Multi-Pupose/Multi-function Multimeter

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Multi-Pupose/Multi-function Multimeter

Post by JimiJames » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm using a reliable old model Beckman that I would like to upgrade.
I've built two amps with it already and there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't do capacitance and there is no diode feature.
Is there a quality model other than Fluke (or NASA :?) that's not overly complicated that's does Resistance/Capacitance/Diode that is reasonably priced, not as complex that has capabilities to be in Marshall's value range ?

Curious... if price wasn't crucial then what Fluke or other manufacturer's multimeter & model.

Gotta' build me a 1987/2204 now. :twisted:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

demonufo

Re: Multi-Pupose/Multi-function Multimeter

Post by demonufo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:10 am

Brands other than Fluke seem to vary radically from country to country, so I can't help there...

But I will add, try to avoid autoranging meters if not dropping big bucks on a meter. Too many compromises with autorangers. I know there's the safety element there (supposedly less likely to blow them up) but the accuracy is most often a big compromise.
Even one of my autoranging Fluke's is not so hot.

Metrix are pretty nice if you can find them over there...
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:55 pm

I picked up an Extra Fluke at a Pawnshop for $50. I'll sell it to you for what I paid plus shipping, or the next time I see you.

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:34 am

I use diode and capacitance alot. You need that. My meter came with an added bonus of Henries, should I need to measure a choke. Haven't used that feature, but nice to know it's it there, and something to keep in mind, just in case your curious about that pile of chokes....

That meter was $80 10+ years ago. For most tube amp purposes, I'm not overly concerned with buying a meter as obscenely accurate as a fluke. These aren't semi-conductors. I'd shop features on this one, and I suspect most will do the job. Think I've seen $10 ones accurate to the hundreth place... Works for me. If your trying to measure ESR look elsewhere.

Not trying to upsell MightyMike, but for $50, I'd buy a Fluke all day long, assuming it has the features you need. My company pays up the ass for them(perfect), but we all prefer a cheaper $600 unit, or a far more expensive Time Delay Refractomer. (Electronic Radar), for a different application.

Fluke is electronics Ferrari. We're working on 57 Chevy's... In this context, shop features. If the Fluke has them, all day long.... Otherwise you'll be happy with features,in this context, even in the budget models. Good luck!