High Voltage Secondary Centre Tap

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

el34on11

High Voltage Secondary Centre Tap

Post by el34on11 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:11 pm

I've got a(dumb) :oops: question about the centre tap on the high voltage secondaries for 100 watt. I've noticed in the awesome layouts provided here that there is some differances in where the centre tap connects. I'm looking at the layouts for 1959 with the six cap cans on top of the chassis in particular. Some show it connected to the ground lug on the mains filter close to the power/standby switches. Where another shows it connected to the seriesed cap farthest away from the switches. And there are still others that show it on the mains cap but on the other side of the filter cap. So I guess my question is, Is there any signifagance to where the centre tap is placed? :? :oops:
Oh and what detirmins the placement of the centre tap???
Thanks

Derrick
LesPauls and Marshall's

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: High Voltage Secondary Centre Tap

Post by novosibir » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Depends on the rectifier type used in the amp.

With a bridge rectifier the CT either is disconnected or running between the 1-st filter caps. You never should ground it!

With a full wave rectifier (or a rectifier tube, by principle the same thing) the CT must be grounded, otherwise you won't get current out of the circuit - since the CT is 'closing the circle'.

And now read some books! Ok? :wink:

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery