A Metro-Friedman 1959, A Schaffer Replica™ & 8 Les Pauls

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

SoloDallas
Just the numbers in order: 7

A Metro-Friedman 1959, A Schaffer Replica™ & 8 Les Pauls

Post by SoloDallas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:56 am

In case any one was interested - how a few Les Pauls of several eras (1950s conversions, real PAFs, 1960s Conversions, Hysterics and Replicas) would sound on a Metro-Friedman 1959 Super Lead and a Schaffer Replica™?

You can hear and see part one here. Warning: MY FACE close up and personal. Shot with a fisheye... you have been warned :peace:

Thanks,

SD

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGTQuEzLS1g[/youtube]

SoloDallas

Re: A Metro-Friedman 1959, A Schaffer Replica™ & 8 Les Pauls

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Part Two:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Su0FO5blY[/youtube]

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Dallas,

Tones are so awesome! I love hearing your clips. Your recorded tone is unreal, and I love your playing, too.

I remember the first clip I saw of yours was you with your SG and playing to Gone Shootin'. So awesome, AC/DC shirt, Angus head bob and tone and chops.

Keep up the great work!
Mike

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Janglin_Jack wrote:Dallas,

Tones are so awesome! I love hearing your clips. Your recorded tone is unreal, and I love your playing, too.

I remember the first clip I saw of yours was you with your SG and playing to Gone Shootin'. So awesome, AC/DC shirt, Angus head bob and tone and chops.

Keep up the great work!
Mike
Mike: thank you! Wow that first one was at the dawn of youtube really, that going back to 2006 Thank you :D :clap:

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:42 pm

SD,

I know you have up the newer version showing your Shaffer-Vega. Maybe you can post the original one...for old time sake.... :rock:

BTW-Do you have any vids where you show some of your mic/recording techniques? Getting down recorded tones like these would be excellent. I bet quite a few people in the forum have some amps with killer tones in the room, but just not translating to "tape". I know I can't quite get the tones I want recorded. Lots of trial and mostly error..... :palm:

Any tips or tutorials would be awesome!!!!

Mike

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 am

Thanks Mike... I think that clip is on solodallas.com (I'm quite sure it's there).
Now onto recording techniques: I'm totally with you. That is one of my mid-term projects.
Thanks to the Schaffer Replica, I could finally convince myself to "work" with music - I finally have a paying excuse. As in, this is now my job (and hope it'll pay the bills).

Hence, I am trying to step up in quality of everything I do, including recording.
One of the plans was to do a recording class either in the US or in Europe (or both) with one or two GREAT recording engineers specifically to record classic rock tones. Tips, tricks AND technology (current). I had contacted Tony Platt for this, and he seemed interested, too.

Either than this, I will show everything I do on my blog solodallas.com, but since this is now a "job", I will have to first complete the first phase of our replica distribution (we have about 200 orders already!) and then - once the process is a bit automatised - I will dedicate on other projects such as this one (i.e., getting the most out of our recordings).

I hope to see you when we do this.

Fil

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Fil,

When you created your site, I joined, (same user name there). Haven't been to the site for a while and I have been keeping track of your Shaffer-Vega project here. Will visit the site again to see my old favorite.

I know where my limitations are for recording...room for tracking and monitoring. I don't have a treated room to monitor/track, so what sounds good at the time, ends up being less then ideal when it comes to mixing. Hearing the tones in the proper monitering environment would be the biggest single item for me, (and many others I assume).

While I try to improve the monitoring chain, I am interested in some of the techniques to capture these classic tones, (you nail the AC/DC tones already). Refine that with some input from Tony Platt and OMG would love to see vids on those sessions!!!

Will have to find the interview with Tony, but I think he used a LDC for those sessions. Would love to experiment with SM57, MD421 and some kind some kind of LDC.

My other limitations are preamps, but I do have a GAP-Pre73 and a RNP, so I know they aren't holding me back to getting solid guitar tracks. My room/monitoring and experience and my biggest challenge....O, not to mention my playing ability!! :what:

Thanks again,
Mike

Velva

Post by Velva » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Man, the tone with the first guitar is just perfect and balance. That is what I hear in my head... I just had to say it. Nice playin too!