First post, question on bass response

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

bamajohn
Just the numbers in order: 7

First post, question on bass response

Post by bamajohn » Fri May 29, 2009 6:40 pm

I too am reading and learning as fast as I can. The very idea that I might try soldering together my own amp just dawned on me a couple weeks ago. I owned a Lee Jackson XLS-1000 and Marshall 1982 2x12 cabinet loaded with G12T75's, I grew tired of that rig because it just didn't fit what I was looking for. I bought it before I really knew what I wanted. I've spent a lot of time since then with a Line6 AX2 and PODxt, and I'm in the process of selling those and just starting fresh. I play mostly at home, was one of two guitarists at my old church for 6 years, stopped playing there when my son was born. He just turned 6, and I'm wanting / needing to get back into guitar again. I have an Agile AL-1500 LP copy and a '92 Ibanez S540FM with Duncan JB and Dimarzio single coils.

I was pretty set on getting a Mojave Scorpion and G12H30 2x12 cabinet after hearing clips. I understand there are differences in feel that cannot make it into clips. Older Peacemaker clips (the low-tuned "I'm Buzzed" and "Miss America" from Styx) already had me jazzed for that sound, not to mention the really good ZZTop, VH, and clean clips I have seen and heard.

Maybe this is just an inaccurate perception, but from all the vintage Marshall, Metro, and other Plexi-like amps I've heard, there's a tonal emphasis on the highs and mids, but only a few amps really have that deep punch to go along with it. Without trying to sound like a Mojave salesman, that's one of the distinctives I hear in their clips. Is this more a function of the speakers, since I notice they usually use G12H30's while most Plexi clips use Greenbacks? Or are there also component choices that influence just how punchy or deep a Plexi goes regardless of the speakers?

Jerry G

Re: First post, question on bass response

Post by Jerry G » Sat May 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Owning a Scorpion and various different speakers, the low end punch you are looking for can only be found in a Marshall or Marshall clone.

The Scorpion definatly has the articulation, mid range and high-end but I would certainly try one for yourself before buying one.

bamajohn

Post by bamajohn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Jerry G wrote:Owning a Scorpion and various different speakers, the low end punch you are looking for can only be found in a Marshall or Marshall clone.

The Scorpion definatly has the articulation, mid range and high-end but I would certainly try one for yourself before buying one.
Not sure I understand this statement--first, the Scorpion is supposed to be a Marshall plexi clone, albeit with some differences in the circuit. Second, are you saying the Scorpion lacks bass response compared to, say, a Metro '68 Plexi kit? My point was to state the opposite, that I hear a heavier emphasis on mids and highs from plexi replicas, but I may be mistaken simply due to the lack of quality sound clips. I've yet to have a chance to put hands on either a Metro amp or a Scorpion, so I am working from what I have available.

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 am

just try a 1969-78 superbass
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:37 am

bamajohn wrote:
Jerry G wrote:Owning a Scorpion and various different speakers, the low end punch you are looking for can only be found in a Marshall or Marshall clone.

Not sure I understand this statement--first, the Scorpion is supposed to be a Marshall plexi clone, albeit with some differences in the circuit. Second, are you saying the Scorpion lacks bass response compared to, say, a Metro '68 Plexi kit? My point was to state the opposite, that I hear a heavier emphasis on mids and highs from plexi replicas, but I may be mistaken simply due to the lack of quality sound clips. I've yet to have a chance to put hands on either a Metro amp or a Scorpion, so I am working from what I have available.
The Scorpion is NOT a plexi clone. It is Mojave's impression of EVH's early sound. Don't get me wrong I am not putting the amp down, I love my Scorpion for what it is but it is not a Marshall.

I am currently looking for the Marshall sound and that is why I am on this forum. I am not sure I want to buy a Marshall reissue, I think I would be better off buying a Metro.

But I know first hand that the bottom end punch I am looking for is not in the Scorpion. The closest Marshall sounding Mojave would probably be the Sidewinder, maybe you should check that one out.

bamajohn

Post by bamajohn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:17 am

Thanks for the comments. I'm really surprised to hear the Scorpion lacks the low end punch you're looking for. I'll keep my ears and eyes open on the Sidewinder as well.