100W Seminar @ Dallas Show vintage Marshall & Metropoulos

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

swankmotee

Re: 100W Seminar @ Dallas Show vintage Marshall & Metropoulo

Post by swankmotee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:29 pm

VintageCharlie wrote:sounds great! so is that the material from the amp seminar or did you shoot some new material instead?
It will be all new but will stick to the format like the seminar.

VintageCharlie
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by VintageCharlie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Hello,

sorry for reviving this, but i'm wondering if there's a chance any of the material from the 100w amp seminar might be published or maybe some new big shootouts have been done with proper recordings that i have may missed? :hairband:

Thanks!

VC

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 am

VintageCharlie wrote:Hello,

sorry for reviving this, but i'm wondering if there's a chance any of the material from the 100w amp seminar might be published or maybe some new big shootouts have been done with proper recordings that i have may missed? :hairband:

Thanks!

VC
I haven't forgotten you guys on that but have been sidelined by the guy who shot the thing not sending me any material and turning out to be a complete jerk so i won't be seeing anything from him. I am working on a studio version of the same seminar which i have all the audio portion fairly finished but as with all things where money is concerned (which i have none of!LOL!) it's taking longer than expected. As soon as I can I will post some of the audio which shouldn't be too much terribly longer. I'm sincerely sorry for the delay and will get it together sometime in the near future.

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 am

Happy to hear that this is still on your radar and thank you very much for your devotion - it's surely very interesting stuff for all of the forum members over here :rock:

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:02 pm

VintageCharlie wrote:Happy to hear that this is still on your radar and thank you very much for your devotion - it's surely very interesting stuff for all of the forum members over here :rock:
Many, many thanx for your patience!

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:06 pm

No, many many thanks for YOUR efforts. :D
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:22 am

FINALLY@!!!!!!!I have loaded up the AUDIO tracks from my seminar/video project for all of you to listen to pre-video! I'm so very sorry it took me so long to get you something but I have been hindered by Doug @ DangerousGuitar.com not following through on sending me any of the footage he shot at the Dallas show so this is the studio version I have been working on with Michael Wagner. I will post back up with more detailed info and background info asap but it's really late tonight and I'm going to call it. Hope this is a good start and all the tracks are located at http://www.soundclick.com/tommyhatcher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the music tab and are in sequential order by year model. Excuse the lame narration but it was only a guide track and not the final. :rock:

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:55 am

Wow! Really happy this happened after all! Thank you so much for your work and time-investment into this! :clap:
Last edited by VintageCharlie on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Cool stuff. Thanks!

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Haven't listened on my headphones yet, but on speakers it seems like the wallace and original 45/100 sound very close, but the original 68 is way sweeter than all of the clones. All clones seem to have some sort of an edgy tone to them which the original simply doesn't have - this is what i have noticed in all the lengthy VH tone threads where people try to nail the tone, but it is always a bit more edgy and cutting. I wonder why the 45/100 seems to be easier to approximate by cloning, while the 68 is seems always to be a bit off.
And though they all sound similar in so many ways, there is still a surprizingly big difference between the 66, 67, 68 originals when they are recorded in similar conditions - each has it's on vibe and now i understand why so many here have so many Marshall amp builds/originals. I myself am slowly moving towards a 45/100, a 68 SL, a 69 SL (or 67 maybe) and a JTM-50/JMP-50. The 45/100 is massive, open and rich, the 68 is punchy, compressed, surprizingly round, without any harshness and the 67 is realy kind of a mix between the two, more in the direction of the 68. The 45/100 is really unique.
Were all amps recorded in identical fashion - same cab/mic placement/mics?
Looking forward to some info on the recording techqnique - cab/speakers (my guess is G12H 75hz pre rola at least in some clips it sounds like these), mic(s) used and placement, as these recordings sound good and give a very nice impression of the amps in the room tone - i can instantly recognize the tone of my own 45/100 clone in the 66 clips, which is very comforting :jimi:
Last edited by VintageCharlie on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:20 pm

oh, and the 20w sounds real nice, but no contest to it's bigger brothers - way less bandwidth, in comparison very little bottom and girth (unsurprizingly), but still a great tone.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:17 pm

VintageCharlie wrote:Haven't listened on my headphones yet, but on speakers it seems like the wallace and original 45/100 sound very close, but the original 68 is way sweeter than all of the clones. All clones seem to have some sort of an edgy tone to them which the original simply doesn't have - this is what i have noticed in all the lengthy VH tone threads where people try to nail the tone, but it is always a bit more edgy and cutting. I wonder why the 45/100 seems to be easier to approximate by cloning, while the 68 is seems always to be a bit off.
And though they all sound similar in so many ways, there is still a surprizingly big difference between the 66, 67, 68 originals when they are recorded in similar conditions - each has it's on vibe and now i understand why so many here have so many Marshall amp builds/originals. I myself am slowly moving towards a 45/100, a 68 SL, a 69 SL (or 67 maybe) and a JTM-50/JMP-50. The 45/100 is massive, open and rich, the 68 is punchy, compressed, surprizingly round, without any harshness and the 67 is realy kind of a mix between the two, more in the direction of the 68. The 45/100 is really unique.
Were all amps recorded in identical fashion - same cab/mic placement/mics?
Looking forward to some info on the recording techqnique - cab/speakers (my guess is G12H 75hz pre rola at least in some clips it sounds like these), mic(s) used and placement, as these recordings sound good and give a very nice impression of the amps in the room tone - i can instantly recognize the tone of my own 45/100 clone in the 66 clips, which is very comforting :jimi:
The cab was a 68' Bass cab with, you guessed right, original cone G12H 75hz's and we played all the amps through this same cab mic'd the same for the entire recording. Michael used two ribbon mic's (I believe Neumann's) directly in front of center on the two top speakers approx 1/4" off the grill cloth and a "head" (styrafoam head with mics mounted in the ear positions) mic about two feet off axis from the front side of the cab. We also used a standard Royer (can't remember the exact model) out in the room for my talk back that added some room ambience and girth. I only had one day to hump all those amps in and shoot the video and record so it was a pleasant surprise that it all came together and ended up sounding very good over all. Shoot me any other questions and I'll get more details on the exact mic's from Michael.

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks for theinfo! Ok, this explains the extremely natural tonality of the recordngs... wow - styrofoam head... some serious stuff went into this. Even more impressive if you did all that in one day... :worthy:
Well, it seems like if that douche from dangerousguitars wouldn't have screwed you over, you probably wouldn't have done a studio version. I suppose the micing was not nearly as impressive in the seminar itself as in the studio - in regard to sound quality (for "amp in the room" tone, not mix context) these clips can hardly be beat - seems like a very fair impression - never too compressed or too close to the cab, etc. and not too dry either. I suppose the Neumanns will be LDC, not ribbons.
Yes thanks, more detailed info on the mic setup would be great. I myself am looking into the Rode NT2A, at some point maybe as stereo pair.

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:26 am

VintageCharlie wrote:Thanks for theinfo! Ok, this explains the extremely natural tonality of the recordngs... wow - styrofoam head... some serious stuff went into this. Even more impressive if you did all that in one day... :worthy:
Well, it seems like if that douche from dangerousguitars wouldn't have screwed you over, you probably wouldn't have done a studio version. I suppose the micing was not nearly as impressive in the seminar itself as in the studio - in regard to sound quality (for "amp in the room" tone, not mix context) these clips can hardly be beat - seems like a very fair impression - never too compressed or too close to the cab, etc. and not too dry either. I suppose the Neumanns will be LDC, not ribbons.
Yes thanks, more detailed info on the mic setup would be great. I myself am looking into the Rode NT2A, at some point maybe as stereo pair.
Yeah, I apologize for not remembering the exact models of the two cab mic's Michael used but will give him a shout and find out for you. It's funny because when he mixed the audio track from the three cab mics it sounded really flat and lifeless to the point that I was really unhappy with the final result and almost thought I would have to scrap it comepletely....I'm just that anal about how I wanted it to sound! But, I noticed that the talk back mic had been on the entire time across the three different camera tracks and blended it in and by a small miracle it WORKED and added back just the little bit of edge and weight from the room to give the amps a more ambient,lifelike sound like you were standing in the room being blasted from the cab. It really is hard to get just the right amount of blend when recording and I have struggled man,many times with engineers to try and get the "true" sound of a Marshall to tape but I am fairly confident with the results here and don't really have any cringe moments LOL! The situation with Dangerousguitar just plain SUX because the tone of those amps in that back hall was truly special and the Sat performance was really good but I guess we'll never know! :evil: Glad you enjoyed it and I'll get right back on the mics!

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 pm

So many of these sound great, but I think my personal favorite is the original 67 SL. What are the specs of that beauty? Dagnall or Drake OT? Is it by any chance a blackflag (dual rectifier), as you talk about Hendrix and Clapton using it a lot. For a 67 that should be a black flag, as this is what both reportedly used quite a bit.
Btw. is the metro a 67 or 68 SL? - in the clip you say 67, but the title says 68?