Iskra resistors?

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

revolver1
Just the numbers in order: 7

Iskra resistors?

Post by revolver1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:47 am

Hi all,

I just bought some Iskra's and found I have some 220k 1watt that have no colour codes. Instead it has the value printed in black on it, the resistor itself is painted the usual fawn colour. Does this sound right?

Also some of the others I have the colour code rings seem a bit scrappy compared to iskras I've seen in the past. Again has anyone seen the same thing? Are they just older production?

The actual resistor casing and everything else looks right it just has me feeling a little nervous.

RockinRocket
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Iskra resistors?

Post by RockinRocket » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Can youpost pics? Sounds wrong to me. Iskras, as used by Marshall were 4 band with gold band tolerance 5%, On occasion 10% tolerance.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:47 pm

I have seen some Iskra resistors with the color bands applied rather sloppy but none that had the value printed in black on them.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:39 am

I tried up loading a pic from my phone but the file was too big. I'll have to get it on the computer and sort it out.

I'm starting to wonder if they got scratched up and someone in their wisdom went for a new paint job....

I'll sort some pics.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Sorry about that, here we go. when I look at the pic the camera kinda makes it look better than it does in real life. The 2watt on the right is what I usually expect them to look like but if you've seen them painted sloppy before that's good enough for me. The one I'm most concerned about is the 220k, what do you think?

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:36 pm

still too big

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:50 pm

File size is down to 22kb but it still won't upload. Sorry.

I was going to upload some pics of some Mustards to try and identify what time frame they are from. They have codes C0 and another is 43p, any ideas. They seem to be covered in a fairly thin coat of Mustard, quite smooth. Most of the ones I've seen before have a thicker coating that looks like it has sand in the mix. Any info?

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Tazin,

glad you chimed in. I'm currently engrossed in the post about the west coast organ Co. Loving it! I should probably finish reading it before asking but.... I'm planning a couple of builds at the moment, it will be some time before I can actually do them but I've started collecting parts.

So my original plan was to build a 1987 for my dirty sound and a super bass with headroom for my clean ish sound. My plan was to do the superbass to use for my clean sound but if I wanted to get into some Hendrix vibe I could crank it up and away we go. Now I've stumbled across the West Coast Organ Co thread and its really got me thinking about maybe building a plexi but modded to be a 45/100 with 6550's. The clean ish sound I kinda had in my head was the Hendrix Lulu TV performance of wind cries mary but my fave all time Hendrix tone is BOG at the Filmoor.

I know I need to read all of the 65 odd pages (i'm working on it) but did you ever do the mod? Did you post any gut shots? Alot of it is a bit above me but a gut shot would really show me what to do.

would it be any good as a clean amp set around 3 to 4? I've never herd 6550's in person.

The other thing is do you think current production 6550's could take the voltages?

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:39 am

I've got no idea whats going on with these pictures, I've got it down to 10kb and it still says the board attachment limit has been reached.

RockinRocket
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by RockinRocket » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:55 am

Photobucket. Use the image for bulliton boards. Try one photo at a time.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:49 am

revolver1 wrote:Tazin,

glad you chimed in. I'm currently engrossed in the post about the west coast organ Co. Loving it! I should probably finish reading it before asking but.... I'm planning a couple of builds at the moment, it will be some time before I can actually do them but I've started collecting parts.

So my original plan was to build a 1987 for my dirty sound and a super bass with headroom for my clean ish sound. My plan was to do the superbass to use for my clean sound but if I wanted to get into some Hendrix vibe I could crank it up and away we go. Now I've stumbled across the West Coast Organ Co thread and its really got me thinking about maybe building a plexi but modded to be a 45/100 with 6550's. The clean ish sound I kinda had in my head was the Hendrix Lulu TV performance of wind cries mary but my fave all time Hendrix tone is BOG at the Filmoor.

I know I need to read all of the 65 odd pages (i'm working on it) but did you ever do the mod? Did you post any gut shots? Alot of it is a bit above me but a gut shot would really show me what to do.

would it be any good as a clean amp set around 3 to 4? I've never herd 6550's in person.

The other thing is do you think current production 6550's could take the voltages?
The forum doesn't allow images to be hosted by the forum anymore so now everyone has to use sites like Photobucket or similar. This was done to curb virus's and other nasty critters from affecting the server.
I'd suggest you read the entire West Coast Organ Co thread since it has a lot of interesting things in it....The 6550 debate being just one.
I've never used 6550's nor have I attempted to try some of the mods mentioned by Dave. A few others have and the sound clips they posted sounded rather good. I know Dave mentions the Tung-Sol 6550 many times but unfortunately I don't know how the newer production tubes stack up against these older versions in character or performance.