Power Supply Regulation?

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

revolver1
Just the numbers in order: 7

Power Supply Regulation?

Post by revolver1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 am

Does any one know is there such a device you can plug in to the wall mains power outlet that will kick out a constant a.c. out put voltage to supply your amp with?

If so any recommendations or brand names?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Power Supply Regulation?

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 am

There are AC voltage regulators. I have a Furman unit I use on the bench. They all have caveats though, like this unit adjusts in 3V steps. So, depending on the wall voltage it might adjust to 117 or 120 or 123. Always variable, constantly switching.

If your wall voltage is fairly constant or you know how it tends to run, i.e. high during the day and low at night and such, you can try a Brown Box or other auto-former type device.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:32 am

Thanks George, I think this could be the way forward.

I have a London Underground depot near where I live and the voltages on my out put valves can swing from 460 up to 497 on ocasion.

I have to get up about 3am in the morning to get a stable voltage at worst case scenario. Then right on que around 5am the voltage rollercoaster starts. Of course this causes other problems if I take the amp out of town to play.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 am

So how about this.....

AC/DC were using the Kikusui PCR4000M which is both very heavy 32kg and over the top power handling capability for our meagre requirements not to mention a price tag to match.

I was looking at the PCR2000M wich will handle up to 10amps, since I want to run a couple of amplifiers at the same time. This is for the UK, on 120v it will kick out about 20amps, Not bad at 15kg. It's not cheap but you'd pay more for a R.I guitar these days.

And that's got me thinking, the PCR1000M is quite a bit cheaper. It's no good to me on 235v but at 120v it would have 10amp of current capacity. No reason why i can't run my amps on the 120v tap and save a bit of wedge...

For most the PCR500M is cheaper again and lighter. At 120v it will handle 5amp.

Imagine biasing an amp with a rock steady voltage?