headbox and now Scumback.

Have you found the link marked 'Search' at the top of the page? This has been covered ad nauseam.
Cool, didnt know scumback makes cabs now, kinda wish he didnt hate my guts so much.

S.Marshall

Post by S.Marshall » Fri May 15, 2009 4:50 am

Why do you not want or like the 80's cabs you said you have? Didn't you say you have two or three?
-Steve

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Fri May 15, 2009 9:53 am

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Fri May 15, 2009 11:07 am

S.Marshall wrote:Why do you not want or like the 80's cabs you said you have? Didn't you say you have two or three?
Never said I didnt want them. I just want to get my facts straight. Plus, I sold them in order to place an order for an SG and VOX AC4TV with Sweetwater ... which should be pretty sweet. :D

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 am

S.Marshall wrote:Why do you not want or like the 80's cabs you said you have? Didn't you say you have two or three?
Never said I didnt want them. I just want to get my facts straight. Plus, I sold them in order to place an order for an SG and VOX AC4TV with Sweetwater ... which should be pretty sweet. :D

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 pm

paulster wrote:The JCM900 cabs were still ply shells but particle-board back, I thought.

MDF back yes, for a long time. But the baffle, the bracing where the slant meets, several other parts have cheapened out progressively since the 800 series. I've played identical 900 and 800 cabs, both with V30s. The 800 sounded better.

That said, live I don't think it would make much difference, but I'd rather have something more substantial. I have a 74ish Marshall 4x12 Scumbag recovered for me that sounds awesome. I bet something from Stoneage or Jbrax would be nice too, as well as Southbay's new cabs.

Not to mention George's cabs which I'm sure are great as well.

New marshall cabs...unless I can get it for 150 bucks after selling off teh speakers, I don't want it. LOL
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee