Feeler.....'68 era Super Tremolo replica with SIR mod

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Feeler.....'68 era Super Tremolo replica with SIR mod

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:10 am

I'm considering a few different options for amps to add to my line up. One of them would be a Super Tremolo based on a '68, with SIR mods. I have a line on a '68 but it won't come cheap. I also have unique access to an SIR amp, through a close friend. That's all I'll say. Obviously, we have a thread here that is 100's of pages deep with info too.

I'm still operating hand to mouth here, so before I tried to pull something off I need to know if there's interest in this type of replica from Metropoulos. Please let me know if you would be casually interested, would wait to see how they turned out, could care less, or wouldn't hesitate to send a deposit immediately. Or any other stance you might have, of course.

I would have to acquire a supertrem, CAD up the chassis and panels, have them made, build a proto and test the mod. So it's not going to happen overnight. But, I wouldn't drag my feet either.
I'd love some feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

neikeel

Re: Feeler.....'68 era Super Tremolo replica with SIR mod

Post by neikeel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:55 am

Speaking personally most here who have built these amps are fiddlers and tweakers (no sleight intended). They also seem to want slightly different things. I went #39 but a lot on the thread went #36 and some for UYI for #34.
Marshall have one out there and there are cheaper versions available (Ceriatone) as well.

Your 68 chassis has 4th tube option, the only difference is the front panel and this one here is a very good replica, all you would need ot do is to mod a cad to suit this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JMP-Tremolo-F ... 35d23f9a05
and this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-Supe ... 35c9c049a7
same would apply if you went the '69 chassis route, after all that is what I did with that chassis you sent me:http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... el#p360236
Your plexi replicas areeasily as good as the best vintage plexis l and the high quality builds stand out.
I am not sure how many people would be up for one of these unless they nailed the exact tones consistently, but many may disagree :shrug:
Neil

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Great reply Neil, thanks! I think a modded plexi could work in my line up, if it had the provenance. Which this obviously does. But, I have to really nail it also.
It's a really cool idea if I can get all the pieces to fall into place. it would probably open up my amps to another demographic too.

But, not to get ahead of myself.......first I need to acquire a Supertrem. I have pics coming tomorrow of one that's been in a closet since '93. Supposed to be a '68, all original except for a master and they didn't drill a hole.

george

herbvis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by herbvis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:02 am

VelvetGeorge wrote: I also have unique access to an SIR amp, through a close friend. That's all I'll say.
george
You holding out on us! :lol:

rdodson

Post by rdodson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:31 am

Early 68 Super Trem on TGP right now, George. I've emailed the guy he just got in on a trade - doesn't know much about it.
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:42 am

I agree with Neil's assessment of the Metro patrons....Most are DIY guys. I think the market for a prebuilt amp like this would be very small, therefore the returns on your investment would be marginal. BTW, why would you want to use a 1968 Super Tremolo chassis instead of early 1970's Super Tremolo chassis for your platform?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:01 am

Good point Tazin, and it turns out the amp is a '70 Super Tremolo. That chassis, with 6 cans on top and two extra holes on front could be an ideal mod platform.

George

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:05 am

I guess my comment would be (not knowing a whole bunch about the Trem circuit) what kind of popularity do the "real" ones have? If there isn't much of a market (or specialized niche market) for the originals would the Metro version have any more? No question the metro would rock and be damn close (if not better than) to the original. Just hate to see you spend time and resources that might not benefit the biz, Bro.

Maybe you need to do a "focus group" on the next Metro! Maybe it's time to offer a hot rodded Metro?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Ferrari-Dude

Post by Ferrari-Dude » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:12 pm

NY Chief wrote:Maybe it's time to offer a hot rodded Metro?
+1

Make something unique with old-school build quality.

I'd say your chances of producing a winner would be very good.
-Dono

1972 Marshall Super Bass
"Can you hear me now?"

joepete

Post by joepete » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Frankly I have wondered why you never chose to put out a hotrodded take on a plexi yourself. Many others did just that with info and parts from you old kits to begin with. I don't think your target market would be the DIY type on this forum though, more the boutique crowd with big $. Maybe offer up a few different takes such as a mod 5 type, sir, maybe a Jose inspired would be cool and maybe one chassis could be used possibly. :rock:

Roe

Post by Roe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Ferrari-Dude wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Maybe it's time to offer a hot rodded Metro?
+1

Make something unique with old-school build quality.

I'd say your chances of producing a winner would be very good.
+2 on hot rodded metro using a post 69 trem chassis
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:18 am

I'm fully on board with the metal panel trem chassis layout. Probably the best classic Marshall platform for any mods that add a pot or two.

george

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:10 am

Like you REALLY NEED an excuse for another project????? :wink:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:37 am

If you've got THE SIR modded amp, meaning #36, then I think you'll sell amps like hotcakes. If its one of the others, I would think you'll get some buyers but maybe not a ton. Now, your own hot-rod... that's the ticket!

I would be an interested party to see how it comes out and to hear it or even play it, but some of those (like me) who've been in on both SIR threads since the beginning are all the tinkering type I would think. I certainly am not a market analyst though!

I'll be waiting with interest for sure either way!

herbvis

Post by herbvis » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:22 am

6burgh wrote:If you've got THE SIR modded amp, meaning #36, then I think you'll sell amps like hotcakes!
I would have to say I would buy one of those for sure if it was a perfect clone of the actual #36 amp. :dlr: