Where to start learning?

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Waugh
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Where to start learning?

Post by Waugh » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey so I've been surfing on here about the past two years just reading basically and what boggles my mind is how people just learn this stuff especially back in the day must of been alot of trial and error but marshall's arent so easy to come by anymore so can any and all point me on what you think is a good basis to start learning older tube circuits namely plexi but I know that they are all similar kinda between companies (or from what I've read), from step one and on, I dont even know how to read a schematic or like anything basically, thanks!

danman

Re: Where to start learning?

Post by danman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm

I was in your shoes about seven years ago and I wanted to learn how to work on my amps and possibly build one. I started reading the technical forums like this one every day and grabbed a few books here and there also. It took awhile but it started to slowly sink in and I was able to perform basic maintenance on my amps and then eventually build a few. My advice would be to do a google search or find a book on basic AC/DC electrical theory to get your feet wet. You also want to learn the safety aspects of working with electricity before touching an amp. After you get a feeling for the basics then you can move on to tube and amplifier circuits and start learning how these work. It takes alot of time and commitment but I really enjoy being able to service my amps and build myself one when I get the urge.

EJSLPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 am

Does one have to be able to read a schematic to build a 12000 clone?
I can do soldering and have a knowledge of electronics(Ohms,watts,volts,amperage,resistors,caps,tranny's, etc,etc)
But cannot read a schematic?
What i would like to learn is what each part does and where it goes on a board as well as proper bias,plate voltages,etc,?
Where is the best place to start? Book? here?
My goal would be to get as good as this guy! :shock:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=90

FL6

Post by FL6 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm in your boat and like danman said it's starting to sink in. This book helped ALOT in terms of understanding how an amp works. The first part breaks down the path of the signal and points out how every amp has the same basic layout.

The Guitar Amp Handbook: Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds
by Dave Hunter

If you can afford it, get this book and build a kit at the same time.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 pm

FL6 wrote:I'm in your boat and like danman said it's starting to sink in. This book helped ALOT in terms of understanding how an amp works. The first part breaks down the path of the signal and points out how every amp has the same basic layout.

The Guitar Amp Handbook: Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds
by Dave Hunter

If you can afford it, get this book and build a kit at the same time.
This one right? http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amplifier- ... 087930863X
If so i will order it right now, it is only $12 :thumbsup:

danman

Post by danman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:38 pm

If you want to build a 12000 clone and are not yet familiar with schematics then it might be best to use a kit. Most kits will come with a layout that you can follow and sometimes will include directions. George put together a very nice set of instructions for the Metroamp kits and even though he is no longer selling the kits, you can buy everything you need at Valvestorm and use the Metroamp layout and instructions for the build. If you try to source all of your parts from various places to build your own, you will find out that not everything will work together easily and the build will become much more difficult. Some manufacturers boards are different, their transformers may have a different wire color scheme and their layout may be different from another. Buying a kit will make your first build a much smoother process in the end. Down the road you will become familiar enough with the circuits to build your own from scratch.

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:11 pm

danman wrote:If you want to build a 12000 clone and are not yet familiar with schematics then it might be best to use a kit. Most kits will come with a layout that you can follow and sometimes will include directions. George put together a very nice set of instructions for the Metroamp kits and even though he is no longer selling the kits, you can buy everything you need at Valvestorm and use the Metroamp layout and instructions for the build. If you try to source all of your parts from various places to build your own, you will find out that not everything will work together easily and the build will become much more difficult. Some manufacturers boards are different, their transformers may have a different wire color scheme and their layout may be different from another. Buying a kit will make your first build a much smoother process in the end. Down the road you will become familiar enough with the circuits to build your own from scratch.
This is exactly what i was looking for thanks so much! :toast:
So i can buy the Kit and use a non schematic layout/instructions.
Like i said i know how to ID the value of resistors and caps and even what they do just don't know how to wire it all up to make
a 12000.
Plus after i get a good '68 style built i may want to experiment like others do,
so Valestorm has the complete kits, thats great to hear! :champ:

danman

Post by danman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:38 pm

It won't be a kit but he does sell everything individually and also has a build checklist to make sure you get everything you need. You will have your choice of either the Metro spec trannies or buying from somewhere like Marstran or Classictone. All three make excellent transformers that will work great with your amp.

danman

Post by danman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:47 pm

He is also a member here and I'm sure that he would make sure that you get everything you need the first time to build your amp. If you have any questions just fire away...lots of helpful people here that will help you along!

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:06 am

danman wrote:He is also a member here and I'm sure that he would make sure that you get everything you need the first time to build your amp. If you have any questions just fire away...lots of helpful people here that will help you along!
Thanks you have been a big help with this.
I am excited to see that i will be able to build a '68 style 12000 myself, i was under the impression that without reading schematics i would never be able to do it.

danman

Post by danman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

The main thing is to take your time with it and try to do a clean, neat build and it should fire up the first time with no issues. Try to look at some of the completed builds here and pics of older Marshall amps to get an idea what the amp should look like inside. It is very important to keep the wiring neatly laid out like you will see in these pics. Clean lead dress will leave you with a quiet, well performing amp that will be easy to work on later. Sloppy lead dress will lead to noise and other issues with your amp that will drive you crazy trying to track down. Take your time and do a little homework before you start the build and you will end up with a great amp that will last you for many years!

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi I got that book of Dave Hunter and it is very good and easy to read ,but I could not find the kit to build that amp ,or at least in 2013 it was a dead link I was sent to .And buying the parts from the list was crazy because you have to buy them in 10 or more pieces from some of the suppliers.I would like to build one or two more amps ?? ??

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:37 pm

What would be some other good books to get how about any dvds I need to learn more I would like to some day make my own designs .this very first build of mine it still has some things with it but I am getting their .

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 pm

has any one here built this amp from dave hunters book I was thinking of maybe getting the parts myself and doing it .I am going to build a another Marshall 50 watt clone too one is just not enough.

micahnix1

Post by micahnix1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 pm

I'd like to try Dave Hunters build one day too.